McCartney's Ram outtakes appreciation/request thread...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tug_of_war, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

True..originals survive....

john lennonist and George Blair like this.
  2. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Is that a joke i teach teenagers . They talk about their favorite beatles albums often never about McCartney albums

3. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Let the reader decide if this is a good thing or not.

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos Thread Starter

Glad to know I'm not alone :pineapple:

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm in for Macca singing "I Lie Around".

Is there a Bootleg????

linklinc and tug_of_war like this.
  6. tug_of_war

Exactly.

I think "London Town" is the greatest example of that. While the music press was praising the so-called "punk revolution", Paul took his band aboard a yatch and recorded his corniest, softest pop album to date!

Imo, "London Town" is a middle finger to the music press.

peerke, Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  7. jesse

jesse Forum Resident

And he was scared ****less by that pig.....

coco77 and tug_of_war like this.
  8. tug_of_war

Exactly my intention. I was going to say that Wings wasn't too, how can I say it?... "special"?

I mean, it was just a pop group, it wasn't unique or revolutionary like the Beatles. And what made their sound differ from the other pop bands of the day was Linda and Denny's harmonies.

But I didn't want to say that...

9. tug_of_war

Unfortunately it was never bootleged neither officially released.

linklinc and Bingo Bongo like this.
  10. frumpledobre

frumpledobre Forum Resident

The outtakes from Ram could've been a whole other album. And all of them were brought up to a finished state eventually, besides Rode All Night. Call it 'Ewe' and pretend it's by Wings. Chronologically there's:

Get on the Right Thing
    I Lie Around (overdubbed '72)
    When the Wind is Blowing
    Rode All Night
    A Love for You (overdubbed '79/'80, '81, '86 & '03)
    Hey Diddle (overdubbed '74 & '79/'80)
    Sunshine Sometime (overdubbed '78 - or was it? bass and vocals on Rupert still sound Ram era to me, and Denny's not singing)
    Little Woman Love (overdubbed late '71)
    Little Lamb Dragonfly (overdubbed '72)
    Big Barn Bed (alledgedly full song following the end of Ram On)
    Great Cock and Seagull Race (overdubbed late '71 & '72)
    Now Hear This Song of Mine (3 versions)
    Dear Friend (? still not sure what to make of this, I know what the Wild Life book says, but the bass-less rough mix suggests that Seiwell's recollection of the basic track just being him and Paul at Sound Recorders is correct)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  11. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

I am equally confused as to why Jethro Tull is considered a first-rank band by many...

12. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

Not sure if you all saw this, but somebody asked him about plans for Ram’s 50th on the Reddit AMA chat (and he gave a very Paul answer.)

“Hey Paul! Loved the new album! I feel like I say that with every new album, but this one in particular really feels like something special. I have a two-part question.

1. RAM was met with lukewarm to negative reviews upon its release but has since gone on to be considered possibly your best solo album by many critics. How have you personally viewed RAM since its initial release?
    2. Also do you have any plans for RAM’s 50th anniversary coming up this May? I know the Macca fanbase is always happy with more RAM related releases.
    Thank you so much for doing this Paul! Hope you have a wonderful Christmastime! Stay healthy

Well, when RAM first came out I was proud of it. But yeah, the reviews weren’t great. So I didn’t bother with it for a few years, until my nephew Jay told me it was his favourite album. Since then I’ve heard that from quite a few people so it’s back in favour! And the only plans I have for May next year are to dance around the May pole.”

Hep Alien and tug_of_war like this.
  13. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

The only album credited to Paul & Linda McCartney deserves a 50th!
    I'd be happy with an official release of the superior hybrid mix ...

14. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

I always wondered about that photo. Did John have one of his servants bring the pig to Tittenhurst Mansion or did he just find it wandering around his palatial estate?

coco77 likes this.
  15. Autotune Sucks

George had one left over from the White Album days and let John borrow it...

16. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

He arranged to have a local farmer deliver it to the mansion. There’s an account of the “photoshoot” in May Pang’s book, it’s pretty funny. John was indeed scared of the pig!

17. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Jethro tull released better albums from 1970 to 1974 then mccartney .
    The mccartney worship i gave up on after 5 or so years

john lennonist likes this.
  18. Autotune Sucks

McCartney is a legend and widely considered one of the greatest pop/rock songwriters in history. Ian Anderson played the flute pretty well...I suppose.

tug_of_war likes this.
  19. tug_of_war

I haven't seen this. Thank you. :love:

coco77 likes this.
  20. tug_of_war

I wrote the very first line on the OP for you.
    If the McCartney "worship" annoys you, this thread is not for you, you don't even need to be here.

You can start your own Tull thread to "worship" them there.

linklinc and Autotune Sucks like this.
  21. joy stinson

Nope..not a joke..just the opinion of a boomer and an old Beatles and solo Beatle fan. Historically, of course, the Beatles made a much bigger cultural impact no doubt and survived till present partly because of their status and achievements and partly because of the excellent marketing of their music throughout the years, red and blue albums, Anthology and Beatles 1 as well as their reissued CDs and boxsets to younger generations and are still liked, sell and admired for their various achievements, but as in their day from the beginning to present, the solo Beatles are and were always an acquired taste of a subset of folks. Amazingly, abbey road has continued to stay in the charts and sell for decades. Teens now are doing well to even know of or have a favorite Beatles album. However, I read much dissing of the Beatles on YouTube comments and on Reddit where more younger folks comment. When the last Beatle dies, there may be a spike in their solo works and I’ve read online and notice where many younger folks don’t delineate between Beatles and solo Beatles music like boomers and Gen xers do. These are all my perceptions and opinions only but are based on social media comments. Without the Beatles likewise there’d be no solo Beatles but it could well be argued but also no jethro Tull and such subsequent later groups. Nevertheless, IMO aqualung is the best Tull album and a great album...howbeit in a different style obviously from any solo Macca or any other solo Beatles album.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  22. joy stinson

Better albums is always subjective and a matter of style is preference appreciation...I liked Tull in the seventies, had the albums and saw Tull in concert then then but regard the Tull albums as more dated and genre restricted than the McCartney albums of that era.I never worshiped anyone and enjoyed them both, but gave up on Tull as one album resembled in style the others but McCartney albums and genres of that era were far more varied, and this is all a matter of tastes I might add.

a customer likes this.
  23. joy stinson

No doubt..LT was prog rock light and pop rock and folk pop as a whole with always the touch of Macca zaniness, morse goose and famous groupies...an album I belatedly appreciated and unlike any in his solo cannon. The style was woefully unpopular by its release...I really hope the album gets the deluxe box set it deserves, it and my favorite Macca album, egg. I notice that both LT and egg are cult favorites though usually fans don’t like both albums though I’m an exception who does.

tug_of_war likes this.
  24. joy stinson

Beatles solo not even close to great is all a matter of opinion..even everything being great by the Beatles is all a matter of opinion....though group efforts all had the Beatles magic pixie dust on them. I say this as both a Beatle and a solo Beatle fan.

25. joy stinson

I always liked ram as I did most of his other albums....

tug_of_war and a customer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.