McCartney's Ram outtakes appreciation/request thread...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tug_of_war, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Well it's all a bit mysterious actually. One or two strange things have cropped up which we don't have answer to yet...a Japanese version that's unknown, an original mix that may or may not have been published...it's in the Another Day thread...:)

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. 905

905 Senior Member

That's nice to read that RAM is Denny's favorite album from his career.

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Hep Alien and tug_of_war like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There's always a chance.

5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos Thread Starter

What’s That You’re Doing? (No.3/Vol.9) :

It says:
    "Deemed as “quintessentially McCartney" be sure to ‘Smile Away’ and keep an eye out for more “RAM-iversary” celebrations in May."

Given that the Re-AM-imagined album by Denny Seiwell was already announced, WE CAN DREAM!!!! :love:

Hep Alien, 905 and crossroads69 like this.
  6. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

And from his Ipod....it was very interesting.

905 and tug_of_war like this.
  7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I’ve seen those videos of Denny playing along with his iPod. He is my favorite post Beatles drummer to have worked with Paul. It’s s a shame that he jumped off the Wings boat just when things were about to get big for the band....

Hep Alien, Lewisboogie, 905 and 2 others like this.
  8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

With Ram back in the news, I took out the 2012 box set after a long time and reconnected with Thrillington. I hadn’t really played much of it since 2012-13 and so it’s been interesting hearing those instrumental versions again.

I think Paul believed he had something special with Ram and it shows in his post release plans. He had a TV special planned with them playing Ram tracks and then the whole Thrillington project. Looking back, it seems very odd idea to follow up an album with an instrumental version but that’s what he wanted.

Unfortunately, those negative reviews and the possibly lower than expected sales performance deflated all these plans and he decided to run far away from Ram for many years. I am glad that with the 2012 reissue, he finally got all the positive critical revaluation that the album always deserved.

9. tug_of_war

I always thought that those July 1971 dates were strange. Why would Paul want some rough mixes once the sessions were over and the album was already in the charts? He was already working on Wings Wild Life at that point and none of those songs were used.

It just occurred to me that these Dixon Van Winkle mixes can actually be rough mixes made towards the end of February 1971, just before the sessions moved to Sound Recorders with Eirik "The Norwegian" in L.A.

I assume that later on, when the album was finished and released, Paul must have compiled the rough mixes for the remaining songs in two reels: one on July 8th 1971, and the other on July 13th for, say, "archival reasons" and then in 2012 archivists thought those were the dates of the mixing sessions.

It makes much more sense to me.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. tug_of_war

By the way, Paul's official Instagram is requesting our questions/remarks about Ram.
    Check out the "stories"
    I just took the opportunity...again.

coco77 and crossroads69 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.