Meat Loaf dies aged 74 (R.I.P)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by madsurfer, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Back in the late 70s when my parents got separated and then divorced shortly after, my Brother and I would walk over to my Dad's apartment just a short distance away. I remember my Dad was laid up due to a work related injury so he slept and sat on a hide abed in the living room to recover from his injury. I remember seeing a large size of LPs leaning against a wall and the one in the front was Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell. I just could not get over that awesome album cover. Later I would hear the music and see the great man Meat Loaf arguing with the pretty lipstick wearing brunette lady in the video for Paradise By The Dashboard Light. His presence in that video like all of his videos was over the top and somewhat scary. He was just a madman but this was his act. He was a nice guy offstage and well liked by many musicians and had many fans. I eventually bought the Bat Out Of Hell cassette in the early 80s and got the CD in 1988. A Japan for US copy that was in the long box. Like KISS, The Rolling Stones and other bad boy rock bands, I will always remember Meat Loaf. I'm sad that he passed away, especially from a stupid virus. Meat Loaf went through a lot of hurdles in his life but always seemed to bounce back. I was hoping this time around too. Well, things didn't turn out the way I and his fans and family wanted but I wish him the best and that he is resting in peace. Just a few days ago I had a local classic rock station on and the song I Would Do Anything For Love was playing and to my surprise it was a different version from the one on the Bat Out Of Hell 2 album. This must have been a single edit since it was considerably shorter and was missing some of the vocal lines. I remember when I was young playing the Bat Out Of Hell cassette around my friends and getting the weirdest looks from them. During this time Meat Loaf was sort of under the radar since his first peak was from that first album and he was somewhat unknown to younger people. When the second Bat Out Of Hell album came out in 1993 he hit his second peak and made another great album that got him even more of a fan base as well as a lot of young kids. I saw kids wearing Meat Loaf shirts throughout the 1990s and I think back to the kids I hung out with that thought Meat Loaf was not their type. I bet many of them became converts later just like most people did. RIP, Meat Loaf.

2. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I was lucky enough to see him during that period in a smallish bar in an "industrial park". He tore the roof off the place.

Hep Alien and blastfurniss like this.
  3. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

My second favorite Meat Loaf song.

For Crying Out Loud

Amazing song. I love he goes from soft and delicate to loud and powerful and back again.
    Beautiful.

4. TheSixthBeatle

TheSixthBeatle Quae nocent, saepe docent

Good night, sweet Loaf
    And flights of Angels
    Sing thee to thy Rest

Amnion likes this.
  5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

RIP. Bat out of Hell was absolutely a part of the soundtrack of my youth.

Amnion likes this.
  6. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Saw him at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park during that time period. Think it was ‘88. Got to hang with him after the show as we stayed at the same motel his band was staying at. Really down to earth guy. Nothing phoney about him. In real life anyway. Oxygen tanks not withstanding.:)
    Love you Meat.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Don't be sad
    'Cause two out of three ain't bad.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

9. Ern

Ern Senior Member

RIP
    Always had a soft spot for this song:

10. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I always thought his voice would have been good on a ‘90s electronic track — Orbital, The Chemical Brothers, UNKLE, etc. — just for the juxtaposition

11. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

It'll be interesting to see how much his passing will result in a sales spike and chart reentry for albums & single cuts. Meatloaf is extremely popular in the UK with ordinary working folks who like a good rock out. Pubs up and down the country will be blasting his tunes out of their juke boxes this weekend in glorious remembrance of one of Rock's truly larger than life characters.

12. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

My son who is now 31 was just a toddler when this track reached No1 on the UK chart- he was fascinated by the video in a scary mesmerised way, referring to Meatloaf as "the Beast" in hushed tones "daddy it's the BEAST"! He's been teased non stop ever since then.

13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, I think there could be a notable spike for Bat and the compilations.

I was looking for early press CDs of Bat and Dead Ringer last year, and promptly forgot to keep looking. So tonight maybe wasn't the wisest time to start searching again...I noticed a lot of eBay listings with multiple bids already for some items and prices rising beyond the norm. But amazingly I got what I was hoping to find.

EG.

14. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

thankyou for the smiles
    thankyou for the music
    thankyou for being you
    RIP Meatloaf.

15. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I hope he gets a decent chart spike, a "last hurrah". He deserves his place in rock history. Just another reminder of how old so many of the icons are- late 70s and early 80s and the last of the crooners Tony Bennett is in his 90s. 2022 might be a dark year for music lovers of all genres.

16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

For the longest time in the 80s and 90s, Bat was - along with Rumours - the longest running album on the UK chart. When 400 or 500 weeks was exceptional. Before it all got a bit silly with the demise of a vibrant album market and the incorporation of streaming.

EG.

DesertHermit and joy stinson like this.
  17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

A vocal giant. :cry:

18. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

I agree with you, dwilpower.
    He should get plenty of airplay and sales.

HorseyAnn and joy stinson like this.
  19. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Paradise by the Dashboard Light

The cruiser make out song
    “Do you love me forever”

And the ironic ending

Oh and Karla Devito. (Fixed)
    Who actually isn’t the vocalist

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

It's one of two favorite songs that he recorded. The other is the Tom Waits cover, Martha.

Hep Alien, joy stinson and Moshe like this.
  21. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

My friend, Drew Dockry, is a great student of rock 'n' roll. Not only does he love rock, he respects it. There was only one thing Drew could make for dinner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    joepepitone and audiotom like this.
  22. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

DeVito, not Bonoff.

audiotom likes this.
  23. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I never knew he covered Martha.

joy stinson likes this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

Rest in peace. Like almost everyone else, I heard some tracks off the Bat Out of Hell LP when it came out, decided most of them were pretty good, and purchased it forthwith ...

It was also my first exposure to the lovely and talented Ellen Foley. Bonus!

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Me neither.

elgoodo and joy stinson like this.