Megadeth on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Soundslave, Feb 24, 2018.

1. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Just a warning to others who are looking for original European LPs of Megadeth: I saw several supposed "mint" copies floating around on Discogs, eBay, and online shops that are actually unofficial copies. I don't know where they came from, though. The same is happening for Slayer and Metallica albums, too.

Megadeth – Killing Is My Business .. And Business Is Good! (2018, Vinyl)
    Megadeth – Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (Vinyl)

The Killing is My Business unofficial copy is a Frankenstein release with the album jacket copied from the Roadrunner pressing while the centre labels came from the Bennett French release.

rambolambo007 likes this.
  2. nosliw

I thought I'd bump this thread as I got the three Megadeth LPs sometime ago. The UK LP of Rust in Peace sounds especially excellent. The other two are great sounding though my copy of So Far has some surface noise but is otherwise very good sounding. Next, I'm hoping to find an early/original LP of Killing Is My Business, which is already more difficult to find now for a more reasonable price.

Soundslave and MikeInFla like this.
  3. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

I don't have an original Killing is My Business... but I did pick up this recently and it sounds pretty good. I saw an interview with Dave Eleffson where he said he thought it was the best it has sounded considering the numerous remasters over the years. He's biased of course but it was never well recorded in the first place. Plus there is some extra live stuff.
    Megadeth - Killing Is My Business And Business Is Good (The Final Kill) (2018, Red Translucent, Vinyl) | Discogs

4. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice! UK RIP was declared the best for the sound by Valeron in the video I posted earlier. I'm pretty satistfied with my EU copy.
    As for KIMB - I have the MFN early pressing from 1985 made in Holland, which sounds okay to me. Again, because of uneven production some sonic parts on songs are varied - I think Rattlehead have truncated cymbal sounds for example, while the following track has cymbals right on the point. Other than that, pretty nice and detailed sound sans the "80's reverberation" production overall.
    As for Final Kill - while the mix is great of course, the sound is still a bit compressed to be featured as a direct successor over original mastering. Other than that, sounds okay.

RockyMTnLeg Shaver and nosliw like this.
  5. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

I hear you on The Final Kill. It's good not great but this album was always pretty lo-fi sounding to me. It's not one of the Megadeth albums I reach for often.

As far as RIP you are correct. I had two UK copies and they sounded excellent. The only problem is finding a clean copy. I now have a EU copy and it sounds just as good without the problems of the UK fragile vinyl.

6. Soundslave

It is my favorite of their 80s output, haha :) That's why I decided to get at least the Holland one. Got it pretty cheap and didn't know what to expect actually. Again it sounds okay, very dynamic nevertheless.

Oh, that cool. Based on Valeron's samples on the video the UK had a bit too much treble to my ears and I didn't bother to find that pressing. The EU was confirmed to have the same sound as US one by a member here, so I was very happy they are similar indeed. Since you say it's not as fragile and sounds close to UK - I really made the right choice. My copy is EX+, with some minor crackling at the start of Side B and partially in-between the songs, but the sound is considerably better than CD counterpart or Capitol from the Vaults reissue. So, thanks again for your input!
    P.S. I'm still on the fence if I need SFSGSW because I don't favor it that much and prefer the 2004 remix, but there's that gap in my original Megadeth LPs between PSBWB and RIP... :)

7. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Not a fan of what he did to ‘Into The Lungs Of Hell’ on that one. Guitars sound way better on original - IMO of course ;)

Soundslave likes this.
  8. nosliw

I recently got the Banzai LP pressing of Megadeth's Killing Is My Business and it sounds good to my ears. For some reason, the original mix kind of grew on me.

Soundslave and Munger74 like this.
  9. Soundslave

Nice. I only settled on MFN Holland 1985 KIMB so far and while the mix is not as detailed as Final Kill, I still enjoy it for the dynamics and original drum sounds.

nosliw likes this.
  10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

11. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

tinnox likes this.
  12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I ordered it from there and still has not delivered of course I canceled when I got it today from my local

13. jazon

Yeah, I might have to find somewhere else to get it too. Amazon is failing to come through a number of albums lately.

tinnox likes this.
  14. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

They failed on a couple of key preorders I placed with them this year and seemed to be MIA for represses that many other shops were restocked on. Used to be a foolproof way to secure an album with easy returns but sadly no longer the case.

15. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Can anyone help me identify Peace Sells original vs remaster when looking in a store? Capitol (very dishonestly IMO) uses the exact same catalog number and bar code for the 1986 US original (that everyone loves) and the 2008 remaster (which everyone hates). I can't find any 2008 dates or any identifying marks on the sleeve whatsoever when looking at it in the store or on discogs. A local shop has 2 copies of Peace Sells which have none of the Capitol From the Vaults stickers that supposedly identify the 2008 US reprint. It only has a parental advisory-explicit lyrics sticker so I am concerned it may be the EU version of the 2008 release. Does anyone who bought the 2008 EU remember what stickers it had on the front? Discogs has no listing. Anything else I could look for?

16. Soundslave

I can only say that Discogs has an entry for 2021 reissue (pressed at GZ) that has the same 2008 stampers in the runout.
    Megadeth – Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (2021, 180g, Vinyl)
    This one doesn't have the Capitol from the Vaults sticker per description and photos.
    All 2008 reissues had that sticker, so probably you see the 2021 reissue at the store. I'd recommend to go on Ebay or Discogs if you want the original 1986 US pressing.

On a side note - it's pretty funny to me to read that some on Discogs believe that limited purple colored PSBWB reissue from 2018 possibly has "2011 remastering" which was never the case. The 2011 boxset LP was cut by Chris Bellman from 24/96 transfer and no other reissue bears his inscription in the deadwax, so don't be fooled :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Mat86 likes this.
  17. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, I really wanted to believe that my local store somehow had acquired 2 copies of PSBWB still brand new from 1986 but then I woke up :D
    Disappointing that the Bellman cut is stuck in a box set, I love his work on Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden vinyl.

18. Soundslave

No prob, always happy to provide info for Megadeth enthusiasts :)
    Yeah, it's a bit of a shame. Of course 2011 digital remaster was not that good because of the compression, but Chris Bellman in my opinion did a miracle with the source and it sounds good on vinyl from the box. I already expressed that I really like the raw nature of original UK pressing (NickZ cut), but as far as consistency and detail, that 2011 LP beats it.

The Slipperman likes this.
  19. jazon

well.amazon came through on this album thankfully. I was starting to think I'd have to get it elsewhere which would of cost me nearly double.

20. jazon

I had that purple one. thought it sounded bad. sold it and got an original US. much better sound.

21. Soundslave

Yeah, my impression is that From the Vaults reissues are only good for their price and the fact that they have original mix. Other than that - they can't replace the earlier pressess (I compared both RiP 1990 EU vs 2008 and PSBWB 1986 UK vs 2011 vs 2013 with 2008 mastering).

Dorian75 likes this.
  22. oddmentandtweak

oddmentandtweak Well-Known Member

Hi folks. Wondering if anyone has heard the 2013 reissue of RIP or knows what mix it is? Can't seem to find any info on this press... would appreciate any info! Thanks

23. Soundslave

What particular reissue do you mean? Any stickers on the front, or (if you already have a copy) deadwax info?
    As far as RiP reissues go, it started with 2008 From the Vaults, which has the original mix, then picture disk variant in 2013 (this one has 2004 remix) and later on I only recall colored repress (blue vinyl) and later represses of 2008 reissue. Colored and later reissues all have the same 2008 origin in terms of mastering (cut by Ron McMaster).

24. oddmentandtweak

Thanks for the info. Here's the reissue I'm looking at though I don't own it myself so can't check the wax. Seems to be just black vinyl, not a picture disk. Perhaps is a repress of 2008? Megadeth – Rust In Peace (2013, Vinyl) . Hope this link works!

25. oddmentandtweak

D'oh I just realized there are a few reviews visible on the desktop site (not the app which is my go to). Seems it's a repress of 2008 on black vinyl, 180g. Mixed reviews though.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021