Metal Machine Music: Unappreciated or justly ignored?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greenoort, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

No, not an acquired taste. You either like it or you don’t. No amount of listening to this record is going to make it more palatable, to me anyway. Hats off to those who like it, but I heard it once I won’t be revisiting it. I like a challenging listen and complexity regularly in my music but this is only good for driving unwanted relatives out of the house.

Noisefreq1 likes this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Good point. I expect few, of anyone, are going to play it multiple times and eventually get into it. More likely you're going to play it once, and then ditch it if it's not your thing. This is at the extreme end of "challenging", imo. I may not have liked it were it not for Zeitkratzer, and/or the fact that I was already introduced to "Noise" as a genre by Merzbow.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Metal Machine Music: Unappreciated or justly ignored?

If someone wants to find out, I have a Very Rare -- OOP -- French MPO pressing, with alternate cover photo/artwork (compared to other releases of this album)

French PIP # DC 023

“Made in France by MPO” on the disc

“MPO 01” included in hub inner ring

Disc = NM

Artwork:

Includes a lot of details about equipment used on the booklet (which is in VG+++ condition, with a faint vertical line going down it)

And a philosophical treatise (!) on the back insert, which is NM.

4. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I get what you mean, but in my case, I certainly acquired a taste for this album. As a Lou Reed fan, I gave it a go, didn't like it, admired the man for being so bold, and left it behind me.

Last year, as a part of my university studies I was familiarising myself with the work of La Monte Young, and the Theatre of Eternal Music with Tony Conrad and John Cale, and their studies of harmonic relationships through long-form drone performance. As I read more about it, and the theory behind it, I managed to acquire a new appreciation for what Reed was doing on MMM. I find it interesting to listen to now, not something to put on every day for sure - or even in one sitting. A side at a time fills my quota. But, I've definitely found myself enjoying it.

And please don't get me wrong, I don't want to be standing up on some pedestal spouting, "you need a high IQ to appreciate this" - because that's crap and elitist. I'm just saying that with added context, I have a better understanding of what Reed was trying to do on the album.

5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Apparently so far ahead that we still haven’t got to the point where most people like or understand it (including me and Lou is one of my all time faves)

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

7. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

I get a kick out of people trying to extract some kind of "artistry" or "insight" into MMM.

It's just recorded noise, and Lou Reed was (is) just screwing with us.

Greenalishi and arthurprecarious like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.