MASKED & ANONYMOUS: Ebert no like

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pdenny, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient Thread Starter

Half a star. Starting to sound like RENALDO & CLARA II. Has anyone here actually seen it yet?

2. Matt

Matt New Member

Nobody seems to like it very much. The best review I saw gave it something like two and a half stars and simply called it 'messy.'

The feeling seems to be mutual among Dylan fans. A big disappointment of a movie.

The only part people like (and just about everyone seems to agree on this) are the musical segments, especially those with Dylan and his recent band, the one featuring the double guitar attack of Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton (arguably one of his best touring bands ever, definitely top three).

I've only heard "Down In The Flood" from this film, and it's very good, but for some reason, it doesn't knock me out the way the 2000-2002 Dylan shows did, with the same backing. I'm probably just nit-picking, though.

3. GabeG

GabeG New Member

This almost wasn't released because the reaction by those who'd seen it was so poor. It was unanimously torn apart by Sundance. From what I've been told, Sony released it in hopes of helping the soundtrack.

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Rolling Stone had two reviews, one from the stand point of the general moving going public (panned it big time) and one from the stand point of a Dylan fan (must see).

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

pdenny,

That's a great quote from Springsteen. Where and when did he say that? I love it. :)

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient Thread Starter

Found it HERE. A fabulous Van site.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, longtime critic Peter Travers pretty much dissed it, Austin Scaggs liked it the way some of us dig RUST NEVER SLEEPS: great things may be going on at times, but the average person would be baffled, so strictly for the more ardent fandom. Both are probably right.

Ebert the critic can amuse sometimes. He's the guy who, when reviewing THE LITTLE MURMAID, called "Kiss The Girl" reggae, when of course it was calypso. I'll bet the late Gene Siskel didn't let him forget it, either....

ED:cool:

8. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Yes, but what if you really liked the live performaces RENALDO & CLARA ?

It may just be another Hearts Of Fire - Bob's last acting gig.

9. Matt

Matt New Member

Yeah, Renaldo & Clara got abysmal reviews, but for a loooong time it was the only official document of the 1975 RTR tour. Not ideal, songs are incomplete and the "dramatic" parts are terrible, but it was better than nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.