Megadeth Capitol 'Vaults' reissues... specifically regarding Rust in Peace

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ralf Walter, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralf Walter

Ralf Walter New Member Thread Starter

Hello fellow thrashers. Thought I'd share something I found around recent Megadeth vinyl. I have all the original Megadeth digitally and from way back in days of tapes I remember Megadeth always sounding a certain way. That said - when Mustaine remixed the entire catalog I was very put off by Rust in Piece. There were re-recorded vocals and then alternate takes used for some things. For me - it ruined Rust in Piece the way I was accustomed to hearing it. However - I recall none of the other remixes stood out as problematic. They were boomier in the bottom end but that's all I could recall. Fast forward to now - which is that I don't listen to anything unless it's on vinyl. It's just my new thing now for about a year.

I recently saw the Megadeth reissues from Capitol 'Vaults' for 'Peace Sells', 'So Far...' and 'Rust in Peace'. I grabbed them all the while forgetting about the Mustaine remixes. And plus the hype stickers say 'Faithfully Restored' - so why not? I have also been after 'Countdown' and 'Youthanasia' but the only way to get them on vinyl is on picture disc (without taking out loans). So I also bought a lot of picture discs (UMe) that included 'Countdown' and 'Youthanasia' but also had 'Peace Sells' and 'So Far...". The missing picture disc was 'Rust' so I found that too just to be complete.

Here's what I found. The picture discs ARE the Mustaine mixes. The Capitol 'Vaults' kind-of are. I believe 'Peace Sells' and 'So Far' Mustaine mixes are an improvement so that's all good imo. However - the kicker in all this is that one would assume that 'Rust in Peace' would also be the Mustaine remix. Well, folks, it's not. It's definitely remastered but all that questionable vocal stuff that happened on the remix are absent on the Capitol Vaults reissue. However - the RiP picture disc is the Mustaine mix so just an FYI...

2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Well, it's a known thing between Megafans that Capitol From the Vaults features RiP, PSBWB with original 1990 and 1986 mixes respectively while SFSGSW features 2004 remix. The recent picture disks all feature 2004 remixes.

What bugs me about 2004 mixes on vinyl is that according to producer Dennis Wolfe in liner notes of PSBWB 25th Anniversary Boxset: "The 2004 remix and Randy Burns mixes were done at standard CD resolution of 16 bit/44.1k." So basically if you like the variations Dave made on those mixes there's no point (as I see it) in getting them on vinyl.

klockwerk and eric777 like this.
  3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I have the Capitol Vaults Rust and it sounds absolutely fantastic to me, at least.

I also have Countdown from Mofi and it sounds interesting. I can't remember back to the days of hearing it on CD but the Mofi sounds very lively and on some songs, Dave sounds like he's in the dang room. Normally that's a good thing but with Dave? I don't know, lol.

Retrovertigo, DoF and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I had both the "faithfully restored" version and original pressing of RIP for awhile and both sounded really good to my ears. I never heard the picture discs and don't plan on it. My favorite regarding SQ was the EU original pressing (at least I think it was from EU) of Youthanasia. If you can get your hands on a copy I highly recommend it. It came in both blue and black vinyl. I had the black since I avoided colored vinyl like the plague.

I sold it all about a year ago. The only LP I miss is that copy of Youthanasia.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Soundslave likes this.
  5. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Fantastic sound from the Vaults re-issue of Rust in Peace - much, much better than the 2004 CD and an amazing album as well! :righton:

"Fools like me who cross the sea..."

CraigC likes this.
  6. Soundslave

You're very lucky to have that :) My friend got a South American one. But in my case I doubt I could find my favorite album on the original vinyl for a good price. Another vinyl mate of me struggles with getting his hands on CW LP haha)

eric777 likes this.
  7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I don't think I have ever seen a copy of Cryptic Writings or Risk on vinyl.

8. Soundslave

Risk was never released on vinyl but CW was, only UK though.

eric777 likes this.
  9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

So Capitol From the Vaults edition of PSBWB on vinyl is good to go, right?

eric777 and toddrhodes like this.
  10. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I have this Peace Sells... Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

I would stay far, far away from that one. It is so bright and shrill that I much prefer the original US CD. Even though the CD has always been bright and thin sounding. I ended up finding an original US LP a few years ago and it's much better. I also own early UK pressings of Killing, Rust, Countdown (this is an EU press actually) and So Far. They all sound great, so I have no desire to try and upgrade their sound. So you have options other than buying stupid expensive early US presses.

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It is the original mix, if that is what you are asking.

DoF likes this.
  12. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I have the Rust In Peace one and it sounds on par with the 80s originals I have of the first 3 albums. I expect it's thicker vinyl than an original, though don't have one to compare.

On this note, does anyone know if the Capitol Vaults release of Red Hot Chili Peppers' Freaky Styley has the 80s mix or the 2004 remaster?

13. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thanks.

14. Soundslave

Yep. But we have this feedback on PSBWB reissue:

In my experience of comparing original 1986 UK LP and 2011 EU LP from my PSWBW 25th Anniversary boxset, I would say that original UK sounds less compressed and less detailed. I was expected the newer LP to be loud and "bright and shrill" but it sounded a little bit more punchy and that's all. Didn't hear any bad distortion or digital artifacts on it as on digital version on CD or hi-res wav files. I wonder if 2008 reissue is different to 2011 because in the boxset there is a 2011 information on mastering.

DoF likes this.
  15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have the Capitol Vault PSBWB but have not had a chance to listen yet.

Soundslave likes this.
  16. Soundslave

Little update on my 2008 vs 2011 PSBWB question.
    2008 version was cut by Dave McEowen from Capitol and the origin is unknown to me (whether they indeed used "Capitol Vaults" analog or digitized form for the vinyl).
    2011 was remastered by Evren Goknar at Capitol and lacquers were cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering from 24/96 in April 2011. Probably this means that they used the same loud remastering as presented on DVD-audio but I guess CB did his magic and it doesn't sound as bad on vinyl.
    Anyway, the main point is - 2008 and 2011 were indeed different, yet they both feature original 1986 mix.

DoF and eric777 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.