Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness vinyl Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulisdead, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

Since I found out about the recent reissue I thought I'd make a playlist based on the 3LP vinyl version. I have to say, it does flow better than the CD version I've been used to all these years.

But why the different tracklisting for vinyl?

Length of tracks? To better aid the "concept" of the album?

Any Pumpkins fans here know?

2. paulisdead

Track listing here:

Side A
    Dawn
    1. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    2. Tonight Tonight
    3. Thirty-Three
    4. In the Arms of Sleep
    5. Take Me Down

Side B
    Tea Time
    1. Jellybelly
    2. Bodies
    3. To Forgive
    4. Here is No Why
    5. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

Side C
    Dusk
    1. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
    2. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
    3. Muzzle
    4. Galapogos
    5. Tales of a Scorched Earth

Side D
    Twilight
    1. 1979
    2. Beautiful
    3. Cupid de Locke
    4. By Starlight
    5. We Only Come Out at Night

Side E
    Midnight
    1. Where Boys Fear to Tread
    2. Zero
    3. An Ode to No One
    4. Love
    5. X.Y.U.

Side F
    Starlight
    1. Stumbleine
    2. Lily (My One and Only)
    3. Tonite Reprise
    4. Farewell and Goodnight
    5. Infinite Sadness

3. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

4. paulisdead

5. imarcq

Beats JB eh? :righton:

6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

The vinyl song order absolutely runs better and makes Mellon Collie a better album overall. It follows the theme headings of each of the 6 vinyl sides and just flows.

After the vinyl was originally released, I never played the CD again. You also get two additional tracks compared to the CD.

Unfortunately the vinyl re release has taken the easy option and just followed the digital CD masters.

Why did Billy have the vinyl different, I am not sure

8. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Whilst I can't imagine for a minute that this will be honoured I've taken a punt - with Expedited Shipping to UK CDN 38.47 equates to GBP 23.96 as opposed to the GBP 140.00 that Amazon UK are asking.

If this comes off it will be an early Christmas present!! :righton:

9. imarcq

I'm sure that my despicable troll-like de-railing attempts will be appreciated (as long as the Amazon.canucks deliver!) :) :) :)

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:laugh:

I've got some super discounted items from them in the past, so hopefully this one will add to the list :)

11. imarcq

Well it's basically lunch! No harm in trying :)

12. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Looks like it went up.

13. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Damn. Slept on it.... So much for ordering 40 of them and paying for my flight to Europe:D

14. imarcq

Up to $65 now.

15. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

I was really hoping the reissue would have the same track order as the original vinyl issue. This is my favorite album and I really want to hear this alternate version. Ah well, either way I love the new packaging and am thrilled to be able to finally have it on vinyl.

I guess I will just save up and eventually try to get an original on ebay.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

After I've seen the pricetag (150€) I'm a bit annoyed. No way I'm going to buy this. I remember that the original wasn't cheap either at 60DM (=30€) but that was another time;) So...I 'm going to stick to my original.

BTW: I'm perplexed that nobody seems to know anything about the person responsible for the original's vinyl different running order. Isn't this documented somewhere?

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Interestingly if amazon ca ship the re release vinyl, it will cost me less than when I bought the original vinyl when it was originally released.:D:righton:

18. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

19. Neonbeam

20. Mister Squishy

Mister Squishy New Member

Hi, everyone! This is my first post.

I'm surprised by how many people prefer the original vinyl tracklist. Are you all sure you're not just suffering from "vinyl syndrome?" ;) This being an audiophile forum where vinyl is generally preferred for its sound quality, maybe people just want to believe that the vinyl version is better in all respects? Because I can't see how otherwise anyone can think the vinyl order is better. It seems to me to have been made primarily so the album will fit on three LPs. To me, it throws much of the pacing off, and one of this album's strengths is how well-paced it is. Even the two extra tracks seem like afterthoughts. One is a reprise of a previous song, and the other is actually from the Siamese Dream era.

In any case, it's pretty clear that the CD tracklist is the "real" one, i.e. the one the band intended. It was the first to be released, and CD is a less restrictive medium than vinyl in terms of allowed track lengths. The fact the that new vinyl has the CD tracklist confirms this. So, in terms of purism/artist intent (I've lurked on this forum a bit and it seems that people here value this), the CD tracklist is the way to go.

ReadySteady, dayday and Paden like this.
  21. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Hello squish. I would just like to experience this awesome album in a new way. I like both track listings of Machina (also different for vinyl and cd). I do agree with you that the Mellon Collie cd track listing is ultimately the one intended for the album.

I, like Neonbeam, would really love to find out how the alternate vinyl listing was decided on, and by whom. And, regardless of who decided on it, what Billy's thoughts are on it.

22. Neonbeam

I guess an important factor is the force of habit. Regardless of any "audiophile" notions the version you have grown used to most likely will be the version that feels "right" to you. See the discussion about the US and UK configurations of Beatles & Stones albums.

But you are right: Since the new vinyl follows the CD running order Corgan seems to regard it as "definitive". Still I wonder why in 1995 somebody thought it had to be rearranged for the vinyl. Fitting songs on six sides is one thing but since the song length doesn't
    vary that wildly - like on the new Swans album for example - reorganizing them wasn't a neccessity. They even went as far as giving the sides individual names. I'd just love to know if BC was involved in this or if this was simply a record company job.

The good thing is that this new version seals the original's fate as collectible. While a simple 1:1 reissue would have brought down the price.

23. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

In your opinion.

I have both the CD and vinyl. I prefer the vinyl sequencing as it seems to gel better as a musical listening experience. The selection of the two additional racks into the " Starlight " fits exactly into the side 6 feel.

If you mean the vinyl syndrome by appreciating a better quality sound compared to CD's. yes I plead guilty as charged.

The only thing that is clear to me for the vinyl re-issue is all they are doing is taking the digital master and directly transferring that to the vinyl masters. Whether Billy has been involved in this decision making process, who knows?

As has been mentioned, the LP sequencing following the CD is actually a great thing. It makes my and every other original LP a true collectable. perhaps that what Billy has wanted all the time ;)

lona09 likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

Who knows? Well... it's all over the internet:

Remastered from the Original Analog Masters - personally overseen by founding member Billy Corgan

So the new version could be a nice alternative to the original.

25. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Just got this from Amazon.ca:

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report we won't be able to obtain the following item from your order:

Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (Vinyl)"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it's not available from any of our sources at this time. We realize this is disappointing news to receive, and we apologize for any inconvenience we've caused you.

We've cancelled this item from your order.

Your order is now closed.

Looks like they worked out how much of a discount the $26.99 price tag was!
    They dont even still have it as available.
    Amazon US still has it though at $73.99 which is still a lot better than the GBP140 that Amazon.uk has!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.