McCartney's set list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by maccafan, May 22, 2022.

1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member Thread Starter

Someone said start a thread dedicated to this so let's talk about McCartney's setlist, I'll let these guys start it off...

Cledwyn likes this.
  2. maccafan

3. maccafan

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Three crybabies far as I’m concerned and I won’t even bother getting into it. You want to be a part of their holier than thou disapproving team…your choice.

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It can't be easy coming up with a set list from almost 60 years of material. He also has to find a balance between Beatles, Wings, and solo material, AND something that pleases the fans coming to the concerts.

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

One day in time, Paul will be gone; here no more…and these guys will still be whining that he didn’t play the songs they wanted to hear.

7. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I think Paul’s earned the right to play whatever songs he feels like. I’ve seen the setlists from his last few tours. It isn’t like they’re devoid of crowd pleasers. There’s always something for everyone. Personally, I would love to see Paul take a deep dive into his catalog and do a handful of obscurities.But that’s not his performance model. I seriously doubt he’s going to change this late in the game.

8. maccafan

Yeah I choose to be one of those who appreciate the man for more than just the Beatles, since he did so much more. You want to be a part of those who don't ...your choice!
    You can call it whining if you want, but I think they just wanted to hear the man perform more of his fantastic music. Will never understand why some have such a problem with such a simple and to me flattering desire?!
    To me that's the sad part, all these years he's had the chance to perform so much fantastic music, and didn't. IMHO what an opportunity missed!

GLUDFSSR and Cledwyn like this.
  9. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Although what is a deep dive for someone with a career as rich as his? Letting Go was a single but I bet most people at the concert I attended didn’t know it. Most of the Beatles songs he did were album tracks, rather than hits.

10. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

It's 2022. Paul's been touring as an oldies act since... 1989. The set lists have ALWAYS been like this. He's not gonna change now that he's 80 and his voice is shot.

That's it. Celebrate the man, he's not gonna be around forever.

11. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Paul is almost 80 years old. He’s playing something like 3 hours. I can’t imagine that’s easy for any performer let alone someone who’s a bit older. I hope when I’m 80 that I don’t drool excessively or s**t the bed.

12. maccafan

Very good point, so as I've always said, if he could perform those songs he could have changed it up and performed others.
    Especially with his WINGS/SOLO material there was just a vast amount of songs he could have performed, he didn't have to repeat himself at all!
    Totally understand what you're saying, but see the thing for me is I've been saying this for DECADES! This is nothing I just started talking about, I've been asking for a setlist change since the 90s!

Cledwyn likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

“The man” is 80 years old and gave us more in a lifetime than other artists have in twice that amount of time. Be glad that he’s here doing what he does and allow him the respect to do the songs he wants…all of which are part of the superb soundtrack of our lives any way you choose to look at it. If his shows are that much of a letdown to those who have nothing better to do than post their all important videos on what Paul should be performing, stay home and listen to the records.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

…and what makes what *youve* been asking for for decades so definitive…???

Gary_Stewart likes this.
  15. maccafan

You hit the nail on the head, after seeing his predictable show three times in a row, that's exactly what I do!
    But that doesn't stop me from loving his music and wanting to hear more of it performed live!
    Just the fact that I love his music!

16. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

Hey, i think you're cool. But let's say that you're choosing to be disappointed.

Whoroger89, JosepZ and DK Pete like this.
  17. maccafan

The sad part is McCartney's predictable setlist gives me no other choice!

18. maccafan

Guy's this isn't about me!
    I started this thread for people to talk about McCartney's setlist no matter if you agree with it or not just share and elaborate on how you see it.
    We already know there are differing points of view so let's just share them.
    On another thread they didn't want to, so on this one, we can talk about it as much as we want!

Cledwyn likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

First of all it -imo-strange to call Paul’s extremely successful, popular and critically acclaimed concerts a “missed oportunity. It most certanely ain t nothing of the sort.

Secondly Paul has changed and played more songs in his concerts than the OP wants to acknowledge

Last thing. Paul has many times explained why he plays the songs he does. Mainly because he knows these are the songs the majority expects to hear. He just is that kind of performer. One might him to play more deep cuts but that s not what he does. Any admirer or scholar of McCartneys music should really know and accept that fact at this stage.
    It was 50 years ago I first witnessed Paul live. Not in my wildest dreams would I then imagined Paul still being on stage 50 years on. In my opinion a remarkable achievement worthy of respect .
    It s good though to have a separate thread for this topic.

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It sounds to me like it’s all about your opinion since all three videos are focusing on what Paul “should” do.

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There is always a choice.
    Even though I thought Paul should play other songs live it would not be an issue for me. That’s because I choose to focus on positive things and save concerns to truly important matters not artists set-lists.

22. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

My only real disappointment is that he didn't offer up anything special for his latest tour.

In the past, for every new tour, he used to replace all the songs from his last previous album with songs from the newest album.

And every new tour, he'd also work in a couple fresh "old" songs, that have never been played before. Or a song that hasn't been played since the 60's or 70's.

This new tour breaks that long tradition.

There's only one song from III. (And he's not even playing it every show!) Beyond that one song from III, there's not a single fresh nugget.

In my opinion, he should replace Egypt Station songs with more III songs.

And take out two or three of the "inessential" repeats from the last couple tours (I'm looking directly at you, "In Spite Of All The Danger"!) and replace them with something he's never performed before. That would make the show better.

All the casual first-timers, would still get their Let It Be, Live And Let Die, Hey Jude moments...

... and people like myself who see every tour get something new. I don't think that's unreasonable, but whatever. Ain't happening.

23. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Let's be honest. His solo music just isn't good enough to warrant a change in his setlist. McCartney fanatics are blind to this fact, and thankfully even McCartney himself probably recognizes this. At most, he compromises and gives the audience mostly what they want and then plays a few tunes of his less known material for himself and the fanatics. I'm grateful that I got to see him live at least once in my lifetime-- and just as grateful that he exceeded my expectations, and didn't do something stupid like play mostly solo career material like some on here want him to.

24. maccafan

It's totally worthy of respect, and yes McCartney has to a degree changed a few songs over the years, but that's not the issue! It's never ever BEEN ENOUGH and it seems some miss that point!
    Now again I understand he's more limited with the Beatles material, but with the Wings/solo material, there was and is absolutely no reason to repeat...
    LET ME ROLL IT
    BAND ON THE RUN
    LISTEN TO WHAT THE MAN SAID
    MAYBE I'M AMAZED
    JUNIOR'S FARM
    HI HI HI
    LIVE AND LET DIE
    LETTING GO
    LET EM IN
    Now I absolutely love every one of those songs, but they've all been performed multiple times on multiple tours! The man has just this many more and just as good songs he could change and perform, why continue to repeat these over and over?? There's no question he could change because he still has #1 hits he's never performed, so absolutely nothing would be lost!

Cledwyn likes this.
  25. maccafan

No so-called McCartney fanatics aren't blind to that belief, we just don't belive that ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!
    McCartney has songs in his solo catalog that blow away FUH YOU, QUEENIE EYE, OUT, etc. So they could easily be included in his setlist.