McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Huzzah! Part 21

theMess likes this.
  3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Wow. Hey there. :wave:

theMess likes this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

This thread is old enough to buy us all a drink...

5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I remember the "Early Days" of the first thread. :righton:

theMess likes this.
  6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Anything NEW going on here?

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

So you WERE where it was at? :agree:

Cracklebarrel, theMess and RickH like this.
  8. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I suppose the latest news is the Save Us video released earlier today.

theMess likes this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

My least favorite of the modern era Macca LPs. Can't believe you guys have filled up 20 threads on it!
    :doh:

10. 5th-beatle

11. Beatles Fan 4 Life

Beatles Fan 4 Life Forum Resident

I love this album and I still haven't burnt out on it yet. :wiggle:

mmars982, Big Pasi, theMess and 3 others like this.
  12. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm with you on this. It's half a quite good album and half a sort of "meh" one. Not up there with MAF or "Chaos." Don't get me wrong, I like it, I'm just not dazzled by it like I am by a lot of Paul's work from the last 20 years.

13. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I spun the album two weeks ago. It still sounds fresh to me, all the songs are keepers. Esp I Can Bet, Looking at Her, Turned Out. There are songs such as Alligator and Queeny Eye that I didn't like much at first that I find really cool now.

Yep, still one of my favorite Macca-platters.

14. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Without a shadow of a doubt ...

15. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It's definitely a top album. Where it stands in the pantheon is still up for grabs for me. I need longer with a record. That said, I welcome another in short order :)

16. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Well, the world being full of fabulous music, I sort of feel I'm done with this album for now (in fact I haven't played it in some months)--not a knock on the merits of the album, of course, just an observation that the competition for my leisure time is intense. But I'll keep checking in here to see if this thread can (yet again) persuade me to give it a "new" listen.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I just wish I could decide whether the "newer" version of the Japanese "new" was worth ordering. I'm normally a pathological completist, but I didn't like the idea of Japanese subtitles on the video segments ... just seems like I'll buy that and then MPL will announce a "newest" version, coming this fall...

18. 5th-beatle

19. 5th-beatle

20. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

21. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Not enough Macca!

22. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Well, Chaos & Creation is my least favorite of the modern era yet I keep hearing others refer to it as his modern masterpiece. It has never struck me in that light but I respect a lot of people here and their opinions, so I keep listening and hoping that one day I'll hear it from their perspective.

I'm on board with New, though. I liked it from my first listen. The album has a little of everything - upbeat rockers, ballads, folk, etc. Parts of it sound very modern (Appreciate, Road) while other songs could have been recorded in the 1970s (I Can Bet, Looking At Her, Turned Out). To me the New album has much more variety than Chaos.

I can still put this album in and listen to it completely through twice or even three times, esp. in the car.

23. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

Thanks 5th-beatle.

First impression is that it's great. Really like the use of black and white. The video is very moving in places and seems to really suit and serve the song. And it's a lovely song, one of my favourites from the album.

theMess likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It's also interesting what Paul says in the Rolling Stone article that accompanies the video:

As for himself, the former Beatle disavows any interest in taking up acting. "No, I don't think it's my thing," he says. "I get self-conscious in front of a movie camera. Off-camera, I can impersonate, I can do this and that, and I'll think, 'I could be such a great actor.' Then they say 'Action!' and turn the camera on, and I go uh-uh-uh-uh-uh…I just don't think I'm a natural.
    "But you know what?" he adds with a laugh. "I've got enough to do."

But couldn't have Paul thought of that before he filmed "Give My Regards To Broad Street"? It would have saved us (and him) a lot of misery... ;) Arnie

25. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

A great video...at last! Personally I did not like the previous QUEENIE EYE and APPRECIATE...This is well-done and moving. Hope that Paul adds this song to the setlist immediately.

DmitriKaramazov, Bruce M. and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.