Marvin Gaye - 'What's Going On?' Turns 50 today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What's funny, there is no special 50th anniversary release. The only thing new for 2021 is an exclusive Target LP on green vinyl. I can't believe that Universal hasn't taken advantage of the anniversary to make another buck by issuing a special anniversary edition. Maybe because there have been so many special re-issues in the past?

dlemaudit likes this.
  2. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Stellar album. Ground-breaking, thought-provoking and ahead of it's time. It's almost as relevant now as it was in the day.

oboogie likes this.
  3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I know this thread is about the single and I love it. But as so many people commented on the album: the album is awesome too. Absolute classic and I love it from start to finish.

Can’t say I listened to it for the full 50 years, though. I learned about it through the Robert Palmer cover in the 80’s.

4. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Amazing album, perfect early 70’s sound. One of my all time favorites, for sure.

Timos and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  5. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

[​IMG]
    ;)

6. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

'What's going on' Is a desert Island disc for sure.:drool:

tedg65, ARK, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

IIRC, the last draft was around ‘73. They were doing it by birthdays picked out of a lottery. Luckily I was a high number. OTOH, I lost 5 friends. 3 dead, the other 2 came back as total wrecks.

Great music like this album was probably the saving grace for us back then.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Fantastic album. I used to have the 2001 Deluxe edition but sold it and got the 1985 cd. I miss the Detroit mix, though

9. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

A 99.999999% perfect album.

(OK, I have OCD, but the three second gap between the first two tracks really bug me, when clearly they are meant to.flow together like the rest of the album.)

10. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

The CD deluxe edition (2001) includes a 1972 concert from The Kennedy Center that is really fantastic. Liner notes says it was his first performance in 4 years and includes most of the LP studio musicians. Not the highest fidelity recording but its been one of my favorite live recordings since it was released.

Daddy Dom, ARK and Mr Sam like this.
  11. HalloweenJack95

HalloweenJack95 Forum Resident

A Masterpiece I have yet to own.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Will listen to my Matousek-mastered promo copy on secret Quiex vinyl today! Not easy to come by but the Quiex vinyl is certainly an asset on this album. :)

13. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I'm a couple days late, but I don't want to miss a chance to salute one of my favorite albums of all time. Timeless in my opinion.

rainingdogs likes this.
  14. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Truly a milestone. I must say I prefer the Detroit mix, though.

dlemaudit and rainingdogs like this.
  15. the_doctor

the_doctor Forum Resident

Whoops - I didn’t even notice it’s about the single. Looks like I’m in good company though :D

16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Motown or Universal don't really seem to make the most of their back catalogue do they. Lesser albums have received lavish 50th anniversary super deluxe sets.

There is also a question mark in my mind about what is in the vaults - I always get the impression that there are so many riches that have not been released.

For example, I remember reading years ago that only about half of what the Jackson 5 recorded at Motown was released. I know there have been a few archive releases for them but they seemed to be released in quite a haphazard way, spread across various releases - there doesn't seem to be much knowledge of what is really left in the vaults if anything.

Over the years they have released boxsets and '2 albums on one cd' editions of various Motown artists but it doesn't feel that they really go to town on catering to collectors.

dlemaudit and ARK like this.
  17. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

as a percussionist in high school band there was a top shelf in a filing cabinet with odds and ends, including a guiro...

when played loud it is more annoying than the claves

:D

Mbe likes this.
  18. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

the album is a perfect mix of the church soul music and a permanent buzz

Detroit Rock Citizen, ARK and oboogie like this.
  19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

One of my all time favourites. Clearly the work of a genius.

ARK and oboogie like this.
  20. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

fantastic song, album, and cover; leather jacket, popped collar, raindrops, the man himself. A+

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Wow, Happy 50th. A masterpiece.

I get this record out and spin it every year, for some reason, when I go to put my Christmas tree up. Has become a kind of a tradition.

Timos and 7solqs4iago like this.
  22. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

One of the greatest concept albums of all time from 1971 my favorite music year (along with 1967:shh:) . Lyrics that unfortunately are still relevant today
    The production, super emotional vocals and great songs that flow effortlessly into each other, that adds up to a great classic album.

This might be a stretch to some people, but the production kind of reminds me a bit of an early 70s "Pet Sounds", with its huge echoey sound

tedg65, Timos, Buddybud and 3 others like this.
  23. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

frightwigwam likes this.
  24. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

I am going against popular opinion, but very overrated in my opinion. Apart from the title track, I just find it boring.

Frangelico and Col like this.
  25. Jonathan Halen

Jonathan Halen Forum Resident

Rare Marvin Gaye instrumental album made available for very first time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.