Mary Poppins Returns (???!!!!)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by feinstei9415, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Julie Andrews refused to make a cameo in the film because she wanted it to be Emily Blunt’s show and not take any attention away from Emily’s interpretation of Mary Poppins.

https://pagesix.com/2018/11/30/why-...utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

seed_drill, Dan C and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I wondered the same thing about Angela Lansbury's part. Seemed to me like it might have been written in there for a cameo for Julie Andrews, and when they couldn't get her to do it they used Lansbury instead.

Aggie87 likes this.
  3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Lansbury was the perfect choice for that part, especially since she’s also a Disney Alumni with ‘Bednobs & Broomsticks’ and ‘Beauty & The Beast’.

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

True - she is so perfect it had me wondering if she was in the original Mary Poppins and I had just forgotten. I had to look it up.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Saw it last Saturday, thought that it was OK at best. Songs were not memorable. I don't remember one after leaving the theater and I am a movie and live theater music production fan.

That is fine, but time does march on...

If anyone does and does it make memorable children's songs for movies, it is Disney and they rarely, if ever strike out on children's movie music.

For me to come away from a Disney movie and not feeling the music, I don't ever recall that happening, ever.

100% with you on that.

I felt that this movie did not have a "flow" to it. It seemed to just have a bunch of different things stitched together, without any rhyme of reason.

I think that the movie was well cast, but we were just barely getting to be close with the characters and that was not enough.

I think this was their problem. Either do a shot for shot remake and call it Mary Poppins or don't. When is Hollywood doing a remake of a movie anything to be surprised over?

Since it is, Mary Poppins Returns, then you have a completely clean slate to do something entirely new and original.

I don't think that the audiences in general really warmed up to the movie. Not at all the fault of the actor's (see below)

I saw the trailer for Bumblebee and thought that it looked promising as a fun and entertaining movie.

Saw Bumblebee today. I liked it much better than MPR. Here is basically an action movie, where you like the CGI robot and felt that he was more "human" than the real human's in MPR.

Both Bumblebee and Poppins came out at the same time and were just about even in production costs and today, Bumblebee is about 40-M ahead of Poppins in world wide box office receipts.

Out of curiosity, I picked a early Friday evening showing's advance reservations for both movies and a Saturday afternoon advance reservations for both and there are exactly equal at eleven total each, for both days, as of right now.

With MP being an movie icon, it should have made a far better showing than it has.

Bumblebee on the other hand, should be congratulated.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Many were surprised today to discover that Mary Poppins Returns only got 4 Oscar nominations, which omitted Emily Blunt's performance, the visual effects, and the film itself for Best Picture. It did get four noms for Best Original Score, Best Original Song ("The Place Where Lost Things Go"), Best Production Design, and Best Costume Design. That's quite a snub for a film for which Disney had high expectations.

8 Biggest Snubs From The 2019 Oscar Nominations

It's hard to say that the film was a bomb, since it's made $307 million (on a budget of $130M), but I think it's fair to say that Disney was hoping for a lot more. The original made $102 million back in 1964, which is roughly equivalent to $819,000,000 today.

Julie Andrews was keenly aware that there would be comparisons between Emily Blunt's performance and her own, so she adamantly opted to stay out to avoid being a distraction in the film. Even under a lot of makeup, you'd know it was her. Plus, the role required the "Balloon Lady" to sing, and Andrews' voice was damaged years ago from botched surgery.

seed_drill and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

With regard to Emily Blunt's performance. She did a good job, she was Mary Poppins.

As to a Best Picture nomination, not even close.

8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Stan & Ollie should have gotten some Oscar Nominations too, John C. Reilly definitely deserved one for his amazing portrayal of Oliver Hardy, as well as the incredible makeup.

bobbyhol and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

I don't know how relevant that the movie would be with modern audiences, but I would have liked to have seen this one.

Steve Carras likes this.
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

It’s playing now. Definitely check it out.

Steve Carras and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

Released at the very end of December, has only yet to gross just over $800k, that is so sad!

That is what is wrong with cinema in America.

Steve Carras likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's only playing on 84 screens, so the film isn't even accessible to most movie-goers.

Not that it'd be a hit if it got a broader release, but you can't really blame movie-goers - they can't see a movie that's unavailable to them...

Steve Carras, Dan C and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. SandAndGlass

It is not the movie goer's that I am blaming. I picked up the fact that was only playing on that many screens.

I also picked out that 92% of the critic's on the Tomatometer approved of it and 96% of the people want to see it.

And that doesn't get the attention of theater owner's and the distributor's?

In the old day's, in order to put a movie into distribution, you had a big expense of making physical prints of the movie and all of the associated expense of storing and shipping them.

Today, with digital releases, the cost of additional releases are zip.

Not having seen the movie, I can't comment, but still, it should have garnered some attention of academy member's.

Steve Carras likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

FWIW, I think "Stan and Ollie" is expanding to more screens this weekend.

I looked at the listing for my nearest AMC and they'll have it starting Friday. Previously it'd only been at the local "arthouse" AMC.

RT also lists it in their "opening this week" area, even though it's been open for a while, so I suspect it'll take a pretty notable leap in screens.

It's still not gonna be a hit, but at least it'll be accessible to more viewers...

Steve Carras likes this.
  15. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Closest theatre playing “Stan & Ollie” from me is 125 miles away. In Winter. Rats.

Steve Carras likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Even after the "wider" opening this weekend?

Steve Carras likes this.
  17. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Saw Stan and Ollie today, it was lovely. Re: Poppins, unfortunately the theater I saw it at had the sound cranked way too loud, it sounded brickwalled, so it was fatiguing it that respect. Enjoyed the speacial effects but thought the songs a tad weak.

Steve Carras likes this.
  18. Get in the car with the moose and drive :tiphat:

Steve Carras and Alan G. like this.
  19. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Nope.

20. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Blasphemy!

Ghostworld and Mainline461 like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

Dick makes his appearance at the end of the movie as the owner of the bank, which he was previously put out of.

The guy is 91-years old and that is actually him dancing on the desk.

You have to give credit where credit is due. Pretty remarkable performance!

Steve Carras and Peace N. Love like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

It's interesting. A young girl by the name of Pixie Davis, play's the part of Annibell in MPR's.

[​IMG]

She also played Bronwin in the movie, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016).

[​IMG]

That's her, holding up the rock.

[​IMG]

It is interesting how Miss Peregine , played by Eva Green, is much like Mary Poppin's in character.

Note that Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016), is directed by Tim Burton, who also directed Dumbo, which also stars Eva Green.

Steve Carras likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Miss peregrines started off great and developed well but he has no ending and the silly romp killed the movie for me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

They are a series of books. The Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children book series by Ransom Riggs includes books Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Hollow City, Tales of the Peculiar, and several more. See the complete Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series book list in order, box sets or omnibus editions, and companion titles.

Never read the books. Don't know how closely the movie followed Peculiar Children.

I took the little one that I was watching to see the movie, we both enjoyed it.

Mostly, I was just commenting how much alike Miss Peregrine and Mary Poppins character's are. Very "English" prim and proper before warm and friendly.

The little girl in MP, looked familiar a bit, but I couldn't put my finger on just where, so I looked her up.

I thought that it was interesting that she played the little girl in two different movies, where the lead character's were so much alike.

25. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

But it's on video now.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.