“Mastered by Nimbus” CDs question.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashgordon, May 25, 2007.

1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

My mind is probably confused by the fact that the latter-day-Beatles Harrison tracks found on this comp had yet to be issued on CD, and would have been the only Beatles tracks in stereo out on CD at that time.

Thanks for the info.

Harry

2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

yeah nimbus are great and old...

3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I found the a same NIMBUS CD with 3 variations:

Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): CAD 211 CD : NIMBUS ENGLAND
    Matrix / Runout (Variant 2): CAD 211 CD :: 2:1 MASTERED BY NIMBUS
    Matrix / Runout (Variant 3): CAD 211 CD :: 2:3 MASTERED BY NIMBUS

which comes first? first nimbus just says "Nimbus England" later says "Mastered by Nimbus" :confused:

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

What 4ad cd is that Stenway?

5. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

It's my understanding that the number of "dots" is what you need to look for. I believe the first one you have listed is the earliest (with two : "dots", not four :: ). Actually, I'd guess you have them listed in the correct order. I'm not a Nimbus expert, but I do know they eventually opened up a plant in the States (Virginia?). So, if it doesn't say "ENGLAND" in the matrix, it's probably a latter pressing.

6. c-eling

Was the US Nimbus owned by the UK? ,thanks for the info Todd

7. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I think so. Actually, I was scanning this same thread and I may be wrong about the "dots" - although I have earlier pressings with fewer dots (anywhere from 1 to 4). I think all your answers may be on page one of this thread.

8. c-eling

Great thread, thanks for bumping Stenway! Even has a visit from an old US employee, cool history!

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Cocteau Twins - Garlands, 1st UK 4AD press

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

Cool! Nice find!

11. c-eling

I think I have only one Nimbus England, CT-The Pink Opaque

12. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

The earliest Nimbus discs are with "Nimbus England" in the matrix ring. Later copies have "Mastered by Nimbus".

stenway and StimpyWan like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Probably at least half of my CDs from 1985 onwards were Nimbus titles.

mario villarroel likes this.
  14. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Thanks for the interesting info :cool:

I have 2 cd editions of the industrial band Test department - unacceptable face of freedom , both cds are UK pressing - Some Bizzare records 1987 ) one cd mastered by Nimbus and the second without the Nimbus , the Nimbus cd has higher peak levels and louder than the cd without the nimbus , the Nimbus cd sounds Significantly superior and more clearer compared to the second cd
    so it seems that each cd has different mastering , oddly the Nimbus (the superior cd ) is very very rare and the other cd is easy to find .

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    StimpyWan and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

Interesting observation, I really need to check them out, as a big Industrial/Electro nut I'm surprised I missed them, Especially when I was following "A Split Second's" career, thanks for the reminder!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  16. Front 242 Addict

The unacceptable face of freedom is a must, the music is a celebration of dark electronic sounds, dramatic Speeches and industrial music by use of iron, metals, hammers , scrap metal and building tools .
    enjoy the album/ cd :) You will not be sorry you bought it.

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

Thanks, I'll try to search one out, I remember hearing about them back in the early 90's, I'm thinking I never purchased because they may have been import only, I don't recall any US labels picking them up, Surprised Wax Trax! Chicago didn't, right up their alley :)

18. Front 242 Addict

19. c-eling

Cool thanks! No problem, They are quite used to Official Version, well except for the hammers ;)

20. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

Smooth, are you sure that the V would indicate that it was a disc manufactured at Nimbus' Virginia plant? I have a disc that actually states MADE IN U.S.A. in the matrix but has no V.

21. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Nimbus already had 2 operational UK plants, at the time that the Virginia plant was being built. So originally, after our replication area was operational, we pressed CD's using UK sourced pressing stampers. Later, when the Virginia plant was fully complete, we could then use our own in-house glass mastering department, to produce our pressing stampers. As such, the (V) catalog band designator, was added to our glass mastering produced pressing stampers, to identify our stampers, from UK stampers. So, the (V) definitely stood for CD's created at our Nimbus site, near Charlottesville Virginia.

As to catalog band identifiers and variations; there could be a couple of reason for this. Firstly, beside pressing CD's, Nimbus also built and sold LBR (laser beam recorder) mastering cutting lathes. These LBR's could be customized to create any text in the catalog band, that the LBR buyer desired. So, even though the CD looked like a Nimbus CD (using a Nimbus catalog band font), it was probably from a different company, using one of our LBR's. Or, it could be a CD replicated at our plant, but by a client that didn't want the Nimbus name in the catalog band. The company wanted their own name to show instead, which we would accommodate, for an extra mastering fee.

22. SecondHandNews

23. SecondHandNews

Was there more than one plant in the U.S. other than the Charlottesville, Virginia plant? The disc I have shows the record label that the CD was on in the matrix and states MADE IN U.S.A., but doesn't say anything about Nimbus. And it also doesn't have a V. In the example you gave about the client not wanting it to say Nimbus, did they also have the option of not having that V?

24. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Basically no, there was only the one Nimbus plant in Charlottesville, VA . Later though, we became a part of Technicolor. But, we were the only Technicolor plant using a Nimbus LBR in Glass Mastering.

As to the MADE IN U.S.A. catalog band; that's what I explained earlier. We could vary our catalog band info to anything that we or our client's wanted. That included leaving off the "Mastered By Nimbus" logo, the "(V)" logo, and adding any catalog band text that was requested. As such, the MADE IN U.S.A. discs were ours, but manufactured for a client that didn't want our info to show. This wasn't an unusual situation for us. We had dozens of client's that requested unique catalog band info, so that's what we provided.

havefun6699 likes this.
  25. SecondHandNews

Gotcha.

StimpyWan likes this.