Matthew Sweet's Zoo Entertainment Era Albums Reissued By Intervention

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Apr 25, 2018.

1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

https://www.interventionrecords.com/records/matthew-sweet-180g-lp-series-subscription/

Artist-Approved Expanded Editions

100% Analog Mastered by Ryan K. Smith From The Original Master Tapes!

Ultra-Quiet 180-Gram Vinyl Pressed At RTI

Exquisitely Restored Jacket Art Printed by Stoughton

Intervention Records and Matthew Sweet are proud to introduce an amazing NEW Artist-Approved reissue series, Matthew Sweet 1991-1995!

In 2018 Intervention is releasing 2-LP Expanded Editions of Sweet’s 90's power-pop Trilogy, Girlfriend, Altered Beast and 100% Fun, plus the Son of Altered Beast 7-song EP, which appears on vinyl for the very first time!

PRE-ORDER THE LPs now, and we'll ship them to you as they arrive. 100% Fun is due in late May/Early June, Altered Beast in July, Son of Altered Beast in August and Girlfriend in October.

Each Expanded Edition double-LP set of the three classic studio albums is loaded with extra tracks. So many of these songs are either appearing on vinyl for the very first time or seeing official release for the very first time. And for Sweet completists, these LPs are the most extensive collection of extra tracks compiled and packaged with the studio albums the songs were recorded for!

All four LPs are 100% analog mastered from the ORIGINAL ANALOG MASTER TAPES by Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound. The original 15-song repertoires for Girlfriend and Altered Beast are for the first time spread across three LPs sides for maximum sound quality and the ability to PLAY LOUD!

The ultra-quiet 180-gram LPs are pressed at boutique press, RTI in Camarillo, CA.

The jacket art for Matthew Sweet 1991-1995 has been faithfully restored by IR’s art director Tom Vadakan. The three Expanded Editions feature beautiful “Old Style” gatefolds printed onto heavy blanks and film laminated by the wizards at Stoughton Printing. Son of Altered Beast features a single-pocket “Old Style” GATEFOLD jacket by Stoughton as well.

*International customers, we thank you for your business! Due to calculating shipping costs correctly there are two paths to ordering this set. First, you may click above and order the LP Series Subscription bundle, in which case we will ship the entire set to you once all the LPs are in stock by the end of 2018.

*Your second option is to contact us at contact@ interventionrecords.com for a 10% discount code. Then order each LP individually, a separate order for each with the discount applied. The postage will then calculate correctly for each individual LP and you get a discount on the LPs.

*We apologize for this inconvenience, as we love our international customers always do our absolute best to satisfy our customers around the world. Thanks!

2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I won't be buying these but they're all really great power-pop albums and definitely worth a look for any vinyl fans of the genre. My fave's 100% Fun but Girlfriend seems to be a lot of folk's favourite.

John Bliss and Crimson jon like this.
  3. HappyFunMiles

HappyFunMiles Forum Resident

ElusiveDisc has these for pre-order and has SACD pressings! HALLELUJAH!

4. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

I am in! With the extra tracks too! I wonder how intervention worked that out?

IR Shane likes this.
  5. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

For these releases I will call it "Divine Intervention Records". I'm in!

6. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

I have tried to preorder the bundle but it tries to charge me shipping. I thought the preorder got free US shipping. Am I doing something g wrong?

Alan

lightbulb likes this.
  7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Has anyone calculated/received an email regarding the final costs ?

Single album costs
    Vs
    Subscribed bundled album costs

8. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Was there any discussion to include the 'goodfriend' disc as an sacd? It was originally a promo then released on the 2 cd deluxe edition, then got a vinyl release in 2016

9. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Single albums priced at $40 except for Son of Altered Beast which I think was $28. So that is $148 individually probably with shipping cost versus the $135 bundle with free shipping.

lightbulb likes this.
  10. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Hm! I'd be up for a 100% Fun expanded reissue... Elusive disc lists the hybrid SACD as a July 2018 release.
    Shame the Girlfriend hybrid SACD (Nov 2018) doesn't expand more fully (given the Goodfriend bonus disc a few years back).

John Bliss likes this.
  11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Very cool. Matthew definitely deserves a reissue campaign, and this looks mighty tasty. The bonus tracks cover some of the spare tracks from singles/imports but not all of them (. Goodfriend would have been a great addition to this, but maybe in the future. Interesting about the SACD, I didnt know anyone was still making those.

John Bliss likes this.
  12. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident

I think Goodfriend was re-released last year for November RSD. Honestly I'm more interested in the other albums, Kimi ga Suki most importantly.

Anyone else think the price is a bit high?

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  13. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

It is pricey but this looks like an absolute labour of love so I think the price justifies the time and effort. People pay a lot more for Mo-Fi and other audiophile label releases. Nice to see "Son of Altered Beast" getting a release. I love that EP. "Superdeformed", "Ultrasuede" and a great cover of "Don't Cry No Tears". It's too bad they couldn't slide his cover of "She Said, She Said" from the Born To Choose compilation in there somewhere.

breakingglass and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  14. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I wonder why Blue Sky On Mars was left out, it was released on Zoo.

levi and Grohlfan like this.
  15. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Maybe they can release an SACD of Goodfriend/Son of Altered Beast eventually. This announcement is such a pleasant surprise!

16. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

"Happiness" from the Kids in The Hall movie Brain Candy is another period cracker. An absolute smash of a track.

Fullbug and sans_matty like this.
  17. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I would imagine they want to make sure they make back their investment on producing these, so are focussing on his 3 sure fire classic albums, that will be essential to his cult fanbase. Blue Sky on Mars has its moments but it is a big drop off from its 3 predecessors. Maybe if these go quickly they might re-issue BSOM and In Reverse in 2019.

18. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

These were analog recorded? Who wojld have guessed? I love Girlfriend I have the Deluxe CD but I will definitely be buying AAA vinyl. I don't listen to other albums so much I actually bave an original vinyl of 100% Fun I wonder if thjs was AAA or more likely cut from a digital file.

IR Shane likes this.
  19. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Ordered. Instant "Yes". :)

IR Shane likes this.
  20. Woodville

Woodville Forum Resident

Count me in on these. I’ve got the original Classic Records versions of Girlfriend, Altered Beast and 100% Fun – but will need to have (most of) these too.

Girlfriend restores the 3 “bonus tracks” that close the CD. Listening to that on vinyl has always felt incomplete. Altered Beast is spread over 3 LP’s instead of the original 2. First time on vinyl for Son of Altered Beast. Add in the bonus tracks (most new to vinyl) and the promise of analog mastering from analog tapes and I’m super excited. Not sure that was the case with previous reissues.

I bought the RSD vinyl issue of the Goodfriend collection when it came out but they did a poor job with that one. My CD sounds tons better. It would be nice to see a quality vinyl reissue of that one. It’s a great partner to Girlfriend and an important piece of his discography.

Engineer X and IR Shane like this.
  21. van1

van1 Forum Resident

A deluxe 'Goodfriend' that mopped up these tracks along with the extra tracks / covers on the 'I've been waiting' cd single would be great, save me $20 just to buy the IBW ep

2 She Said She Said (Live) 3:07
    3 Mr. Soul (Live) 4:06
    4 Does She Talk (Live) 4:21

22. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

$40 for 2 platters of AAA goodness seems reasonable to me. I paid about $35 each for two of Intervention's Joe Jackson releases and thought they were worth every penny.

funknik and IR Shane like this.
  23. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

The 2006 Legacy edition of Girlfriend sounded awful / compressed compared to the 1991 original release. The Legacy edition had the "Goodfriend" bonus tracks but they were also compressed. Fingers crossed that the Intervention SACD is more dynamic - sounds like that label has a great track record.

bobcat, IR Shane and Woodville like this.
  24. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I’m in for these the Plain reissue if Girlfriend is a disaster.

IR Shane likes this.
  25. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I found a copy of that record a couple years ago for $10. I was shocked. But looking at Discogs there are still a few in the US for a decent price