Marx Bros. Early Films Box is great!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tim Casey, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member Thread Starter

:righton:

The Coconuts is from the same source, though it looks like they did some frame blending to smooth out jumps in the really crappy material (could it actually be 8mm film?).

Animal Crackers looks better than I remember the laserdisc looking, but I didn't A/B them.

I looked for edits in Duck Soup, but couldn't find them (I didn't watch the film all the way through yet). There's no foley sound on the mirror scene in English, but if you switch to the spanish track (if that's the alternative language), you'll hear the awkward foley attempts. Then again, the whole Spanish track is already a foley, so who cares?

$42.99 at Best Buy. Nice packaging!

The "extras" DVD is probably the shortest DVD I have in my collection - 12 minutes tops.

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thanks for the review, I should be receiving mine in the next week or two from amazon.ca, along with the Beatles Capitol Albums collection. I'm looking forward to watching the films. Good to have it confirmed once again that the edits were just rumours. I was concerned about that.

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I can't find an unscratched disc of Horsefeathers. Every copy I have examined have the same two parallel scratches on the disc (probably a manufacturing error). Anyone else have this?

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Ah, that might explain why the UK DVD has foley sound in the mirror scene :agree:. I couldn't understand why they would got to the trouble of adding sound to just that scene. It makes much more sense that they just grabbed it from one of the foreign language tracks! Still, it's no excuse for such revisionism :realmad:.

It sounds like I will have to sell my UK set and get the US one instead!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.