McCartney's Ram outtakes appreciation/request thread...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tug_of_war, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos Thread Starter

I wasn't born yet but I'd ugly about them too. I'd want to marry Linda. :laugh:

FJFP likes this.
  2. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

LOL....yep...funny the young crushes of folks then.

Linda was very attractive with make up though make up began to not be popular in the early seventies despite the sexist rock press critics then and the angry Paul fans who wanted him to marry Jane. Gals in my middle school had those very late sixties Paul pics and white album Paul pics up in their lockers. My best school friend came in the day after they wed and greeted me with...he’s married, which was normal for a dude his age. Linda was a very cool earth mama. I was too young to understand what he meant by saying Linda was what he needed...a woman who would take care of him as a man, cook for him and have his kids and join him musically as he requested to encourage him. You cannot believe how ugly and sexist the rock press was about Linda as such is anti PC today. They gave yoko a pass out of respect for John but really ridiculed Linda. She was a very brave woman.

I read linda used to cry on Denny’s shoulder a lot in wings. I read and have heard the early recordings of the audience booing her when she sang I am your singer on very early wings tours. Macca sang it from then on. After she died, I realized how lucky I was to see her with him in concert. She’s the only Beatle wife I saw. The early seventies was just before women’s lib really hit. One reason macca got such flack in the seventies from the rock press and many Beatles fans was because of linda, taking his kids on his tours and not doing the rock jock macho style of music then, so there was sexism all around. I see on Macca’s YouTube comments where younger folks are shocked at the rigid sexism of that era and how he was downed for being a family man, the themes of his solo music, etc., even much ridiculed for his..pretty face...as it was a different era. The women then were blamed for breaking up the old boys club but in truth they just grew up.

There was then and now lots of dissing for macca being unmanly in his music themes, even high pitched voice and even appearance and he no longer had the protection of being a Beatle. John and George worsened this in their interviews then. Especially, male critics and fans really lit into him solo I noticed ..for not being a macho rock star they thought. This was the era in the very early seventies where the...phoney, ungenuine, fake macca meme began that renewed online as Pid Faul. John and George whining about macca driving them I the studio worsened this. Because he found klein about to steal their music catalogue, he sued all to breakup to prevent it and thus the hatred of him really heated up. The smartest thing he did career wise was when he saw he had lost his old boomer rock audience and critics, he turned to a new generation with his music and image, my younger boomer and the Gen x generation and became the huge success he did in the seventies but critics and boomers hated him even more for that...labeling him a phony sell out.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  3. tug_of_war

Not enought McCartney threads on the forum's first page! :D

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It’s better than people thought at the time, but nowhere as good as people seem to believe it is now.

5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

She was a ballsy woman. Took a lot of guts to get up on that stage with a guy that was part of the biggest rock group ever. I have to give her a ton of credit. She might not have been a singer but I cant imagine songs like SLS without her background vocals. They blend so well.

Hep Alien, theMess, coco77 and 4 others like this.
  6. tug_of_war

And those were the glory days of guitar heroes, Progressive Rock and the like, mind you!
    Linda was very ballsy!

theMess likes this.
  7. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I do agree she was ballsy, but just offering another opinion. She was ballsy in the fact that she got on stage with one of the most talented people in music history, and she herself had no talent at all. Sang flat and played (mimicked) the simplest keyboard notes. Although these keyboard notes ( and tambourine ) were important, she was not.

8. tug_of_war

She did play the simple keyboard parts and she was important to the point of being herself the element that made Wings sound distinct from solo MacCa as she's nowhere as prominent on his albums from 1980 onwards.

Add Linda and Denny Laine's harmonies to any pop/rock group and it becomes Wings.

9. joy stinson

As a middle school teen when he married, my friends and I were crushed and all hated linda and were cruel about her a long time, a thing I felt guilty about later as she was loyal to him, helped and encouraged him and was a cool earth Momma hippie type gal. Linda did the best she could and was braver than most would be and she did not have the cool cred or the loud barking back off my woman John type of protection Yoko did in those highly sexist times. She was the first woman who got on the cover of Rolling Stone mag with Paul in the seventies yet had her face completely turned around away from the camera and was buried up in his shoulder. I had to outgrow my teen immaturity to realize this and am so glad I saw her with Paul in concert three times, the only Beatle wife I ever saw.

JDeanB likes this.
  10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

[​IMG]

11. joy stinson

Yep, Lennon with his juvenile but always apropo witty and funny response picture. Of course, I have the album and the post card and I’m sure you do too. HDYS right after his imagine song, which the general press ridiculed him for...Nonetheless, a good Lennon album otherwise. He looked really good in that pic though and guys in my school wore those then stylish tennis shoes. The Beatles early seventies song WARSZ were infantile but most humorous to witness I might add..lol. That Lennon was overly paranoid about other Macca lyrics was also funny. I’m giving a like to my Lennonist friend for his wit and humor.

jesse likes this.
  12. joy stinson

Correct...much to the exasperation of other forum members, we must always add McCartney threads and comments.

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. joy stinson

It’s like all styles..they go in and out. McCartney has always elicited extreme responses about his solo music from the beginning. After Anthology, his stock as a beatle rose and old music critics retired and younger ones realized the extreme critic reviews of all his solo output reevaluated his solo and upgraded much of it. I think it was when ram was reissued on cd a little later that the younger hipster critics and pitchfork raved over ram as the unacknowledged pro indie music founder album. Subsequently, many younger folks and hipsters jumped on the ram train. When indie goes out of style eventually, ram’s stock will probably fall. Cynical as this sounds, it’s the way of things.

14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Ram is better than anything the Beatles ever did.

tug_of_war likes this.
  15. joy stinson

That is the consensus of most younger folks now. Though I was a beatles generation boomer fan, all but abbey road sounds dated to me now as was the then popular fads. Personally, though it’s an unpopular opportunity, I like much of Macca’s solo more than many Beatles albums....maybe from burnt out....don’t know. Sssh..don’t tell the SHF beatles fans. Ram is indeed in its flow and arrangements a folk pop masterpiece.

Kevin j and mando_dan like this.
  16. walrus

Oh, that gives me hope that generic indie will eventually fade from prominence.

17. walrus

You're not alone. I wouldn't say I would rate or rank them above Beatles LP's, but I play more solo Macca (and George...less John for some reason) than Beatles the last few years. I've dug into the Giles remixes a bit, but beyond that or the occasional mono vinyl spin, I haven't played much Beatles. I know every note of those records backwards, but there's such a massive catalog of Macca that I can always pull up some McCartney album I'm not super familiar with or haven't heard in years.

CAL3 likes this.
  18. joy stinson

Likewise, I play more solo Macca and secondarily George..hardly any John. Yes, Beatles did so many first, I should not rate a solo Beatle’s music above the Beatles, but for listening pleasure, I listen to solo mainly on YouTube because all of my records are so packed back. The Beatles favorite fan WARSZ have worn me out and the kook conspiracy nuts comments have worn me out on both Macca and Beatles youtube comments...paul dead, tavistock, aldorno, Billy shears, Billy Sheppard...all the nut garbage conspiracies online now promoted but kids usually, kids to me anyway, make the comments, unborn in those days. Yes, Macca has a huge catalogue and online I found many unknown to me demos, boots and still not through all available macca.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    CAL3 and walrus like this.
  19. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

In retrospect, Linda isn't as bad of a singer as she was portrayed to be in the Seventies.

jesse likes this.
  20. joy stinson

No she wasn’t...listen to hey diddle and her ram and WOA SSS and all of her Wings albums harmonies . That was extreme male rock critic and fan prejudice. The hey Jude tape of her bad singing was because , due to a foul up, she couldn’t hear the other folks singing.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. joy stinson

The cheap compact stereo sis then had that I used when I first heard the album is indeed pathetic compared to your suggested ram version. Of course too many seventies loud concerts probably damaged my hearing, but the subtle heard variations on your suggested version are something. Once I worked and stereo shops became common, I was finally able to upgrade to fairly decent separate components , though it got damaged in last move so hubby got me an inexpensive compact but it does play all record speeds, including 78s.

23. joy stinson

From what I’ve seen in my lifetime and from studying history...all things fade and later, sometimes much later, but later they return...

24. joy stinson

So true, early seventies was the big era of male guitar heroes, heavy rock still and prog rock...poseur rock jocks, plus preaching lyrics holdover from the late sixties. Lennon whined in the press about Macca Beatles granny music then and George also publicly insulted it and John and yoko called Macca humperdink. Linda went into the thick of it and Macca with his happy folksy music, zany hippie causeless lyrics, later glam rock look and lyrics and finally his rock show era look and songs songs. Rock critics indeed hated him, but his wings tour sellouts everywhere really astonished the regular press. Dude release Mary had a little lamb in the early seventies heavy rock era and mull in punk England era. He had guts but was truly despised then....and later for quite some time for his MTV duets and his children’s song hit we all stand together. I myself always had a soft spot for Macca’s gutsy unpopular with the critics and even his most of his fans songs because they all proved he truly followed his own muse. He didn’t chase the cool and I admired him for it and his street cred suffered because of it, that’s for sure.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    tug_of_war likes this.
  25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

In the same way 80's hair bands grown up on Led Zeppelin faded. Yet, Led Zeppelin IV hasn't been diminished one bit because of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.