McIntosh LB200 Light Box: I’m seriously baffled

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ulises, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

“You could hide your weed in there.”

Djohm, jb welda and mrdon like this.
  2. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

The absurdity of a $1,500 light box aside, I’m not even sure how I’d use such a thing. Any ‘unsightly’ source components I have are hidden behind rack blanks with IR repeaters for a whole lot less. Maybe a lighted rack blank for only $1,000 is next. Other, larger, boxes that wouldn’t fit are squirreled away in a closet so I don’t have to spout the torturous logic of explaining why I spent thousands on power conditioners of dubious benefit.

Carl Swanson and AudioAddict like this.
  3. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

This thread keeps getting better…

CBackley likes this.
  4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I once sell my Krell for more then I bought (used) after almost 10 years of service. Recently Krell however is not that popular...
    I will play devil's advocate here and say that box is not overpriced. It is well made, have electronics (lights, remote control, etc). Got to be packed well. And it is made by McIntosh, cannot be 100 dollars..
    If I'll had all Mac gear $100K worth (and I do not have any) - but need a place to hide my roku, router, etc - this is not a bad addition.
    The only issue is huge logo and wording, they got to make it smaller and not distracting. But looks like Mac owners love those huge lights..

5. james

james Summon The Queen

that’s the worse part: it looks awful. There isn’t an audio rack in the world that it would improve.

imagine being hungover with that in your room. You’d feel like a pack of Marlboros

gakerty likes this.
  6. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well I haven't looked into this light nor care to, but with most newer mac gear lights can be dimmed or even turned off.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

$1,500 ... and no meters?!! Ripoff! :D

Even the loyalists over at the McIntosh forum are incredulous.

WvL likes this.
  8. Old Zorki II

There no provisions to turn light off or dim it -I just read manual. Of course you can turn it off, but in this case IR repeater probably will not work.
    Perhaps one can install film for car windows tinting to make it less distracting.

9. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

There are alternatives for cheapskates such as myself and I do seem to be in good company here:). A few years ago I wanted something to hide the ugly wiring running out of the back of my amps and Mcintosh themed lighting seemed like a good idea. So for a fraction of what the light boxes cost I had my own version. Plus all the parts came from Binghampton: even the handles and aluminum counterweights in the rear. The only non Mac item is the automotive strip light under the top cover which can also be turned on and off.

[​IMG]

WvL, Oddiofyl and 4-2-7 like this.
  10. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I bought the LB100, the previous version, it took 200h of break in to look really good, but after that it was amazing. I can't wait to upgrade to this new version.

Dave112, syork56, Djohm and 8 others like this.
  11. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

I love this quote...
    "The MCLK12 is the ultimate fun way to monitor the passing of time"

WvL and CBackley like this.
  12. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The market will decide that.

Consumers will decide that.

The market will decide that.

No need for moral outrage. If people want it, can afford it, and find utility in it, they'll buy it. Otherwise they won't. You don't have to feel anything about it. It's an object.

drh, Adam6437, Hanks3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

Don't forget your ofishkal McIntosh golf balls! They have been getting merchandising pointers from the Rolling Stones, its obvious.

jb

14. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

The good thing is that nobody has to buy one.

Alright4now likes this.
  15. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

This clearly seems to be a thread to voice outrage or insult customers and/or the McIntosh brand. But just for a moment think beyond your perspective and consider the platinum level McIntosh dealer and their customers that buys a complete McIntosh systems at the top end of their product line.

this likely exists because people asked for it. If you were to price out a high end McIntosh home theatre system, one with all McIntosh speakers each being driven by one of their massive mono block amps, the total will quickly exceed six figures. This most certainly happens and that customer isn’t spending their day chatting on the internet about stereo equipment or complaining about the cost of electronics. They are very likely people that want a very clean and professional look. And they are not people who will be installing or unboxing any components. I bet when the people that do that work finish the job and the customer is complaining about seeing wires, a cable box or some unsightly networking equipment they would really like to have a solution to make the customer happy. A customer that bought seven to eleven speakers, multiple amps, a rack and all the cables it takes to make it work. It was very likely part of a new house built or an extensive renovation that was over a million dollars. In that circumstance would you throw a fit about a $1,500 box that hides electrical junk you don’t want to see? I would also bet a paycheck the reason why this isn’t available for any of us to order is because it’s a limited production run that went to the dealers and they “throw it in” when you spend a bunch of money with them.

Make a trip to a dealer that is an “experience center”, make an appointment and check out the home theatre room. This box in that context is a lot different thank clicking a link on your phone. Sure, by itself it’s absurd and ugly. If your getting it comped when buying that demo system, you or only feel good about getting some the prices at $1,500 for free and you don’t have to see a router.

And…what if they made this box and sold it for $100. Does that sound like a good idea? When you have that much brand equity you don’t want to devalue it. Anything that has the brand has value because the brand has value. price it at $1,500, but it in the homepage and make sure it isn’t available. It’s marketing.

Doctor Fine, pscreed, drh and 5 others like this.
  16. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

Very well said you hit the nail on the head .

Doctor Fine and Marcev like this.
  17. AstroFly

AstroFly Forum Resident

Mcintosh’s moment has arrived…

18. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Good points Frank, no doubt.... I see it better from that perspective. I gotta have boxes that make music though.

19. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sir, this is a hifi forum. We talk about how objects make us feel constantly.

And those of us who love the hobby form a critical apparatus for how we judge the objects proposed to us by the industry. We develop, consciously or not, a mental framework for the critique of objects: form, function, value, style, emotional impact, etc.

When viewed through the context of my particular framework, this object fails (dramatically) across every possible category that I might judge it. I find it ill-conceived, overpriced, and garish.

If it succeeds across your particular criteria, please tell us why. But saying “the market will decide” or “you don’t have to buy it” isn’t much of a retort. You also don’t have to quote my responses and tell me I shouldn’t have an opinion, but yet you did.

Other opinions above seem to suggest those of us critiquing the object lack the sophistication or funds to appreciate it. I also think this is a flawed perspective. Just because something costs a lot doesn’t mean it’s above critique; and assuming those critiquing the expensive thing can’t afford it is misguided (and likely inaccurate).

Francois1968 and CBackley like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wrong. Overpriced stuff is made fun of all the time and justifiably so. $1500 for a cable is laughed at, for instance. But at least, its purpose is directly tied to audio performance.

Having a quick laugh at the over-the-top branding and brand loyalty hurts no one except the egos of those who can't laugh at themselves.

Getting genuinely upset that an online stranger understandably pokes fun at a lighted-sign-in-a-box that is clearly overpriced for what it is reveals perhaps that it is time to disconnect from the internet and gain some perspective.

I'm an audiophile and can definitely see the silliness and humor in spending 3K on a freakin' fancy needle to play records. Come on... lighten up, dude.

21. Old Zorki II

Yep. $5K+ record weights, $20K jumper cables, $2K record mats, $4K “vinyl demagnetizer “, $250 baby-proofing power outlet plug, racks $20k per “component space”, $70K speaker cables… and we are not yet at actual equipment… What is $1500 anyway…

Aftermath and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

No less cheesy than one of these in your listening space:

[​IMG]

DrZhivago and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

If the pool table is adequate (and level), I'll ignore the light shade. I really enjoy playing pool but I wouldn't want one of those tables in my listening room. Imagine what damage an errant cue ball could do to a nice stereo system...

24. fish

fish Senior Member

It's Quantum State. Neither yet Both.

scottys likes this.
  25. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

Stand down, soldier. I’m not upset, simply explaining what the reality is inside the McIntosh dealership where this product is available.

also, a $3,000 stylus/cartridge can be a pretty terrific thing.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.