McIntosh interconnects Q for Steve

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Steve, when you used to listen to your McIntosh MC240 for pleasure, what type of interconnects did you use? Just curious.

I have a MX110 and a MC240 and I'm playing around with a few wires, trying to avoid spending $400.00 on interconnects that I *think* may be good.

And if anyone else has a MC240 or MX110 / MC240 combo, please speak up!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The cheapest of the cheap seem to work the best. I ain't kidding here. Radio Shack or step up to Monster Cable interconnects.

Remember, these components were voiced with thin little wire. I think they sound the best that way. Anything else is overkill!

Spend the money you save on good tubes!

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Interconnects, I use those cheaper plastic RCA solder plugs using Cat5 or solid strand copper.

I'm glad Steve feels this way because I've had the best luck using RatShack stuff. It's cheap, very accessable, and rarely has dissapointed. Gold or those cheapo plastic things, all just fine. I don't feel like the Black Sheep audiophile anymore :)

4. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Does this rule apply to speaker cables as well?

Currently, my McIntosh MC-30s are attached to my Magnepan 1.6QRs with home-made copper cables. I'm considering upgraging my speaker wire (maybe with BetterCables) and would appreciate some insight.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The danger in upgrading wire with old gear, is that the modern stuff might, just might, bring out some stuff you don't want to hear in the sonic signature of the old pieces. Things such as grain, tizz, distortion, etc. These things are much more audible now than they were in the old days, especially with Maggies.

So...Procede with caution, and try a few things, but I would stick with the "midrangy" old-fashioned cheap stuff!

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.