Metal Tweeters and Freaky Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Well, I've just finished listening to a few different speakers this past week as part of my search for the ultimate speaker under $2000. What makes me unhappy with my Monitor Audio Silver 8is is that I find them to be slightly harsh and hard to listen to. However, I am having a hard time finding a speaker in this price range that is as balanced, revealing, and absent of coloration as my Monitors. I listened to the Meadowlark Swift and the Kestrel. They do a marvelous disappearing act, but I found them to be slightly blurred, and they completely fell apart with complex music or at above average listening levels. After what I heard, I was left with the impression that the Meadowlarks are pretty bad considering what the reviews say. Also, the bass was miserable in the Swift and unimpressive in the Kestrel. Both speakers tended to sound boxy, despite their transparency. Next up were the Jean Marie Reynaud Arpeggione. These speakers are a strange bird. While lacking in "audiophile" definition and clarity, there was something about them that was tremendously engaging. They really turned me off when I played "Something" and Paul's bass lacked specifics and dynamics, instead sounding boomy and lacking character. The overall sound of these speakers reminded me of the sound of the system of a friend of mine. He has a '60s McIntosh tube preamp, a Dynaco tube power amp, and vintage EV monitors. His system is not amazingly accurate, but very beefy and warm. That's the sound of the JMR Arpeggione. Instruments other than the bass guitar sounded amazing, but the vocals all sounded muffled. There was nothing natural or airy about the vocal performances on any of the tracks I heard. Here is the strange part: on one of my test tracks, David Bowie's "Soul Love", I was all of the sudden completely drawn into the music. I experienced an emotional connection that I am not used to having. During my listening of this track, some people came into the room and I didn't even care that they were there, I was so moved by the music and overwhelmed almost to the point of tears. I can't forget this experience, despite the fact that these speakers did a lousy job of creating a realistic soundstage or creating depth or space in the music. I've heard that these speakers really open up after proper break-in, but I am skeptical. I listened to a speaker by Dali, which were disappointing and not worth consideration. And finally, I checked out Monitor Audio's new S8, which are considerably toned down and warmer than the 8i, but still have those metal tweeters and drivers that scare me to death. I'm not sure they image as well as the 8is either. These experiences have left me feeling like I want to keep my current speakers and find ways to warm them up. Are metal tweeters ALWAYS fatiguing, no matter what? Is that simply one of their downfalls? Would adding a tubes to the chain soften the sound of the metal drivers and tweeters? I have a tube power amp I could hook up, but I'm not sure what tubes would do to the sound having them just in the power amp and not in the pre. Any ideas or speaker recommendations???? Help!

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'm really surprised you found the Swift to be "boxy". I didn't hear that at all during my demo. Of course, there are countless variables with rooms and electronics.

I'm a big fan of Tannoy, both vintage and new.
    If you're budget goes between 1 and 2k, then by all means try and check out the Tannoy Saturn line. I love them, I dream of owning them someday. These speakers do go deep for their size too, no doubt about it. Very dynamic and clear, not a hint of high end edge. Tube friendly, easy to drive but can handle powerful SS gear too (within reason).
    Here's a review by one of our very own forum members.
    http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2001/0402.html
    The price in the US is around $1,500
    Here's the Tannoy site.
    www.tannoy.com
    They also have a new line called Eyris or something like that. I'm blanking on it. Rave reviews in the UK.

It seems to me that you enjoy a big "forward" sound without edge on top? Have you heard anything from Totem? Great speakers, huge sound. I liked them but they're not my cup of tea in the long run.

Dan C

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I've heard a story about someone with metal tweeters who inserted a resistor to reduce the brightness.

Sorry, that won't help you at all, but I thought I'd mention it.

Is there a used stereo place around there? They may have good deals on vintage stuff...

Have you heard Monitor Audio golds? I know of a pair for sale but I have not heard them. I wonder if they'd sound better than the silvers?

Keep searching until you find the right sound! Good luck!

4. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Interesting article. It's funny, I never really heard that much about tannoy until I started hanging around in this forum. I wish I knew where I could go check them out in this area.

5. audio

I've heard the new Tannoys. They are very nice. They sound extremely natural and airy. What bothers me about them, however, is that they seem to be very lean in midrange. I've not heard Totems, but because of their low efficiency, they are not an option for me.

6. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Busted! I've been found out!

The Saturn and Revolution ranges are being replaced by the Sensys range, which I've yet to hear.

Prix, just remember that, no matter how good a speaker may be, it can only sound as good as what is fed into it. If you're listening to these speakers at a dealers on the end of some fancy amps and CD players, they won't sound as good on the end of your Denon 1803.

7. audio

Yeah thanks, but I wasn't born yesterday;)and I'd rather listen to a portable Realistic 8 track player than a Denon 1803. I make sure the setups are as similar as possible to what I have before I listen. What do you think of the Jean Marie Reynaud speakers?

8. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I've never heard them, as there is no distributor for them in New Zealand.

And aplogies, it was someone else on the forum who was buying an 1803. My mixup.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Their dealer penetration is pretty lousy in the US. For some reason they're highly regarded in most places of the world but can't seem to penetrate the North American market very well.

I found a dealer in Ft. Collins, Colorado, about 3 hours from here. I bought my Tannoys there and was able to hear the other models. It was worth the drive. :)

Dan C

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh no! Will the Sensys have the "dual concentric" design???:eek:
    If they only keep that technology in the high end speakers I might never own one.:sigh:

Dan C

11. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

You should look at Tannoy's site. I see there's a couple in that line that are using concentrics. They're all using a super tweeter (Wideband Technology).

www.tannoy.com

I've been using Tannoy Reveal monitors. Love them. But I've been desiring concentrics too. I've been debating for quite awhile between vintage or new. Just took the plunge and bought a used pair of the Definition D500 for about the same price as brand new Saturn S8 (similiar specs but the D500 have substantially better cabinets: DMT, trapazoidal shape, real wood veneer). I should have them in a week or so. Unfortunately the Definition line is being discontinued. I guess the D500 & D700 are still available but will soon be gone. The Definitions is still on their website if you want to see how great they look.

The reason I decided against vintage is just the hassle of finding drivers/xovers in great shape (seem to be going up in value quickly) and getting someone to make suitable cabs (I'm no carpenter).

Another option for concentrics is their Pro line, 6" to 15". And from what I've read they're very good. Its just I think they're butt ugly.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Hmm. The Sensys looks promising, but I notice in the specs that they don't have quite the superior sensitivity of the old Saturn line.

Congrats on your Definition purchase. They're beautiful speakers and you got a killer deal on them. Let us know how they sound.

Hopefully I can score something like that someday. :thumbsup:

BTW, here's another web site with prices and order forms:
    http://www.tannoy-reseller.com/

Dan C

13. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm not certain how much the tweeter material contributes to the sound...any well made driver will sound good. BUT, as a rule, I find that paper cone tweeters cannot extend high enough, and tend to sound slow and stuffy. My two pairs of Grafyx speakers use a Philips mylar dome tweeter...a little bit hard in the lower treble but not very much. The soft dome tweeters I've heard don't have that hardness. I would think metal tweeters would resonate just a little, but having never heard one in person, I can't say. A badly designed metal-domed tweeter could sound worse than a paper cone tweeter. And so much has to do with the crossover, too...if a driver or the crossover components aren't exactly to spec, things could sound strange. What you hear out of a speaker is dependent on so many different situations (perfect crossover, driver impedances exactly the same in each driver, cabinet mounting, etc.) it's too difficult to rule out *only* the metal driver being the culprit in the part of the sound you don't like out of your speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.