McIntosh MX110 vs. MX110z

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Henry Love, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member Thread Starter

I kmow the z is supposed to be better.How much better?Can it be brought up to Z specs?

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Is there such a thing as a straight MX110? I thought they all had letters after them.

3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I'm not sure about specs, but I know that the earlier MX-110s physically had a different layout on the front of them. As I recall, the metal end pieces to the front plate looked quite a bit different too. The Z was brushed stainless steel on the front, and I think the earlier ones may have had a champagne finish. Hopefully someone with a non-Z model can chime in here. I only have a Z model here to look at.

4. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

The earlier MX-110's were the "M" series -- the serial numbers start with the letter M, versus the later "Z" series. The M's do have a different front panel layout, with a kind of strange horizontal edge-wise balance control in the middle. The Z's support the Panloc system, which is a quick-release, slide-in mounting design for McIntosh gear.

Do a search in this forum. There is another thread about the MX-110 and the magic of the 6D10 tube found in the Z series.

5. Henry Love

Thanks.I looked earlier on my phone but didn't find anything.

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I have a z...Gary has an x...
    We had them both serviced at Audio Classics...
    Mine has the 6D10 "compactron" tube...his doesn't...
    His x is rare as stink vs the m and the later z...
    All sound great!

7. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

8. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

This is the thing, any version of the MX-110 is great. When shopping for a MX-110, condition is the most important thing.

Gary and Paul K like this.
  9. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The production numbers for each type of model seem to be murky. Someone at audio karma has the numbers as M-series: 6,408; X-series: 1,894 & Z-series: 9,949. However, someone pointed out that the M-series number is way off. It was only produced from March to October of 1962, when Mcintosh was producing approximately 10,000 units in total for the whole year. This person guessed that the number was more likely a bit less than the X-series number. They were both produced for about 7 months.

Most likely the M-series and X-series are equally scarce compared to the Z-series (which was manufactured for 6 & 1/2 years).

Paul K likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The thing is, they revised the thing for a reason. The Non-Z versions are rarer but usually in terrible shape. The ZZZZZ's are usually in much better condition.

However, it doesn't really matter to me, I buy ONLY minty MX-110's I own two of them, both cleaner than my house. It would not have mattered what year they were made. Clean is clean, that's the one to get.

Disclaimer: Usually if the vintage gear is really clean it means it hasn't been touched much in 50 years which is good and bad. It might need an overhaul from non-use.

Okie dokie?

AnotherFritz likes this.
  11. Henry Love

Thanks for the replies.

12. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

I have an M. As mentioned, the X and Z were later. My M is ready to pick up after a retube, refurb and a bit of "optimizing". I suspect they are all pretty magical after bringing up to spec. Mine was mostly just brought to spec, but I also got rid of the rectifier, updated to a better volume control and bypassed the balance control (all reversible).

13. 1marantz

1marantz New Member

I bought a McIntosh MX-110 last August. I'm trying to figure out the serial number. My problem is in the 1970's this unit was in a police auction. They put white out over the serial # (so they could ID in the auction IDIOTS) Anyways I contacted McIntosh and they said the second location is under the main board. You have to remove the bottom cover. I located the S/N but it doesn't have any letter in it? 7511102 Any information would be appreciated. Due to my daughter being diagnosed with DIPG I'm selling the unit. If you look up DIPG you'll understand why.

14. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

McIntosh MX 110 (EARLY)

http://mcc.berners.ch/tuner-pre-amps/MX110EARLY.pdf

MX 110Z (LATE)

http://mcc.berners.ch/tuner-pre-amps/MX110LATE.pdf

The way to tell the difference at a glance is the concentric on/off volume and rotary balance control on the late version; slider balance control on early.

Other refinements include end caps which are slimmer and vertically "Veed" on later version.

There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus as to which may sound better which suggests they probably sound essentially alike.

Agreed 100% with Steve, cosmetic condition is paramount; functional issues can always be tended.

A highly regarded and quintessential piece of vintage Mc. An essential for the vintage Mc collector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.