Mastering questions for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by softtech, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. softtech

softtech Forum Resident Thread Starter

Questions for Steve

I have read the many interviews with you and haven't seen these questions covered (I hope I haven't missed them). With your permission, I would like to ask...

1) Is it more difficult for you to be asked to remaster a recording that you love dearly as opposed to one that you have no real feelings toward or one that you, personally, dislike. Do you approach the project any differently and which will tend to take more time and energy?

2) Have you ever been involved with mastering a recording, that is, do you only do reissues or have you ever been involved in the initial mastering for a recording? If so, which one(s)?

3) Do you request that your name appear prominently on the work that you do or are the labels doing it for their own marketing reasons (as the symbol of quality that it is)?

4) Am I correct in my belief that in the work that you do you always convert from analog to digital at the very last step and that to the extent that you do any processing it is always using analog tools? If not, can you explain how you have done otherwise and why? If so, why?

Thanks very much for your time and I hope that I have asked some thought-provoking questions.

Regards,
    Emery

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

1) Is it more difficult for you to be asked to remaster a recording that you love dearly as opposed to one that you have no real feelings toward or one that you, personally, dislike. Do you approach the project any differently and which will tend to take more time and energy?

It's more fun for me to "remaster" something I love, but not more difficult. Easier actually, because I know the music so well. When I master something I'm not familiar with, I do my homework thoroughly!

2) Have you ever been involved with mastering a recording, that is, do you only do reissues or have you ever been involved in the initial mastering for a recording? If so, which one(s)?

I master many "new" projects. Usually pro bono for struggling artists, or musicians that I feel could use some help.

3) Do you request that your name appear prominently on the work that you do or are the labels doing it for their own marketing reasons (as the symbol of quality that it is)?

It started after the label found out that their LP's would sell more to the "collector" market if my name was on there. ("Hey, this album was mastered by the Buddy Holly guy, it might be good!") That type of thing.

4) Am I correct in my belief that in the work that you do you always convert from analog to digital at the very last step and that to the extent that you do any processing it is always using analog tools? If not, can you explain how you have done otherwise and why? If so, why?

That is the way I do it, yes.

3. Steve, I'm not all that fond of this lp but about a billion other people are:
    I was playing Dark Side Of The Moon, which I found on the MoFi cd for
    $8 or so and in spots, I think the regular EMI release from 10 years ago
    actually sounds more "accurate". I wonder what that upcoming SACD
    might have sounded like if you were the guy who did it.

Btw, why did DCC never tackle this release? The market was big enough to sell two labels'
    'Night At The Opera'

Your latest (in my collection, The Zombies on Audio Fidelity) sounds so open and airy,
    just imagine the right 1st gen tape thru those WAVACs onto SACD . . .of DSOTM.

"Quiet desperation is the english way" indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.