Matthew Rhys is “Perry Mason” in HBO limited series? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 27, 2017.

1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Perry Mason. It is just me or have I heard that name somewhere before?

These Hollywood writers never cease to amaze me (with coming up with something new.)

No. no. no. no. no. Please leave Columbo alone.

Just one more thing...

there will 'never' be another Peter Falk.

EVOLVIST, Tord and Pete Puma like this.
  2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I just hope this does not delay the 3rd Sherlock Holmes film.

Downey must like crime stories.

3. Television today is so much more interesting that the motion picture works for the most part. You can develop a character mire deeply over ten or so hours.

Deesky and chacha like this.
  4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I would much rather see that, now 30 years later!

5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree that there will never been another Peter Falk, but I think it is possible that someone else could take on the role of Colombo. Like with other roles, it's just a matter of the right actor, someone who can make the role his own without coming off as trying to be a clone of Falk in the role.

However, I'd only like to see a new Colombo if they can bring something new to the basic series. It should be more than "let's just bring Colombo back because it was popular once" (likewise with other series).

Still, I'm sure there are other literary fictional detectives that we haven't seen on the big/small screen before. That would give someone a chance to make a detective his/her own without comparisons to a previous version.

6. It could be great. He won't mimic Raymond Burr but instead create am original Perry Mason from the original books and hopefully great stories and screenplays.

7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I hope that it is better than `The Judge', which is one of the worst movies ever made, imo.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'd rather see an HBO series based on Gardner's "A. A. Fair" novels. . . Donald and Bertha would be a hoot done correctly.

Steve...O likes this.
  9. daca

I would like agree with you, but two things:

1) Hollywood will take the easy way out. The money is too easy to take, especially with pay cable. They don't have to do any creative work, Erle Stanley Gardner took care of that for them. And while it is strictly a guess, my money is on this happening to the "new" Perry Mason series
    2) Inevitably, people will always compare a new Columbo to Peter Falk and Downey Jr. to Raymond Burr.

Again, no one is filling Peter Falk's shoes and if I could bet, I would take the under on Downey Jr. filling Burr's.

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

If they don't keep the theme music, they are idiots.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Just a suggestion, but...

[​IMG]

12. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Just my opinion but the Cool/Lam books are among Gardner's best. Great plots, snappy dialog and very memorable characters. A couple TV pilots failed largely because the books would never pass standards and practices back in the day. Elisha Cook Jr would have made a great Donald Lam and Kathy Bates (when heavier) would have been an ideal Bertha Cool. Obviously that pairing never could have happened but it gives a sense of what the characters would be like.

There were some comments about PM already being done. The same could be said about Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marble, and Nero Wolfe. Popular detectives never go out of style, they just get reintroduced for new generations.

Lonson likes this.
  13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

If they don't use this song as the theme, I'll be surprised. Seriously.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I totally agree, but does the guy need to play a character we've already seen in 300 TV episodes?

The word is that Downey tried to develop it as a feature and got nowhere (for several years), but Netflix jumped up and said they'd do it as a 10-episode series... so there you are.

budwhite likes this.
  15. Well if they go back to the original source material and style then it's Perry Mason or Raymond Burr) in name only.

And there is the obvious thing about name title recognition gets a larger initial audience

If this thread was about Downey to star in an HBO legal show then it probably would have already died.

budwhite likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm just saying... it's been done. We already know who and what Perry Mason is. It makes as little sense as making a new Tarzan movie (and they tried that, too). My question is: why not try a new idea that's never been done before? New stories, new characters, new situations? I'm guessing they don't do that because it's too hard and would take more trouble.

SomeCallMeTim, budwhite and daca like this.
  17. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Like Sherlock Holmes, maybe?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. daca

Exactly! I have said this ad nauseam in virtually every remake thread.

Peter Falk is forever Colombo and Raymond Burr is forever Perry Mason.

I should have been a Hollywood writer. I coulda been a contender.....

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, like Ripper Street. That was loosely based on a well known figure, but the story and the characters were new, interesting and exciting.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. SunnyPhila

SunnyPhila New Member

Robert Downey Jr. is so charismatic, I think he would be great in a role like this! :love:

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It's funny. I can actually see him doing this. Being all smart and witty in the courtroom.

[​IMG]

22. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Netflix? I thought this was supposed to be HBO?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Though that is not the character of the Earl Stanley Gardner novels or of the classic 1950s/1960s TV show.

24. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I hope this one has some action,the original show was..Booooooooooooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!!zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The thing about Perry Mason that I don't think people will accept any more are: the confessions.

We'll see - I have HBO and I'll give it a shot.

Pete Puma likes this.