Metallica 2015 Remasters of Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The new ones have a hype sticker on the front that says "Obey Your Remaster" at the top. Without that sticker, there'd be nothing to indicate which LP is which!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Konez

Konez Active Member

I was about to say, hook me up with that $5 records!!

So it says obey your remaster? Like for all of them? Assuming this is just for MoP.

The Hud and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just for MOP

4. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Walmart stores have them in the $5.00 CD bin with the cardboard covers.

dennis1077 likes this.
  5. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Oh yeah, sorry, that's just for MOP. For the previous two, I think the hype sticker says something like "Remastered for the first time!"

Edit: here's the remastered RTL LP on Discogs with the hype sticker.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    The Hud and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Konez

Konez Active Member

Cool thanks guys!

7. Konez

Konez Active Member

Also, the other two box sets. I cant find if the live stuff is either boot quality or soundboard, how do they sound? I see them at my local shop and I'm thinking of picking them up.

8. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

The entire boxed sets are up on iTunes. Just listen to the samples.

9. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, I was majorly bummed when the KEA track list came out and none of the earlier demos were on it. Because I specifically remembered Lars saying that NLTL and other early demos would be on the upcoming deluxe set. It wasn't until after KEA was announced that I found out he meant an actual NLTL deluxe set and they had abandoned it. KEA had two demos and those were just the b-sides without the dubbed in crowd noise. The rough mixes are just the album mixes. I find it the weakest set by far.

I'm guessing this is the real reason the Stone '83 video wasn't on the KEA set. I'll bet it was slated for the NLTL set. Hopefully that comes about because it was the one I was most looking forward to. Maybe it'll turn out to be a good thing it was delayed (as long as it does come out). The first two sets were smashed to hell in mastering, but they've pulled back a good bit on MoP (still a lot of compression, but without the major limiting). So hopefully by the time a NLTL set happens, they'll be doing much better masterings.

Soundslave likes this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

It always amazes me when people would rather have a lot of nothing, instead of a little something.

13. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

What leverage does Ron McGovney have to keep Metallica from releasing anything they want to even if he played on it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

You have no control over potential damages in the case of a lawsuit. They should pay whatever he wants within reason of course and get this done, if he's looking for some ludicrous 7 digit payout then yeah keep it on the shelf.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  15. The Hud

There was a interview with Ron that I believe a forum member posted here after the Kill Em All box came out. I don't remember everything about it, but Metallica had sent him a free KEA box, and he just seemed really bitter that he wasn't more represented in it (or maybe he was talking about the No Life Til Leather Box). Either way, I could see that he could make things difficult if he wanted to.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Deuce66 like this.
  16. SizzleVonSizzleton

I still don't understand what legal right McGovney would have for songs that he had no part in writing. I see that some of these pre-No Life Til Leather demos were recorded in his garage but I find it hard to believe he has any rights in this case.

Now, if you told me Dave Mustaine was holding things up I could understand that a bit more both because Dave wrote some of those songs and Dave is fairly loony tunes.

How? Does anyone believe Ron McGovney has any rights to Metallica in 2017?

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. The Hud

I am no legal expert, but if he played on a recording, why wouldn't he get any money on a official release?

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  18. SizzleVonSizzleton

You could be right. I just feel like Metallica, who have had heavyweight management since around Ride the Lightning, would have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's of their back catalogue, even the 'bootleg' stuff pre-KEA. Especially since they actually own their back catalogue now.

On the mercenary side of it, I don't know what Ron McGovney has done since leaving the band but I'd bet he couldn't afford the legal fees that Metallica could in a protracted disagreement.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. The Hud

I don't know if we will ever know what the real reason is. Metallica's lawyers could easily crush him like a bug, but I am guessing they wouldn't want to do that to him. They did invite him to the anniversary shows, after all. Hopefully we will get the No Life Til Leather Box someday. I bet it would be awesome.

20. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Thanks to SuperDeluxeEdition for this information: Both Ride the Lightning and Kill Em All deluxe box sets are each selling for a little over $100.00 shipped to the US from amazon France.

Kill Em All - https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01BUX7YOU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&psc=1

Ride The Lightning - https://www.amazon.fr/Ride-Lightnin...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J0EJT8BDRDW46W53TTQS

I wish I could get them, but I spent all my money already, unfortunately. Excellent chance to buy them at an excellent price. Especially those on the fence about these two when they got the MOP deluxe set which I think was received very positively. Thanks again superdeluxeedition!

This is the original web page with the info (there is also a deal on the Hysteria CD+DVDs box set)

This Week’s Box Set and Reissue Deals | superdeluxeedition

iloveguitars and superstar19 like this.
  21. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Where the hell are the single disc or three disc remasters of anything other than Master of Puppets? Amazon labels the 2016 digipacks as remastered due to itunes songs on the same page being the remasters, but all you get sent is the digipack with the old disc in it.

I don't want these huge boxsets. Most of the material is garbage. Ride the Lighting concerts are complete crap. The only even half listenable one is the second disc, which is pretty decent. Most of this stuff is completely redundant trash. All I want is a single disc remaster for the love of god.

22. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

You know what, Death--the band--actually solved this problem by going lighter on the treble and using a lower DR number into the 6s and 7s to get more bass. They remixed a few of their albums too. I've honestly heard very few remixes and remasters that sound so good at such a low range. But the treble is kept in check quite a bit. Of course they were not early 80s CDs either.

I think honestly people pay too much attention to brickwalls when it is the EQ and mixing process that is far more important. If you don't burn people's ears with treble even a DR7 recording can sound fantastic for metal.

ALSO, for the record the remasters sound better to my ears. Less brittle treble in your face, though the treble is still strong. I don't see how anyone could actually prefer the old discs. They didn't change that much, but it all sounds way more balanced to my ears.

They really do need a remix though. That I agree 100%.

23. The Hud

I have seen them at Walmart and Best Buy.

24. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Well, for Kill I think I actually like the original just as much. Seems to have a touch more bass. For Ride I think I like the remaster more. Doesn't seem like too much difference.

I guess I will have to check out the shops then.

So what do people think on the sound of these remasters compared to the original 80s discs?

25. The Hud

Master Of Puppets is the only one that got a 3 CD set, the others were just the single CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.