Mcintosh preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dylan Tocco, Aug 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylan Tocco

Dylan Tocco New Member Thread Starter

just picked up an MC-240 and am looking for a preamp to go with it. I was looking at the newer MP100 Phono Preamp, would this be a good fit? or should I look for a c28 or c29 instead?

2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

The MP100 Phono Preamp is for phono only, there aren't any other inputs. Plus there's no volume control ... you'd need another preamp to plug this into anyway. I think most of their other preamps will have a phono preamp built in.

The 240 is supposed to be a super-sweet (meaning GOOD!) amp, I lusted after one for a while. Almost traded some gear for it but the deal fell thru. It might be heretical but I would have paired it with a modern preamp. My current system has a SS pre and tube amps ...

It has >200kohm input impedance so any decent preamp shouldn't have any issues driving it. What's your budget? Of course folks (including me) will want to nudge that value ever upward! Seems like the 240 is worth spending whatever you can and more on a good pre.

I'm sure there are many McIntosh folks who can give you good advice.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  3. Dylan Tocco

Thanks for the reply! Exactly the info i needed. I only listen to records so having only a phono stage is not a problem, however i didn’t realize there was no volume control on the mp100 which means I’ll probably put that on hold for now. Id like to stay under $2,000 ideally. The 240 is my first tube amp and i’m blown away!

Rick58 likes this.
  4. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I used a passive pre-amp in my setup for a bit. for a while. Results were good after some experimentation with phone pre-amp settings.

Run the McIntosh phone pre into the passive and then into the amp. Basically just a volume control

Here’s one from
    Schiit: Schiit SYS Volume Control and 2-Input Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6Q2A4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.8ZqFb5E5T05T

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Mnmmt

Mnmmt Well-Known Member

I think you really should match the mc240 with a tube pre. I replaced a c26 with th he mx110z and it was a big improvement. A Mcintosh mx110z is a great option with an excellent phono preamp in it.

Not to knock the passive pre (i have a schiit sys that i have tried) but the sys lacks something compared to a tube pre--there is less body and life to the sound with the sys.

Rick58, oregonalex and Rolltide like this.
  6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

7. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Tubes definitely have a 'magic' to them especially if you haven't heard top-notch SS gear, and even if you have (but then it gets closer). I started on the journey in 1984 when I bought a Yamaha A-700 integrated amplifier, my first semi-high-end piece of gear ($500 new = $1250 now). It sounded very good, had good lateral imaging/soundstaging, but after hearing systems with 'depth' I realized it was severely lacking (IIUC newer Yamahas have good depth). I really didn't notice this for several years, being happy with the system sound and not listening to other good stereo gear in the meantime.

Around 1995, after hearing some better systems and learning about tubes and such, a friend lent me a 1965ish vintage Dynaco SCA-35 to try ... WOW !!!! there was some depth and space to the imaging, and it sounded MUCH more like real musicians playing together. Paid $110 to my friend, the amp didn't leave my system until 2002, when I bought an Audio Analogue Puccini SE (SS but having tube-like sonics). I tend not to change gear very often! altho I modded/upgraded the SCA-35 quite extensively.

Dylan Tocco likes this.
  8. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I have a C28 with my tube amp. They make wonderful music together. :agree:

Dylan Tocco and grx8 like this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Recently bought a Mc C20, which is probably going to be out of your price range. But before that I was using a restored Mc C24, the first solid state pre that Mc produced. It's not as highly regarded as Mc pre's that came after, but that's probably because those that heard it recently have not heard it properly restored. Those that have, like me, agree that it's a terrific preamp, simple in design and wonderful in sound. Honestly if I ever sold off my C20 I could easily live with the C24. The differences are not overwhelming. The C24 has two excellent phono's, which I'm still using because I have 4 tables in use.

Best of all, a properly restored one can be had for less then $1000 from Audio Classics.

Audio Classics - C24

10. Dylan Tocco

I would love a C20, i may have to save up a little longer for one! C24 is a great option as well, I’ll definitely look into that

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I owned a C29 and it was a beautiful preamp, quality build. A little harder to locate than some of the other models.

12. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

I have my MC240 paired with a C28 and couldn't be happier. Maybe some day I'll get a McIntosh tube pre when the kids are out of college. I was using a Schiit Mani phono pre with my old pre. When I switched to the C28 I went with the onboard phono pre and it sounds great. I recently hooked up a Schiit Modius DAC to the aux on the C28 and it sounds fantastic when playing HD digital.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

Rick58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.