Mary Poppins Returns (???!!!!)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by feinstei9415, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Sorry, not getting the negs. Picking up my granddaughter later today and am seeing it for the third time. Had the CD on in the car for days and I really like the songs (except for Streep's attempt. How did that get through?? She must know somebody).

Peace N. Love, Dan C and forthlin like this.
  2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I thought it was wonderful and I really liked the songs. They weren't as good as in the original but how could they be? My only complaint was the theatre seemed to be incredibly dusty, and it got into my eyes on occasion ...

forthlin and Andy Smith like this.
  3. Andy Smith

Must have crossed the ocean then, as my eyes kept watering occasionally. Damn dust.....

marka, forthlin and adm62 like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I really liked Mary Poppins Returns, but I have to admit this critical essay brings up some good points. And I also agree that the new film tries to recreate a lot of the 1964 original's moments, beat for beat, just in a slightly different way. I think this was a "damned if we do/damned if we don't" problem, where if they had tried to be TOO different, people would've complained about that as well.

The Challenge of Playing Mary Poppins

[​IMG]

5. More Marvels Peggy Carter than the original Mary Poppins.

[​IMG]

audiomixer and Vidiot like this.
  6. Andy Smith

Hot. And much missed.

Hey....thinking about a Marvel/Disney connection...I reckon there’d be money & mileage in a Mary Poppins-Wolverine team up....
    (Or is he one Disney don’t have? I can’t keep up...)

7. Off topic but Haley Atwell is one of my very favorites actors who does a lot of theater in London . She deserves a new smart contemporary role right now.

Andy Smith likes this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I am a bit sick of everything being over analysed these days. I loved the movie, so my choice is not to read people trying to pick holes in things. When it comes down to it it is all about whether you had an enjoyable evening in the movie theatre or not. I did.

9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Continuing off topic, but Hayley Atwell is the main reason I went to see Christopher Robin. Eeyore was the second.

Mazzy likes this.
  10. Exactly. Why so many loved Bohemian Rhapsody. I know Queens history and had no problem with artistic choices that moved around history. It was just wonderful entertainment

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I enjoyed it, too, but I think the writer made some good points.

12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Actually, I went to see Pooh! I really like Hayley Atwell, but I thought she had a very minor role (as in they didn't give her much to do) in this film. But I understand why. The movie is about Pooh and the other hundred acre wood characters and their relationship with Christopher Robin. And because the characters are for young people, they also develop a relationship with little Madeline. There really wasn't much of a role for Ms. Atwell, and frankly I don't know why they cast someone of her talent in such a role.

13. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Took my family to see Mary Poppins yesterday. My children ages 9 & 6 liked it. My wife and I thought is was pretty good as well. I had no idea this was even out until my children asked to go see it.

14. Well she was reunited with Ewan McGregor. They were in a Woody Allen film together which was her first film role.

dewey02 likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Watched it tonight after dinner out with family visiting from out of town, a nice fun film.

16. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

I saw the original when I was 10 and enjoyed Mary Poppins Returns at least as much. These new songs are terrific and may evoke sweet nostalgia in decades to come. It was also fun to catch a bar or two of the wonderful songs from 1964 in this film’s arrangements. More than half of our audience applauded after the final shot. Ten thumbs up.

Dan C likes this.
  17. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I saw MARY POPPINS RETURNS, and enjoyed much of the songs, and IMAGINE THAT, the "Bedknobs and Broomsticks'(I agree, and B&B's BEAUTIFUL BRINY song was initially written for MP) and TRIP HE LIGHT FANTASTIC are memorable; also saw (1964) the original MARY POPPINS in the drive-on when I was three.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I went to an early matinee and the theater was half full of very young kids. They all applauded at the end which was really fun to see and hear.

chacha and Dan C like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

chacha, Dan C and longdist01 like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Makes sense to me it makes more in the second week because the week before Christmas is always hectic, the vacation days after Christmas you’re looking to do things with the kids.

chacha, audiomixer, vertical and 2 others like this.
  21. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

When I saw it, there were actually a half dozen people in the audience dancing as the end credits rolled. Never seen that before. Great fun, charming and a fine night out.

Dan C, chacha and Vidiot like this.
  22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, they got pages to fill every day. The key information was that Mary Poppins Returns went up in box office the second week, which is extremely rare for current films. Usually, every week goes down after the first one.

Dan C likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that it had everything to do with what Ghostworld said (below) about the week after Christmas, then anything to do with the movie itself.

25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

We saw this over the holidays, and generally enjoyed it. I thought the casting and overall look of the film was fantastic.

I think it could've been trimmed about 15 minutes though, without really losing anything.

I also left the theater wondering about the Meryl Streep role. It almost made me wonder if that was originally offered to Julie Andrews as an opportunity to be in this one. It might have worked better with her in that role than Streep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.