Masked Singer singing competition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 2, 2019.

1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...CHOCOLATE PUDDING wrestling;)!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Somewhat sure that the bee is:

Linda Greene (of Peaches And Herb)

Clues:

Visual clue in video (peach), legal issues

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    MikaelaArsenault and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  3. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...A Bobby Brown reference!;):agree:

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It's what is happening for next week.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

So many of the the shows that I see advertised on TV could be something out of the movie Idiocracy.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i teach with a guy who cites things from that movie that are really happening all the time.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The movie is funny and even though it takes place 500 years in the future I have to agree with the guy you teach.

8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Someone had this on at the dialysis center I go to, and I found myself watching a bit of the end last night. The TV was muted, so I was only watching the visuals. Seems like the most ridiculous thing I've ever witnessed. They spent like 5 minutes milking the big "reveal" at the end.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Dr. Brown's Celery Tonic wrestling!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The most ridiculous thing I can imagine witnessing is someone judging a singing competition without any sound.

Grand_Ennui, Fastnbulbous and Osato like this.
  11. Gems-A-Bems

While the fact that we live in Idiocracy isn’t news I disagree that “The Masked Singer” is a symptom or cause of that. In fact, it seems like a very old-fashioned game show to me. Or perhaps I’ve just missed the millions of complaints that “What’s My Line” is responsible for the death of culture.

12. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Oh, no, no. It was STAN LEE who was responsible for the death of culcha!:yikes: Didn't you listen to Bill Maher? Yep, weren't it for Ol' Smiley, Henry James adaptations would be filling the multiplexes and The New York Review Of Books would be outselling the Enquirer:cry:(Spoken by someone who has, in the past, subscribed to the NYRB and still gets the Web freebie...I somehow feel compelled to say:angel::D!).

="Gems-A-Bems, post: 20449884, member: 21288"]While the fact that we live in Idiocracy isn’t news I disagree that “The Masked Singer” is a symptom or cause of that. In fact, it seems like a very old-fashioned game show to me. Or perhaps I’ve just missed the millions of complaints that “What’s My Line” is responsible for the death of culture.[/QUOTE]

13. Trace

Trace Senior Member

This...
    Idiocracy (2006) - IMDb

The dumbing down of America. Who knew we were truly watching a movie about the future back in '06. I thought it was just a mindless comedy....

edit: I see some others beat me to it.

14. There are far dumber shows on TV- every soap opera ever made for instance. At least this features real people actually singing.

MikaelaArsenault and Osato like this.
  15. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

But it's easier to attribute the decline of humanity to some goofy TV show like this.

MikaelaArsenault and kevywevy like this.
  16. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...CHOCOLATE SYRUP WITH OATMEAL MIXED IN wrestling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint::shtiphat:(with Kaopectate and alum sprinkled on top)

17. MikaelaArsenault

The Poodle turned out to be Margaret Cho.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Soap operas are all but dead on American television. There's, what, like 4 currently-running daytime soaps left. They've basically been replaced by Lifetime/Hallmark romance movies. Audiences are too busy to keep up with 1-hour daily dramas. They need their drama and romance wrapped up in self-contained 2-hour morsels.

19. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

:crazy:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  20. MikaelaArsenault

Can we get back to the topic which is The Masked Singer? Thank you.

jriems likes this.
  21. Gems-A-Bems

Soap operas are all over US TV. They just aren’t called “soap operas” anymore.

MikaelaArsenault and Osato like this.
  22. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, the show's judges aren't even judging this as a singing competition. They are judging this like "What's My Line?" It's a celebrity guessing game disguised as a singing competition.

Half the judges' comments are about height, weight or how the singer moves, because they're trying to guess the celebrity. If someone sings well or badly, the judges then say things like, "They can sing, so that's probably a professionally trained singer behind the mask!" or "That sounds like a non-professional singer, so maybe that's an athlete behind the mask?"

The weirdest thing is when the judges guess an A-list celebrity who probably wouldn't appear on this show.

23. Gems-A-Bems

They’re more hosts than they are judges. Their votes only count as much as every single studio audience member’s count.

24. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I watched the premier and it looked dumb so I changed the channel.

rod likes this.
  25. Gems-A-Bems