McCartney, Wings & "WILD LIFE" POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Love the early solo McCartney. He was still in an over indulgence stage from fabdom and ready to breakout in a very creative stage super 1970's.

Paulwalrus, Wingsfan2012 and ccbarr like this.
  2. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't realize just how much I like Wild Life. The only track I didn't check was "Mumbo". A raw album for sure, but an overlooked one as well.

3. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I voted for "Mumbo". If the whole album was like that I would listen to it maybe twice.

4. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Awesome album cover but i DOnt know a song from this one IM a BACK TO THE EGG type guy

but i guess Im gonna need to break it out and listen, I was just gonna pick one of the hits but hmmm... dont see any

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If the whole album was like the song "Mumbo", it would have been called Mumbo Jumbo ... ;)

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Good point!:righton:

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It just got another one!

8. Arnold Grove

It's doing better than "I Am Your Singer" and is losing in on "Mumbo". Slow and steady wins the race...

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Another one I like! I must have awful taste when it comes to Fab Macca!

10. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Arnie, I have to admit, I did not vote for Bip Bop....

1) Love Is Strange (should have been the single-cancelled last minute)
    2) Wild Life
    3) Some People Never Know
    4) Dear Friend

I also have no problem with the "link" tracks either.....some are jarring but sometimes that is good when listening to an album!

11. Wingsfan2012

Interesting that "I Am Your Singer" is back of the pack............not a fave but not an awful song..............

12. Wingsfan2012

I think most here are hoping that the first two Wings albums are the next 2 in the Archive series. Interesting to hear outtakes from this period (or any period) if Macca elects to include them!

Say You Don't Mind and Henry's Blues and live versions from the first Wings tours that have never been released......... (from an old blog post)..Looks gorgeous!

[​IMG]

13. Wingsfan2012

One of those albums like Back To The Egg, Press To Play etc that were chastised upon release but IMHO have grown in my appreciation through the years!

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, I really like Back To the Egg also, and although I don't reach for Press To Play much, when I do play it I don't dislike it.

15. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Truthfully, I hardly ever listen to Wild Life.

Tomorrow, Some People Never Know and the title track are probably the best of the bunch.

I Am Your Singer and Mumbo are vomit inducing.

16. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

I voted for all, but the first two (though I do enjoy Mumbo).

Dear Friend, Tomorrow and Some People Never Know are surely among his best work, ever.

I Am Your Singer is a beautiful song...

As much as one can wish the Beatles hadn't broken up, to think we wouldn't have had, for example this album...

:drool:

:agree:

17. Unlike many of McCartney albums , it's one of the few that doesn't sound dated to me. I love Paul but sometimes it seems he pushed too hard to be relevant in the moment. Wildlife is a great personal album. One of his best , top theee for me. .

I know folks here love to joke about Bip Bop. But it's a great little record.

18. Arnold Grove

I won't lose sleep, but how do YOU sleep? ;)

19. Wingsfan2012

But Arnie, "Since your gone, your just Another Day"!

20. Arnold Grove

Lovely of course! One can only hope....

I also personally do NOT think that Paul will include any of the songs that were written by Denny Laine or Henry McCullough. I think the Deluxe editions will just stick to Paul-written stuff. So I doubt we'll see bonus tracks like Say You Don't Mind (live version) or I Would Only Smile or Henry's Blues.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  21. Arnold Grove

Gone? I've been here all day. Yes, I've been doing errands, in between the rain here in NYC today, but I seem to be still breathing.

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

There was no card advertising the next archive release in The Flowers In The Dirt Box? Just asking

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  23. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I didn't vote because I love every song on Wild Life.

When I was 15, I looked up Wild Life in that big catalog that they used to have at record stores every time I went to the Wherehouse to see if it had finally been released on CD. I had never heard it before, and I desperately wanted to own it. One day, a CD catalog number appeared, so I breathlessly went to the counter and special ordered it. Two weeks later, I was informed that, while a catalog number had been assigned, the released hadn't actually happened. I was heartbroken.

Fast forward to 1989. By this time I was 17. Although I had no money, I drove to Mad Platter Records in Riverside, CA, just to look around. What did I find in the used CD bins? The FAME CD of Wild Life! I proceeded to hide that CD where no one would find it and committed every moving violation in the books to rush home and beg my mom for $10, stressing to her that if I did not buy what was surely the only CD copy of Wild Life in the state of California, I would spontaneously die. She eventually caved in, and within an hour and a half, I was grooving to Wings at their finest.

To my surprise, what I heard was not the comically horrible album I was halfway expecting. It was a great, if somewhat oddly mixed, album full of memorable, unpretentious, toe-tapping songs that were quite a lot of fun. Why couldn't George relate to "Bip Bop," exactly? This was the man who wrote "I Dig Love," after all. "Bip Bop" was great! "Mumbo" rocked! I could have done without the mispronunciation of "animals" in "Wild Life," but everything else was spot on. It was down-home fun, like the Get Back rehearsals might have been if the mood wasn't so sour. And to top it all off, there were a couple of well-crafted, quite major songs to end the album. Something for everybody!

There is nothing else quite like Wild Life in Paul's catalogue, or indeed, in the extended Beatles' catalogue. Some people are relieved by that, I suppose. I, however, wish that there was another album or two that tapped into the same vibe.

And, yes, "Bip Bop" is one of my favorite songs by Paul, and, no, I'm not being "ironic."

24. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Forget it. I'm voting for "Bip Bop." While I do love every song on the album, "Bip Bop" is the one song I would select for an album called Pure McCartney if I could only choose one from Wild Life and such an album were...to...exist...

Wait a minute...

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Mazzy, you and I have been the two big fanboys of Wildlife here as long as I can remember, so we have pretty much mentioned everything about the album already, but...

I think we both agreed at one point that Wildlife is probably the solo album we would give to younger people not hip to Paul's music because it has that great indie vibe, sounds really natural and isn't overproduced.

This and Electric Arguments sound fresh . " C'mon People"or "Through Our Love", etc.,....not so much. :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.