Mastering the DCC "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK" soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Malone, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Steve

As an avid listener of film music and, in particular, the recordings made by Eric Tomlinson. The DCC RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK CD sounds fabulous and, along with Intrada's NIGHT CROSSING album, is probably the best presentation of an Eric Tomlinson recording made at Abbey Road during the 1980s.

In mastering the RAIDERS disc you have brought out a great presence to the violins and brass without introducing high levels of hiss. Indeed, you should also be commended for not trying to cover it with heavy-handed noise reduction techniques.

From the album cover I gather that RAIDERS was mastered from 2-track (15 IPS) tapes. In addition to the 24-track session masters, I understand that Eric Tomlinson prepared live 6-channel Dolby A mixes to an 8-track Studer A80 during the sessions. I gather that the live mixes were not available when mastering your disc, hence the use of 2-track material. Is this correct?

What was it like working with the RAIDERS tapes? Did they need any special treatment or special EQ settings?

I must also commend you for avoiding dynamic range compression on this disc. Most other Eric Tomlinson recordings, such as the STAR WARS trilogy, seem to be track-slammed on CD. Do you feel that compression is overused in mastering of symphonic soundtracks?

Thanks for your time and great ears Steve!

Chris Malone

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi Chris and welcome!

Six channels of music wouldn't have helped me at all; I was cutting an LP and stereo CD! I used the original two-track Abbey Road mixes, unissued at the time I think..

The tapes needed a bit of "taming". I did that with a special vacuum tube insert stage that added much needed "body" to the music (I thought).

Other than that, not much else was needed.

Compression is something I never, ever use in mastering. Music has to breathe to sound lifelike. What is the point of squashing a full orchestra down to pee wee size? I also never used noise reduction. It hurts the music and hurts my ears.

George Lucas loved what we did and that made me happy as did Johnny Williams. That was a good thing because our release permit counted on them liking it! We pressed them a handful of GOLD CD's of our Raiders title as a special treat.

We got some great music from a great film out there that had not been heard before.

On a side note, I was lucky enough to see the first "answer" print of RAIDERS at a night session at USC way back when. The film was due to be released in a few months and the producers were there to basically show off the new projection room at USC. I remember looking in the booth at the 70mm print with separate mag soundtrack for each reel. Believe it or not, we knew NOTHING about the movie except that both George and Steven were involved with it.

When the movie started with that mountain as the Paramount logo I knew something neat was going to happen and it did. Wow.

That was one of the best projected films I had ever seen.

At any rate if I can help you more, just post!

IronWaffle likes this.
  3. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Wow! Thanks for that, Steve. Of course, I've got to ask everyone who has encountered him; What is George Lucas like? He seems like a really cool guy. I'd like to hang with him at Skywalker Ranch and listen to some tunes with him. Of course, what are the odds of that happening?

Do you "tame" tapes a lot?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nice guy.

I tame 'em if they need it. The trick is to know when and when not to.

5. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I love that Raiders soundtrack.

I was always curious why it was never a gold CD to begin with as I'm pretty sure it came out when DCC was making golds.

6. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info -- much appreciated!

I too think that compression is unnecessary for orchestral recordings. Why remove the dynamics the composer/conductor and engineer worked so hard to capture in the first place! What I can't understand is why it seems to be used more than ever during mastering. The 1993 STAR WARS Trilogy 4CD box set vs the 1997 2CD Special Edition discs are a good case and point. The former sounds natural and dynamic, the latter is slammed to 0 dB to the full detriment of the music.

I'm glad George Lucas and John Williams enjoyed the RAIDERS disc. It's just the right length and seems complete, even though it isn't quite. As I say, I think it is one of the best presentations of an Eric Tomlinson recording from the late 1970s onwards. I just love the in your face brass and wide stereo image.

Cheers
    Chris Malone

7. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Boy!! I would like to get my hands on one of those gold discs!! :agree:

8. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I have the European pressing of DCC Raiders of the lost Ark (manufactured and marketed by Silva Screen, as stated on the back cover) and all I can say is that sounds absolutely wonderful, live and dynamic.
    I think that's the only recording mastered by Steve I've ever listened to, given the sound of it, and being a Van Halen fun myself, I'd like to get the DCC release for Van Halen first album.

I agree, I've been listening to the soundtrack for Return of the Jedi this evening (I have both the 1997 Special Editions and Sony Music DSD remasters) from the 1993 Arista boxed set and this one sounds much much better, to much compression on the former two versions and lack of high frequencies.

9. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I just listened to this for the first time and it is very dynamic. Sounds great, lots of horn but it's never shrill or ear piercing.

10. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident

After reading this thread I checked online for a secondhand copy... and luckily found one, for just £3! A bargain if ever there was one. I'm looking forward to hear this classic soundtrack in the best possible quality :)

PH416156 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.