Metal Machine Music: Unappreciated or justly ignored?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greenoort, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It isn't feedback going on for an hour. I don't even know why I'm defending it, I don't even like it that much, there's just so many misconceptions around it.

Dudley Morris and mw1917 like this.
  2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Don't read my comment at a criticism. It's all part of the work. It does not feel like he thought about this idea for ten years or developed the ideas in it like those before him. He also recorded quite a short piece and then repeated it and folded it in. Doesn't sound like took too long. All part of the idea.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Ok, it's not exactly feedback going on for an hour. Let's say it's a collage of drones, perhaps.

squittolo and steelinYaThighs like this.
  4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Of course he didn't think about for 10 years, he's a rock and roller!

squittolo likes this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

People are so hung up about the 'statement' that its merits in the genre of noise music recording are often ignored. I've listened to it many times and consider it a groundbreaking, pioneering work although the whole thing is far too much to take in one sitting.

Lou was serious about it and took care to make it. The liner notes and photo layout of the album are obviously not meant to be taken seriously and that does confuse the matter somewhat. But Lou was a pop artist and this is a deliberate excursion into the art... just like Sister Ray said

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  6. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

I dig it, but then I'm that guy who'll stop and listen intently to a refrigerator that's making an interesting noise.

To me, Lou's intent is beside the point. MMM exists in the world and it doesn't care if you get it or play it or think about it.

7. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I've always viewed MMM as Lou's musical attempt at a Warhol film. "Like watching a dude sleep for 5 hours? Take a listen to this." Also I'd say it is both unappreciated and justifiable ignored.

squittolo and krisbee like this.
  8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You and me both.

9. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

[​IMG]
    Don't tell me you also enjoy Le Noise... another candidate to worst album ever

squittolo likes this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

LOL that is like comparing apples and submarines

Electric likes this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, I agree with you. If we wanted to bring Neil into this conversation, we should mention this:
    [​IMG]

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That still has actual sung melodies on it, haha

steelinYaThighs and Rne like this.
  13. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Well, I happen to think it's maybe in his top 10

squittolo, Dodoz, Electric and 4 others like this.
  14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I think Electronic Sound is much more musical than MMM.

Electric and vince like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

While I respect it... I'm not a big fan of it....
    But, while you're all here, what did you think of
    "The Stone: Issue Three"?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

squittolo likes this.
  16. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Never heard it. Any Top 40 hits I'd recognize? :)

recordman33 likes this.
  17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Count on Lou to provoke and challenge and insult and inspire, often in the same breath.
    It's full of contradictions, but Reed wouldn't have revisited it if it didn't have any meaning for him.
    Easy listening it's not, but give him credit for a big artistic F you.

18. nakostopoulos

nakostopoulos Forum Resident

Strangely, yesterday was the first time I've ever been able to get through the whole thing. Immediately after hearing about the DOJ's amicus brief suggesting that LGBT rights were not protected by the Civil Rights Act, something in my bitterness said "Metal Machine Music".

In another odd fashion, I think that, if played at an adequate volume, it can almost act as appropriately galvanizing ambient music to work by (ditto the latter drone-oriented half of "Junior Dad" off "Lulu")

Black Thumb likes this.
  19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You say that as if it's some kind of recommendation. One is a bunch of aimless irrelevant doodling on a Moog that no-one is interested in listening to, one is still provoking arguments 40 years on. Lou wins that one... to couch that in the sort of competitive language Beatles fanatics like to indulge in. Not even sure why you're comparing them, they're not remotely similar.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    stax o' wax likes this.
  20. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I actually like the short excerpt found on the Between Thought and Expression box set. But that's about as much as I can take.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Over-appreciated, surely.

It's an expensive joke by Reed, played upon his record company. I don't care what he said subsequently.

The excerpt on the box set is all you need.

It's interesting for anecdotal value in the Reed/RCA story. Beyond that...Emperor's new clothes.

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think it' s poo poo.

strummer101 likes this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Over the years, I was surprised how much more musical MMM had become. But then musicality isn't everything, anyway.

Not sure why we are comparing what Harrison did with MMM, though? Two different fish in two different barrels. Not even both fish, for that matter.

24. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

I love Lou Reed's music but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for any reason other than "novelty". I would much rather try to turn someone onto his music.

25. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

It would get no respect from anyone if it weren't Lou Reed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.