Mary Poppins Returns (???!!!!)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by feinstei9415, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Mary Poppins - A-Poppins-Calypse.."Michael Bay, please pick up the unecessarily-exploding white phone...your agent on Line 3..."

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

How much magic can they capture if the songs don't live up to the standards of the first one? some of those tunes were fantastic.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I just watched the trailer, and I just saw all I needed to see:

Music by Marc Shaiman
    Songs by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman

Marc Shaiman wrote the music for Hairspray, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut and Down With Love. From Wikipedia:

Marc Shaiman is a Grammy, Emmy, Tony award-winning, and multi-Oscar-nominated American composer and lyricist for films, television, and theatre. He is perhaps best known for writing the music and co-writing the lyrics for the Broadway musical version of the John Waters film Hairspray.

The only reason he didn't win an Oscar was that his best songs from South Park were obscene.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Good news, thanks

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The Banks about to lose their home (to the banks?) so Mary Poppins takes them in a robbing spree in Texas where they're chased down by Ranger Jeff Bridges and his Indian partner. With songs too. Is that the one?

audiomixer likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Also, director Rob Marshall knows musicals - Chicago, Nine and Into The Woods.

7. Chris DeVoe

Emily Blunt can sing:

Not a big Sondheim fan so I didn't really love Into The Woods, but she was good in it.

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Looking forward to this. If PL Travers allowed Disney to make more Poppins movies back in the 60's I wonder how many would've got back then and if Julie would've been game to do more?
    I'm all for this. Emily Blunt is great and there is a lot of material that Traver wrote to make more movies based on this character.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

It looks fantastic. If the story is good, then maybe so.

If course nothing can top the original. Its part of our childhood. However, they are bound and determined to do these type movies so Im hoping its a nice surprise.

10. Chris DeVoe

Julie Andrews has made appearances supporting this film. And she, of course, is practically perfect in every way.

Hamilton composer Lin-Manual Miranda is in the Bert type of role as a lamplighter.

dewey02 likes this.
  11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Consider: Michael Caine appeared in Sleuth (1972) as the young protagonist and then in the 2007 remake (45 years later) as the older protagonist (the same role played by Lawrence Olivier in the original).

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

SandAndGlass and Frankh like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I got into a screening over the weekend (very bad seats, but hey, it was free) and I'm still coming down from the high of the audience. What a film. It's the best musical I've seen in years, and everybody loved it. There's some terrific surprises in it, and I loved it from start to finish. I'll predict right now it's gonna make a ****ton of money and win a boat load of awards.

Some inside interviews and stuff at this link:

Oscars: Disney’s ‘Mary Poppins’ Returns, at Just the Right Time

[​IMG]

I don't think it's better than the original, but ya know, it comes a lot closer to recapturing the charm and fun that the 1964 film had than I thought it would. It's got a lot of fun and energy and exuberance, and yet doesn't ignore the depression-weary days of 1935 (when this sequel is set). Emily Blunt is not nearly the singer that Julie Andrews was, but I actually think she's a better actress and has more to do in this film. I'm gonna stay quiet until it opens in a month, but let's just say I'll be very surprised if anybody is disappointed.

It goes without saying that the effects and color and lighting and technical work is almost beyond imagination. They told us that the film was finished last summer (!!!), so it's been in post-production for a whopping 18 months. That will give you an idea as to the level of VFX magic involved with this film. I would bet there's about 2000 effects in this thing, some of them jaw-dropping.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Original is inbedded in my brain.
    Guess for a new audience it's alright.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Emily Blunt wise decision not doing Sicario 2 over this.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont usually do remakes. But Ive had a good feeling about this one from the beginning. Im definitely up for watching this.

Plus, if Dick Van Dyke has a cameo, I have no choice.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not a remake -- a 25-years-later sequel with the Banks children (Jane & Michael) as adults, beset with children and problems of their own.

Dick Van Dyke's cameo got a huge rush of applause... but I will say no more.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm glad to see he's still acting, and seems to still be sharp as a tack, too. I've always liked him in everything I've seen him in.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And this man can dance. His fake-British accent has improved.

20. Chris DeVoe

Dick Van Dyke's hobby is 3D animation, so it'll be interesting to hear if they let him hang out with the special effects team.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I swear, my former assistant took an After Effects class in the early 200s, and Mr. Van Dyke was among the students attending the school. True story. He apparently likes to "dabble" in effects, just as a hobby.

22. Chris DeVoe

And I was doing stuff in through using 3ds Max, some members of the community had worked with him helping him out with particularly tricky bits. He would see an effect and then try to reproduce it. I remember that he had done his own water tentacle after seeing The Abyss. Really sharp guy, although very shy.

Animated by the very idea of it

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Right. After watching the trailer again, I see that. Which is even better.

Since it is a sequel did they at least take some liberties as to not make it seem like a remake?

24. Chris DeVoe

Travers wrote a number of Poppins books, so there's no need to remake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.