McCARTNEY " Ode to a Koala Bear " 1980 recording session info

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident Thread Starter

Buried into the Macca central files, this new info to me ( and to Luca Backseat too, not seen it on his great book, even there is not my name in the thanks section ...)

Enjoy : it's not a solo or with denny recording , but with 2 studio sessions guys

Producer: George Martin
    Engineer: Geoff Emerick

Musicians:
    Paul McCartney: Vocal, All instruments, Backing vocal
    Paul Robinson: Drums
    Chris Lawrence: Bass
    Eric Stewert: Backing vocal
    Linda McCartney: Backing vocal

`Ode to a Koala Bear` was recorded at the old Air Studio at Oxford Circus. Here's Paul Robinson, the drummer for the session. "That day was another regular session day. I think I was booked from 2pm - 5 or 6pm but as always with the possibility the session would go on a bit later, & as it was for Paul, you made yourself available of course. We put the track down with Paul playing piano, me on kit. We left the studio that evening at about 9pm (this was in December) so I think that meant 4pm New York time. It was the same day John was killed. So it may be a touch gruesome, but the Koala Bear track, (which Paul told me was about 1 of his kids toys, who were also there with Linda) was the last track Paul recorded while John was still alive. I know this is weird stuff, but I grew up loving the Beatles, & not only was it a great thrill for me to work with Paul, but such a shock to see him the following day in the same clothes he had been wearing the previous day talking to the press about Johns murder."

2. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident Thread Starter

The double bass musician is Chris Laurence, it's Eric Stewart

ps : don't know how to add pictures on this new version of the site, any help ? thanks

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for this new information. It is strange, because it has added a sadness to such a joyous song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.