McCartney's Ram outtakes appreciation/request thread...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tug_of_war, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I meant this reply to joy stinson
    I meant to say that is a very thoughtful statement. I appreciate it. I think I clicked the wrong button.. I'm listening to stan Ridgeway
    Dylan cover as I walked out one morning.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos Thread Starter

Just what I wanted!

It shows that do you do understand that liking an artist/band doesn't necessarily mean you are worshipping him/her/it.

As you can tell on this thread so far.

a customer likes this.
  3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The original mix of Ram is pretty good but I would be up for a new surround mix. The production would lend itself well to an immersive surround experience.

As for outtakes, Paul recorded the Ram tracks plus several others as a three-piece in Oct 1970. Those bare mixes/live performances would be interesting to hear before all the overdubs took place. The material that has been booted such as instrumental versions of certain songs have been enjoyable and let’s have some more! :)

Hep Alien, Rocco and tug_of_war like this.
  4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

If you look in the background it appears he's on a farm.

Maybe in Toronto (or where ever it was) when John and Yoko visited Kyoko before she was kidnapped by her father.

tug_of_war likes this.
  5. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

As a Gen-X Beatles fan, you speak truth. The first Beatles albums I remember (my family) owning were the RnR and Love Songs compilations. 1976 when McCartney had the biggest single of the year ‘Silly Love Songs’ and ‘Got to Get You Into My Life’ was a top ten hit. I didn’t delineate between solo McCartney and Beatles until the 80’s. I never carried that inherit bias against solo Beatles songs. I think it’s impossible for some boomers to listen with fresh ears. The amount of information available from when I started deep diving into The Beatles in the 80’s until now has grown exponentially. I think the internet and availability of information has helped McCartney’s legacy more than anything else. As late as 1988 when the Imagine documentary came out, Lennon was still viewed as some sort of Saint/Martyr. It was an impossible legacy, and of course untrue. I think it is difficult for succeeding generations to understand the McCartney hatred/Lennon worship.

tug_of_war likes this.
  6. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Your post was spot on. I’ve read many YouTube and a few Reddit posts and I can tell that the younger commenters don’t get and don’t like the old schtick of McCartney hatred/Lennon worship that the rock critics, boomers then John fan Beatles biographers set in motion several decades. Because all of my records are so packed back, I listen to music on YouTube and see multiple comments from I can tell younger commenters and younger McCartney fans astounded at how good his solo is and referencing with disgust the old McCartney hatred/Lennon worshipping boomer tropes. All the younger ram fans are especially furious than the old boomer rock critics, talking to you Jon landau of RS mag, downed ram so harshly. Of course, I see a few Lennon worshipper comments on Macca solo YouTubes vainly trying to diss Macca and call up his various personal and musical sins and there’s unfortunately a bunch of conspiracies nuts trolling Macca over PID who comment on all his YouTubes. I notice it’s usually the same PID folks, mostly males, on every YouTube.

Folks can easily hear all of those old records online and make up their own minds about the music now and they do. Regardless of younger critics upgrading much of his solo music when they re-evaluated it several years ago,...indeed it is the internet that has spread his music and caused his stock to rise. He’s also viewed as the Beatle most concerned with motivating the others to produce those last few albums rather than the old..hackneyed boomer stereotype of the evil slave driver and the others seem to now be viewed as distracted on their pet projects, even slackers.

The internet with McCartney solo music has been both his greatest boon but also his greatest curse with the Paul conspiracy theories online dogging him. Also, younger fans saw Anthology which renewed Beatle interest and they realized McCartney was a very important Beatle. Macca’s boomer haters lost the narrative control with the internet and the importance of rock critics diminished by the eighties. Folks may read books but they are far more inclined now to get their info online. I have several biographies written after John died with the old boomer narrative, John WUZ the Beatles, Paul was an inferior hack...and subsequent books recycled that meme.

Boomers and even some Gen xers , like the guy I was responding to just don’t get that though younger folks may like the Beatles, they don’t see them as the be all and end all or necessarily see solo Beatles as inferior to the Beatles just because they are solo like was drummed into my boomer generation. Younger folks seem to be more flexible and see solo Beatles as a continuation of the Beatles or separately from the Beatles and many say, even on this forum and other places online that they like solo Beatles or a solo Beatle better than the Beatles. As you say you folks have fresh ears. I as a boomer am glad I remember the Beatles and the solo Beatles as they made their albums and I’ve lived through this in real time. I’ve read that statistically there are far more Gen xers and younger than boomers now. When I find them doing it, I do laugh though at the boomer rants against McCartney online because that ship sailed long ago when folks got internet access.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agree 100% re Tull (and Zep and Van Morrison and Fleetwood Mac and Floyd, etc., etc.) releasing better albums that Macca during this period.

:agree:

8. joy stinson

A very strong case could be made that many other artists released stronger albums than ALL of the solo Beatles albums combined during this period, not just Macca. Many critics and folks said this at the time. This was indeed a very great and fertile though fractured music period that gave us the best works of many great artists. Also, it was throughout this period that many fans and critics began to give up on all of the solo Beatles, not just the usual red head step child Beatle of the period, Macca ...but all of them ...I well remember in the rock press and from boomer and Gen xer fans around me. I’m glad I was open minded enough enjoy all of these folks but also glad that I continued to follow all the solo Beatles, John, George and ringo hit big in the very early seventies but all struggled throughout the seventies decade but Macca’s star rose with a new generation of younger fans.

Macca was the favorite early to mid seventies critics and boomers whipping boy, but, alas his early seventies and even his mid seventies have now been hailed and are now beloved by much younger fans. All of these trends eventually come back into style given long enough. I never thought I’d live long enough to see ram do a 180 degree turn around or yoko’s career rise. Hubby and I have a very large record collection of all the great artists throughout this time, not just the solo Beatles but including them as well.

I was very lucky to see many of these in concert in their hay day who put on a great show and did excellent albums throughout this era..not just better albums than the usually then dogged and downed Macca, but per general perceptions then, better albums than all the other solo Beatles.

You’re my buddy, John Lennonist, but no need for the smiley face because all of the solo Beatles were then struggling though a few were critical darlings but not necessarily still fan darlings and I well remember and in some cases all were floundering then. By that time they had great competition and no longer had the protection of being in the premier group, the Beatles. However, I as a solo Beatle fan rooted for all of them and am so glad though three retired that they eventually returned. I wouldn’t take anything for the very different solo careers of all the Beatles.

I greatly enjoy your posts, witty and cynical and cool tastes though sometimes too restricted and blinded to favoritism, and all of the posts others bring to the forum. However, you knew I’d be the one with my old long boomer solo Beatles memories who would not let this broad slagging pass. By the time I went to college in 75, I was considered a weirdo for continuing to like any of the solo Beatles. Nevertheless, all of the artists you cited had an incredible run in the early to mid seventies Macca AND other solo Beatles era. All is a matter of taste, but I’d be remiss not to add Elton.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Rocco and tug_of_war like this.
  9. joy stinson

Thank you. I really enjoy the forum and what everyone brings to it. Though I don’t always agree with everyone, variety is the spice of life. I enjoy your posts as well though don’t necessarily always agree with them. I’ve learned a lot and been reminded of lots of great music and the extraordinary late sixties and later concerts I was lucky enough to see and albums I bought...via this forum.

a customer likes this.
  10. joy stinson

I try not to dump on any artist because of their overly rabid fans who may draw in and down other artists in an attempt to elevate their fav artist. Also, my understanding is SHF does not allow trolling of an artist or other commenters to avoid bickering which is against SHF rules. Nevertheless, upon occasion, I see other commenters doing this and I have sadly noticed Macca is particularly a target of some of this, as he has been since first going solo.

Rocco and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The idea is putting someone in their place who has no business being in this thread to begin with. If everyone took it upon themselves to rip to pieces artists and their works in threads celebrating them just because these members dislike those works, this forum would be a sad rotten place.

That type of member is the first one who'd get riled up at the idea of anyone putting down what they like but have no issues doing it when it comes to other people's tastes... in threads dedicated to an artist they dislike, no less. I have respect for everyone until they do something blatantly disrespectful, as if that person holds the Truth with a capital T when it comes to music.

Lastly, the idea that any Tull song is recognized and appreciated among the masses far more than Band On The Run, My Love, Maybe I'm Amazed, and a dozen other solo McCartney songs is laughable at best. :laugh:

joy stinson, tug_of_war and Rocco like this.
  12. a customer

I should just give up but since you replied
    I will respond. Are you saying McCartney albums from 1970 to to 1974 are better than jethro tull albums from the same time frame?

13. a customer

Wow . Aqualung was kinda of popular. Did it not make the top 40 so no one ever heard of it.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Back then. Not now. Would you please give up and spend some time in a Tull thread. Honestly, your threadcrapping ways are just unbelievably beyond disrespectful, now.

We get it. You love Tull. This thread is about PAUL MCCARTNEY! Is that idea so beyond your ability to grasp?

joy stinson and tug_of_war like this.
  15. a customer

16. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Also, Macca’s endless touring has exposed him to all age groups and would be surprised if he didn’t pick up fans in each demographic.

tug_of_war and Strat-Mangler like this.
  17. Most of the music public liked it fine. The album’s reputation has grown with time. I bought it in 1971 and love it. Still do. It’s a well crafted album full,of melodically innovative and creative music some songs are better than others. It doesn’t appeal to you and that’s fine. Critically, the worst hit it got was from Rolling Stone. They were also critical of Abbey Road as I recall. Most of the reviews were mixed st the time as I recall.

joy stinson and tug_of_war like this.
  18. Just ignore the thread.

19. a customer

Yes i will now worship McCartney no matter what comparisons i made earlier. Ram is way greater than the aqualung. In 1971 with those outakes

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. a customer

I should have i apologize

21. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Who and what is a Tull? Oh is he that old guy that sang with Kanye a few years ago? Since ages are so important late 40’s here. Seriously I am a big music fan and I cannot think of one Tull song. But it’s cool u like him.

22. a customer

The only point i was trying to make was Ram is a half decent album . I was there because i am old. I bought all those early beatles solo albums because i loved the beatles . My point is to the solo albums are not even close. .

Once again i apologize

23. joy stinson

I’ll just say as I did earlier..that the notion of what is...better is all personal opinion. I’m glad I personally never got tripped up in the idea as I enjoyed all kinds of different albums from all different kinds of artists. Thus, I had the pleasure of enjoying great albums from such artists as Tull and from many others and from McCartney in the same time period. My only regret is not having more money as a teenager to be able to buy even more of these albums or the ability to see even more of those concerts by artists of those and later times.

I never saw any benefit from pitting in one artist against another though I may personally prefer one artist over another. Music critics have reassessed early McCartney from this era and found his first album to be a lo fi first which neil young later said influenced his solo career direction and style and Macca’s next solo album is now recognized as a proto indie album breakthrough album. His early and later to mid seventies wings all built his solo career out of the ashes as critics then heavily scathed his now credited early music to the heights of success by his wings world tour. These are different accomplishments from the group you cited.

24. joy stinson

Apology accepted. I’m around your age but don’t agree with your views because all the solo Beatles music evolved and they all began from in their solo careers. IMO McCartney’s solo music evolved, adapted and changed the most...as I’ve followed them all and didn’t just stop with their early solo albums. Had I done so, I’d be more inclined to agree with you. I understand your viewpoint as I too am a boomer. Take care.

a customer likes this.
  25. a customer

i am just saying pretending those early McCartney albums are great because he was a Beatle i dont understand. Sticky fingers aqualung whos next etc. To think Ram is a great album is mystifying to me.

I purchased everyone

I apologize again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.