McIntosh passes on MQA, calls it lossy and distorted..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Okay. You didn't answer the question of why we need multiple MQA threads or why manufacturer's press releases couldn't be posted in the other threads. However, since I've only ever encountered you in threads devoted to MQA, I'll trust this a serious matter to you that apparently requires multiple fronts. I'll relent.

However, if I see you making another post in this thread that isn't specific to a major manufacturer rejecting MQA I'm going to need to call it out as being off topic.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

thank you.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Hints: SACD, FPGA, originally released 2008

Gonna use it to thump that AN Dac with the old R2R chip! (couldn't help myself)

And then we're all going to come together and storm the gates of the MQA headquarters.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Funny response. They sounded identical. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your assumptions.

My Conrad-Johnson MF-80s don't sound like my Conrad-Johnson MF-100s.

My Audio Alchemy DLC sounds much different using the upgraded power supply, Power Station 3.

The DACs on my Pioneer Elite 80-FD sound the same as my Topping D20 with an upgraded power supply.
    The USB connection on the Topping has ZERO noise. ZERO. Both are very enjoyable to listen to.

When I get my Oppo 205 I will compare the USB to the Ethernet connection using a stereo source. I will be flabbergasted if they sound any different. Your assumptions don't hold water from my experience and I have seen many posts from many knowledgeable people here that have zero issues using USB connected audio sources.

Rolltide likes this.
  5. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Enjoy your new Oppo 205, but make sure you follow the warning on page 20 of the Oppo manual:

"We recommend using a digital audio cable no longer than 13 feet (4m) to guarantee the optimal bus performance and the correct interface operations."

Why do you think Oppo says that? Of course, there is no such warning for ethernet cable. If you use a 5 foot USB cable, it will work but there will be some degradation to the sound. It may or may not be audible to you. I appreciate your keeping an open mind and comparing USB to ethernet.

LeeS likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

They say that because that's what the USB spec says. Of course, even that isn't so much a hard and fast rule as the point where its harder to guarantee, I've used a 15' USB cable with no audible effects.

But the main thing to take away there is that Oppo doesn't advice users to use a magic cable, only a short one.

crispi, Hymie the Robot and Tommy SB like this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Have you read Archimago's review and measurements of the 205? I stumbled across them after I responded to your post yesterday. It really does back up what I was saying about the quality of USB audio connections, specifically in the 205.

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Oppo UDP-205 Part 2: Frequency Response, Noise and Distortion Levels. (Plus a look at the new v60 beta firmware.)

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Oppo UDP-205 Part 3: Jitter, some conclusions, discussions, and suggestions.

8. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

MQA is a joke.

9. Hymie the Robot

You're right, the marketing is pretty damn hilarious. On the other hand, "audiophiles" are pretty gullible.

10. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

The Archimago report does as you say. When I heard the audible degradation in sound from USB, the signal was not being sent to an Oppo 205 (I actually own one, but I use it for video rather than audio). In any event, I suggest that you compare streaming using USB and ethernet connections when you get the OPPO. The audible effects that I heard with other equipment were not subtle.

11. Hymie the Robot

I have two USB DACs, one stereo and one multichannel, and neither have obvious or subtle audible effects as you put it. I will most likely use only Ethernet on my 205 but that is because the USB-B connection only does stereo.

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have no intention of getting into MQA. Surprised to see The Absolute Sound magazine gushing about it.

13. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

New formats and products mean new advertising opportunities.

gd0 and Spitfire like this.
  14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah, obviously. But in this case, aren't there people who could take the same view that are against it? There's one or 2 on Stereophile who question the whole thing.

Anyway, I'm opting out and applaud McIntosh.

15. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

True, you could say that some manufacturers who have publicly spoken out against MQA are doing it for self served reasons.

Or you could believe they really don't want to pay the licensing, don't like how Bob's upsampling filter sounds and/or don't want to open their intellectual property to MQA which has been mentioned as a requirement when implementing the MQA filters.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    billnunan likes this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Maybe some of them just don't think it sounds good enough to force a format change. I still believe some people have integrity. Some.

F1nut likes this.
  17. 29 Melbury Road

29 Melbury Road Active Member

Not entirely - you're not able to listen to MQA (masters) on Tidal (in fact no streaming at all) but only as a file.

18. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

Meridian has probably spent hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing for MQA.

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Wha? How big a company is Meridian?!

20. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I assume that decision not to support MQA also applies to the Audio Research line as well as Macintosh products?

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I would be astonished if they had that much to play with. Astonished.

eddiel likes this.
  22. Lush

Lush Forum Resident

So what if McIntosh pass on MQA. Most people can't afford their HiFi equipment anyway. All you need is a half decent hifi , Stream either Qobuz for their Hi Rez or Tidal for their Hifi / MQA service and you have extremely good sound quality. No debate needed. Both devices sound great., fantastic, amazing, beautiful. end of story

23. Lush

Lush Forum Resident

People get so uptight about something that isn't even an issue.

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed. Firmware and digital devices with disc transports are not McIntosh Lab's forte.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MQA is still lossy, still what McIntosh says it is. MQA is DRM and lossy crap, MQA benefits MQA, Ltd. and nobody else. FLAC does what MQA claims to do, and much better. And plays on everything capable of handling the bit rates and sample rates used. MQA is also NOT HiRes. See Yellow Button explaining the Output of The Bull!!!

Shiver, F1nut, ClassicalCD and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.