McIntosh....in a jeep?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tom1040, Jan 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victrollin'

Victrollin' Forum Resident

Looks cool! Fingers-crossed they produce a 6-volt version...

[​IMG]

classicrocker likes this.
  2. fish

fish Senior Member

950-Watt, 17-channel amplifier.
    19 speakers in 12 locations to accurately reproduce sound with pinpoint precision. 10" subs.

Yeah, Im sure it Sucks. :rolleyes:

classicrocker and Tim 2 like this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

WOW, thats incredible. I'm a long time Jeep Grand Cherokee owner, this makes them even better, if thats possible.

4. fish

fish Senior Member

I mean who doesn't want a Wrangler with a 470hp/470 6.4l V8 HEMI that does 0-60 in 4.5 and the 1/4 in 13 flat! The 950watt McIntosh is Must Have!
    2021 Jeep® Wrangler Rubicon 392 - V8 HEMI Engine SUV

5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I have none of those noises in my Grand Cherokee. And the stock stereo with built-in hard drive is great.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not really a fan of the Rubbercon but I love my G.C. With a few mods 425hp. Good enough for a grocery getter, winter and summer, lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fish, classicrocker and Dennis0675 like this.
  7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I dare say none of these components have come through Binghamton NY.

Tim 2 likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Jeep's trying to be Range Rover.

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Hope not.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

Seems appropriate. FCA products are most reliable when they're not moving.

PopularChuck likes this.
  11. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

If I money to throw around and a couple of more garage spaces to store it in where i could leave it with the top and doors off for summer cruising on nice days sign me up! But for an every day commuter driving an hour to work each way on the Highway I would say no thanks.

We just bought my wife a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara model with a 6 speed manual and a V6 and while it is fun to drive it is so noisy in the cabin on the Mass Pike you can't even hear the stereo at reasonable volume. But then again it was her dream car and she knew this going in and can live with it.

For a factory install I love my Harmon Kardon 19 speaker 825 watt system in my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude so I am sure the McIntosh will sound pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It looks very cool, I’d certainly love to have it but…..it’s a car. I like a nice upgraded system in my vehicle but there is only so far you can take it before you come to the reality that road noise is going to prevent realizing the benefit of of that investment. A $3,000 option, no problem. Put a $10,000 option in there and I’m out. I’d much rather spend that money on my home system where I can hear it without drowning out motor noise and highway speeds.

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Gotta admit, it's a pretty sweet looking unit.

14. classicrocker

Exactly right jb, I can't speak for this McIntosh system but I have little doubt they worked with FCA before there was even any sheet metal to design the system around the vehicle cabin.

These high end systems are not just a bunch of random parts slapped together and stuffed into the vehicle with a high option price.

In the case of the audio company I work for we get involved with the automobile companies years before a car is on the market and even before there is any actual sheet metal to design the system to fit the cabin form factor and acoustics. This is why you the consumer can't usually purchase the components after market as they are custom designed and EQ'd for each automobile model.

15. classicrocker

I agree road noise is a factor but it really depends on the vehicle and the tires you run so based on experience I have to respectfully disagree a premium sound system is not worth the money.

The more expensive models can indeed have reasonably quiet cabins where you can enjoy a high end system. I have written this before but my Grand Cherokee has a very quiet cabin.

It also has special laminated acoustic glass to reduce outside noise and Active Noise Canceling which also reduces cabin noise. I do not have to play my Harmon Kardon system very loud to appreciate how good it sounds.

Will it sound as good as a well designed home system in a quiet listening room? Of course not but road noise in my Jeep GC does not prevent me from appreciating the money I paid with the system upgrade.

I am running Pirelli's rubber right now that came on the Jeep and while not bad for road noise I plan on upgrading to Michelin's in the fall as they are very quiet tires and should make things even quieter in the cabin. I have had many brands of tires on my 5 Jeeps since I bought my first one back in 1993 and Michelin's are the lowest road noise tires I ever experienced.

Now my wife's Jeep Wrangler is another story. I would not waste money on a premium system for that vehicle due to how noisy it is on the Highway. So again it depends on the vehicle and YMMV.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The sound of the motor is kind of a thing with hemi products. If I’m spending 80-100k on GC it better be a thirsty V8 with a fairly aggressive growl to it.

17. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I'd wager fewer than 0.001 percent of all Jeeps see anything more arduous than speed bumps and pot holes.

18. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

There was a time when McIntosh made truly high-end car audio amps and head units. Been a long time now, but the amps still command top dollar when they come up for sale.

19. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I can’t get behind the new WL body style. I’ll stick with my WK2 and it’s stock stereo system.

20. classicrocker

Sure but FCA is not targeting people who want to hear the rumble of a Hemi with the new Grand Wagoneer. It is a luxury SUV and in this case the Hemi is for power not sound effects.

I am happy with my V6 as it has enough pep for me and I want to hear my music. At this stage of my life this is more important to me than a noisy Hemi and lousy gas mileage but I do understand the appeal. Like I said if I had the coin, and garage space, sign me up for the new 392 Hemi Jeep Rubicon but not for my main vehicle. YMMV.

If you want to hear your Hemi rumble in a Jeep SUV you can buy a 707 hp Grand Cherokee Track Hawk for $88k or SRT for $70k.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Harris11235 likes this.
  21. classicrocker

Yeah I am not a fan as it it too squared off for me. Maybe it will grow on me with time but I am happy with my 2019 GC.

I only have 20K miles on it so by the time I am ready for a new Jeep I hope there will be a new model and body style available.

Harris11235 likes this.
  22. classicrocker

You mean like this vintage 1987 Grand Wagoneer beauty? Love that color.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1987/jeep/grand_wagoneer/101550168

Apparently they are quite trendy with the Hollywood set these days which had driven up the prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.