Massdrop Sennheiser HD-6xx (aka. HD-650) $199

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by whaiyun, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I found out about these phones today and ordered a set. 20$ discount for 1st time purchase. Tax and shipping included 220$.
    Massdrop is shipping today. I guess I timed it well.

2. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Insane deal for these. Insane. The box is worth that. :) Kidding (kind of) but I've had a pair for a year or two and I put them back in their box after every use. Terrific phones!!

BDC likes this.
  3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The HD6xx are a special item that Massdrop keeps in stock and ships each day. They're not a normal style drop that you have to wait several weeks or a month or more to ship.

BDC likes this.
  4. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I’m in: $180 for Black Friday.

action pact and DonnyMe like this.
  5. electrotek

electrotek New Member

Had free pads valued up to USD$60 too (now sold out). HD58X will go on sale Cyber Monday for ~USD$135

Radio likes this.
  6. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Will these pair well with my Pioneer A-20 elite 2-channel amp with the MASSDROP OBJECTIVE 2 HEADPHONE AMP running thru the TAPE OUT? I almost exclusively play records (Rock, R&B/funk, some soundtrack stuff), occasionally CDR comps. I usually like a lot of bass, use very worn Sony MDR-XB500 with my portables, but looking for a more natural/neutral sound for this. Have never used open-back cans before so I’m looking forward to hearing the difference but also hoping I don’t lose ALL the bass.

Also, will my amp remote still adjust the volume or will I have to use the volume on the headphone amp? (That’d kinda suck). I’ve never used/needed a headphone amp before, never had any headphones nicer than the Sony’s (great headphones for $50 when they came out and I heard Ashford & Simpson thru a friend’s pair!).

I was hoping to grab that Little Dot MKII tube amp with them for the fun of it at that price but it’s sold out so it seems the O2 is my best option for the price.

Also CONSIDERING the MASSDROP X MEZE 99 NOIR CLOSED-BACK HEADPHONES to replace my Sony XB500’s for my portables (iPhone/iPad, laptop, and CD player)- the ear pad covers have disintegrated, and I often tie them tighter on my head with a rag for better clarity. Don’t want open back cans on the sofa when partner is watching tv or when I’m listening in bed. Anybody recommend these? They are beautiful.

Thanks..

7. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

The Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx are my every day version of headphones that I listen to. I actually prefer the Massdrop version over the regular Sennheisers. The paint job is much better in my view. For around $200 I don’t see how you can beat these headphones. I will admit to being a Sennheiser user for about 25 years or more.

8. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Yep the 6xx’s are a great deal, I love mine. The only headphones I have that sound better cost about 5x as much!

groovelocked and Maxwell Edison like this.
  9. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I think that there's NO paint job (like the new 660s)... the older 600s and 650s paint would chip. Now they're just pure plastic, but won't chip!

10. Maxwell Edison

Maxwell Edison New Member

Love these phones. Probably the best sounding headphone under 300 - that sounds like 3k headphones.

11. bizarrolarry

bizarrolarry Active Member

Does anyone know if these headphones can be driven by a 10 ohm headphone output on my preamp?

12. Maxwell Edison

Maxwell Edison New Member

They are fairly easily driven - your phone can drive these (although are helped by a little power behind it), I would try it. Start with your volume level low and incrementally turn it up. Won't know until you try. :righton:

I purchased the DAC/Amp combo that they offered at a discount - also with the velour pads. Heaven, man.

13. Bedlam Inside

Bedlam Inside Member

Like the paint job - then try thses units brought out to match. The ZEN CAN Signature is supposed to bring out the best in the 6xx and a wide variety of other Senns as well from what I've read, I was just cruising threads and saw you are a Senn fan. Think I've also read that iFi will sell it as well at some not so this unit and the ZEN DAC Signature will be available outside DROP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.