Marx Bros on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hard Panner, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'd sell them ASAP, before this set becomes common knowledge.

2. Myke

Barnes And Noble : $40.90 + sales tax / free shipping.

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I think this is one where I'm in no hurry, I'll wait until it gets dirt cheap. If that takes a year or 2 I'm ok.

I'm getting tired of upgrading to blu ray and paying too much seeing the prices later on just tank in a year or 2.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I agree 100%. I've had that happen too many times in the past. I'm pretty good now at waiting for some significant price drops.

fr in sc and GuildX700 like this.
  5. Myke

$9.00 per film is " dirt cheap," and already a " significant price drop." Sell your DVDs, and put that towards these.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I hear you but funds are tight. I can wait until it's reduced even a little more. I know I'm cheap but at least I'm crazy..... :)

Myke likes this.
  7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

When it hits $18 for the set....then it WILL be cheap.

8. Myke

$3.60 per RESTORED HIGH DEFINITION film, yeah, that should be in the Dollar General bin by Christmas, right. :rolleyes:

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It will happen, or close to it. 1 or 2 years, $25ish. This is not going to fly off the shelves. Most of the folks that like this are dead.

10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

JeffreyB and Myke like this.
  11. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

Sadly, there are plenty of people these days (and not just young people) who won't give something a chance, just because it's old.

There's been plenty of times on the music forums where someone made the comment about the fans dying before a hoped for archive release comes out.
    I love the Marx Brothers, but these are old movies, most of the people who saw the film in the theater on original release are gone, now.

fr in sc and GuildX700 like this.
  12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Exactly.

14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Using your argument re-releasing any old movie is a waste of time. My kids grew up watching the Marx. I look forward to sharing them w my granddaughter in a couple of years (and with better quality than ever).

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I've seen these films in the theater (not during the original run mind you), and I'm still here! :realmad:

Plus, the Marx Brothers are still very popular, there was a live theater revival of their first Broadway musical I'll Say She Is here New York which sold out its entire run, so there are still Marx Brothers fans out there, whipper-snapper!

To paraphrase Groucho Marx:

"He may look like an idiot, and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot!"

16. Not a waste of time, but not a potential financial windfall either -more a labor of love that may make a small profit. Kudos to you for sharing these movies with your kids. I have a friend that did the same thing with his kids and they grew up to love the Marx Brothers (I had my own success with the Little Rascals and my kids).

vinnie, Alan G. and GuildX700 like this.
  17. Yes, there was a revival of the Marx Brothers movies in the 60s and early 70s (my first exposure), but their popularity like all other things black and white has taken a huge dive. Sad but true.

GuildX700 likes this.
  18. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Those old stuffy broads didn't know who they were up against.

19. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Are you mad because you're still here?
    I've seen Buster Keaton and Laurel And Hardy movies in the theater, but not the original run. This isn't really relevant to my point. Even with revivals, the Marx Brothers will never be as popular as they were when they were producing movies. Their target audience were movie goers during the active part of their career. Only the youngest of their original fans are still with us. This is our loss!

I'm 47 years old!:)

Just to be sure, who are you referring to as an idiot?

To paraphrase Groucho:

"That's Ms. Bozo to you!"

20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

21. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Here is something to consider.
    I know Horse Feathers is still chopped all to heck. Am I the only one who is thinking this could hurt sales as well? We will probably never get a more complete print of this film, but part of me thinks it will turn up as soon as I get my copy.
    Then, I'll have to buy the next set as well.
    Of course, I would be more than happy (not love happy) to buy these films 2 more times, if it meant a complete Horse Feathers.
    If Cocoanuts sounds and looks better, it will be worth it, regardless.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  22. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Okay, now I'm drooling!
    Thanks for sharing!

MRamble likes this.
  23. Myke

I don't memorize these films to know what's missing, and what isn't.
    I just know they make me laugh.
    The fact that I never felt a need to acquire them on home video, past taping off TCM, is nothing short of a Blessing, since the restoration announcement was made a year ago.
    At 58, I'd have never fathomed owning these, plus all the Three Stooges shorts, in chronological order, as well as W.C. Fields, and Laurel and Hardy films.
    Saying I'm both thankful, and amazed, doesn't cover it. And it all started with my first VCR, in 1979.

24. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

No need to memorize the film. The scene in Horse Feathers that takes place in Thelma Todd's room is almost unwatchable it is so cut up!

Pete Puma likes this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Not a bad strip job of the last VHS covers except for Monkey Business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.