Mastering Questions for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Steve,

Two questions about your mastering techniques: How many times do you listen to an original master tape before you begin to construct your "new" master for either LP or CD release? Do you ever obtain a mint original LP or 45rpm of what you are about to master to listen to, as a reference, prior to beginning your mastering project?

I know as a serious home recordist that I will definitely listen to a "new" CD through my headphones prior to recording on to my reel recorder in making my music compilations. I have learned from my home recording experience that there can be substantial sonic differences between a Hoffman, Inglot, Drake, Norberg, Reeves, etc. mastered CD such as output levels, dynamic range and tonal variations. I will tell you that music mastered by you records extremely well on to my reel recorder--very easy to work with!

Thanks!!

Bob :D

2. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Bob,

here's a quote from an older interview with Steve, which can be found under http://www.vintagerock.com/hoffman.html:

910: Say you're doing a McCartney title -- what's the process you go through?

Hoffman: I'll retrieve the original English Apple version, original American, and second and third American pressings. The German version. I listen to the 8-track, cassette, their CD, the Columbia CD -- everything to hear what the vision was originally. I've heard every song a million times. I know everything about the album. I've done my homework.

Hope this helps,

Arne

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Many Thanks Arne

Arne,

Thanks! I have read the interview and it was very helpful in answering my questions for Steve.

I like your avatar.

Bob :)

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I just noticed ArneW's avatar.

Thought that album looked a little weird.

Funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.