May I know your thoughts on the sibilance?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Agnes, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

How else should "all Queen songs" be interpreted?

Chemguy and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

She sells seashells by the seashore....is a classic!

3. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I looked up "sibilance" online and I still don't know what the hell this thread is all about.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's that raspy sound you hear on pronounced s's, t's, and sounds like hi-hats and cymbals. It's when those elements aren't clean-sounding. Mistracking on your phono cartridge, or even the tweeters on your speakers can cause it.

pickwick33 likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ah, first thing I thought of. If your stylus dangles at an angle, it gives your grooves a mangle. Getchez a nice magnifying glass, and check and see if your needle's hitting the LP at a 90-dregree angle.

Grant likes this.
  6. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

There's a lot of distortion like this in older recordings when they let the levels go into the red. Especially in 70s punk recordings.
    On the plus side, you can buy some worn punk LPs at a discount if you look and you often don't notice the scratches as much.

7. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I said in my first comment "The only examples that come to mind are all Queen songs".

There are a few examples that I can think of.

All of them are songs by Queen.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

May I know your thoughts on the sibilance?

My favorite band of the late 1970s.

DK Pete likes this.
  9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Sibilance. Sounds like something off of Pink Floyd's More album.

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

That's a lisp. Itssssss not ssssibilance...

Anyhow, I must say that it is a particular annoyance of mine, from Paul Simon's debut to Sweet Baby James and onward. Some of my favourite songs are marred by bad mics and mixing and whatever else is responsible.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sorry, I misread / misinterpreted your post. I apologise.

Out of curiosity, which other Queen songs do you have in mind?

12. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

No apology necessary. I'm not much of a Queen fan--I basically gave up in the late '70s--but I just thought of the first three Queen songs that popped into my head and then went to listen on Youtube and all three seemed to exhibit this --Brighton Rock, Tie Your Mother Down and Somebody to Love. I think it's mainly the way Mercury pronounces his 's' sounds and not an issue with the recordings themselves.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I hear sibilance on the Graceland cd that drives me crazy. Same for Simon and Garfunkel cds.

Tsomi and Chemguy like this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It could be in alignment, but tracking too lightly.

There could be many reasons. The cart/tone arm could be just fine, but it could be the record itself. Maybe it was cut bad, or maybe it's damaged.

15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Sibilance doesn't bother me at all. If it's inherent in the original recording, I don't need it to be removed or touched up to mask it. Many artists I like have sibilance present in their recorded vocals. Yes, Freddie Mercury from Queen had this on some of his vocals. He also had an overbite which can contribute to this as well plus he had a slight lisp. Would I like to have the sibilance removed from Freddie's vocals? Hell no! That's what gave character to his vocals. Other artists such as Nico and Tom Rapp from Pearls Before Swine have some sibilance present but it does not bother me. It's part of the recording and part of the art of it all. Paul Stanley of KISS has sibilance on some of his vocals as well. Does it ruin the music for me? No. It gives the music it's unique characteristic stamp from the given artist.

16. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

Don’t believe it bothers me much, but I was thinking an example would be George Michael on the blu ray of Symphonica that I have.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I thought that too when you first posted. You do hear every 's' prominently on those records. I noticed that on Tie Your Mother Down on a cheap record player when I was eleven! I like the sound of it though. I think some early Floyd (Meddle, Obscured By Clouds) is recorded that way too, with very prominent 's' sounds.

18. Agnes

Agnes Member Thread Starter

Ahhh...You are funny

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have a CD - Dan Bern's Fifty Eggs - which is great, but man you need to watch the sibilance. Ani DiFranco produced. Such a fun record though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.