Mel Pritchard (Barclay James Harvest) R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler Thread Starter

After picking up a mint vinyl copy of the BJH "Live Tapes" album today, I decided to check the Web for some details of recording dates and locations. Well, a trip to their Web site at http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/index.htm revealed a bit of sad news. Their drummer Mel Pritchard passed away about 3 weeks back (the night of Jan 27/28). It appears to have been a heart attack brought on by an embolism.

I always enjoyed the BJH sound back in the heyday of '70s progressive music. I can't recall much (if any) discussion of their work here in the past. I think that they have a lot of music in their back catalogue that fans of Yes, Moody Blues etc... would enjoy.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Chris: thanks for the update. I used to play their stuff on the air a lot when I did college radio in the 70s.

3. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Sad news indeed . I first heard BJH back in the 70's on FM radio and immediately became a fan after discovering them. Have quite a bit on Vinyl but don't have any CD releases.
    BJH is one those bands that you don't see in the U.S. record stores bins much. Are there any good UK releases on CD that are mastered good and worth picking up ?

4. ChrisM

I have tons of their stuff on vinyl and only a couple of CDs. I have 2 CDs which contain their first 4 albums. These were issued on BGO some years back. I recall them sounding OK but, still reach for the vinyl when I play those albums.

Last year, EMI issued some remasters with bonus tracks. I'm tempted to get the first album as there are lots of BBC tracks on it. I'd also invest in the BBC Radio One Concert disc. I've had a copy done from a transcription disc for many years and it's a good show.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

This is truly sad; I love most of BJH's music. Rest In Peace, Mel.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

sad!

7. Mark, I played BJH as well when I worked started in college radio in 1975. Very sad about Mel. :(

8. ChrisM

I've also played them on my programme. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.