Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

Interested to hear what people think of the one song released. According to Pitchfork: "Pre-orders, which are available on Metallica’s website, include an instant download of “Disposable Heroes (Remastered).”

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wow, what a box

Pouchkine and Clanceman like this.
  3. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Do you mean the "Back To The Front" book, or is this a different book here that you can order separately?

4. Nice, but I'm not thrilled about how they spread the material among the formats. What's the deal with that?

5. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood Thread Starter

Probably a good idea to order through Metclub. Don't they give some surprises in random orders like autograph some sets and give guitar strings and picks?

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I meant I was hoping we'd find out they had a pro-shot show we didn't know about.

Totally missed seeing the Money rough mix in the track list. I'm very glad it's there.

I wonder why "Green Hell" included, though. Or are his notes wrong since he claims they didn't do Money?

We more or less wanted to redo Ride the Lightning, just a lot better," Rasmussen says. "I've always thought Metallica raised the bar every time they went in the studio. They challenged their own technical ability all the time, which is the only way you can get better."

The first songs Metallica recorded for Master of Puppets never made it onto vinyl or any other medium. Sessions for the album began on September 3rd, 1985, and according to Rasmussen's recording notes, the band intended to tackle a handful of cover songs as possible B-sides, just to loosen up. "We did [the Misfits'] 'Green Hell' and [Diamond Head's] 'The Prince,'" he says, looking at his notes. "We were also supposed to be doing something called 'Money' – I don't know which 'Money' song it is – but we did 'Green Hell' instead."

Metallica's 'Master of Puppets' at 30: 'We Were Just Kids'

7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Same here. It especially bugs me that there is content only on vinyl or cassette and downloads code is for MP3.

8. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

Is anyone familiar with the quality of the recording of the Aragon Ballroom show? I was lucky enough to be at that show and will pickup up the Deluxe Box just to have it on vinyl as long as it doesn't sound absolutely terrible.

Vinyl_Blues and John Porcellino like this.
  9. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Despite the price, this looks like a great value for the money considering they have thrown so much content into the box. Unlike many big, comprehensive box sets of albums I like (and have way too many variations of already), I doubt I'll wait months until the price dips significantly like I did for U2's Joshua Tree vinyl box. There's just too much here that I want to check out asap.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

What an impressive set! The first two were awesome but this one's gonna slay with all of these unreleased soundboard recordings and unreleased mixes and tracks!

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Very surprised they included that.

Clanceman likes this.
  12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

There's a small book as part of a bunch of the different versions that can be ordered separately, but it's not Back To The Front. It looks to be like 40 pages, if that.

For anyone who's thought about getting BTTF, it's an absolutely awesome piece of history.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Clanceman likes this.
  13. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

As it posted in the other thread, it looks promising! Just saw that they also finally plan to release a 3CD version with some of the rough mixes and a live show -great to offer more options. Simple 1CD version without bonus content were a disappointment with the first batch of remasters.

Maurice, Matthew Tate and sassi like this.
  14. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Looks like an excellent box set. I don't wanna sound negative, but I'll be saving my money for the Justice box set for next year (hopefully), but I hope it's full tons of extra material like this one! Very interested in the concerts though, I'll be following this thread.

SecondHandNews likes this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I was already waiting for some or any new concerning the release and now we have it. I think this is the way to do boxsets of each album.
    Seems like really impressive set indeed, Im gonna get this one. It shall sit next to KEM and RTL-boxsets in my shelf, close to the 9 Led Zeppelin SuperDeluxe-boxsets that have similar casing*.
    Will be interesting to follow later what they have in offer for us in the AJFA-boxset.

EDIT (apologies for slight off-topic):
    *(Why, oh why Led Zeppelin - The Complete BBC Sessions boxset could not have similar casing as to what the other super-deluxes were? Looks weird to have all the 9 sets lined and then the BBC-set in differing casing.)

Matthew Tate and sassi like this.
  16. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

I can't speak for the vinyl. But the 2015 CD remasters for KEA and RTL are heavily brickwalled.

Vinyl_Blues and Pinknik like this.
  17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

They didnt play orion live? That kind of sucks.

The best set for content and packaging compared to the first two.

I was able to get the ride the lightning deluxe for 120$ shipped.

Maybe i'll wait for a similar deal here.... we'll see. Definitely getting it though.

20. krazy_olie

krazy_olie Active Member

The youtube track sounds very smilar to the version that I was about to say is currently available on metstore but has now been replaced by pre-orders. I believe that was te Master for iTunes version.

That's not a bad thing as it's excellent but I'm wondering if it could even actually be the same thing.

(a bit of ABing and I'm fairly sure it's not, youtube relevels volumes I think so can't tell too much from that, if anything it as a little less punch and is brighter)

21. Use_Your_Koala

The quantity of studio outtakes/demos/mixes really makes me consider buying the super deluxe set, and I'm not even that big of a Metallica fan! But I've always been very fond of Master of Puppets.

Fingers crossed for a better remastering work...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Forget it... they used the Brickwall-preset again.

nosliw and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  23. Use_Your_Koala

Did you check the instant downloads you get by preordering or Youtube rips?

:shake: Bummer...

24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I only wish there was an ALL vinyl Format box cut by Bellman or Grundam.As far as the music goes I am completely for this even though it`s probably not an audiophile`s dream.Hopefully they`ll put together something special for Black Friday Record Store Day also.But it looks like I need the super deluxe as well as the triple cd edition.I`m keeping my boots too.Cliffs last show isn`t great recording quality but who the heck is going to keep playing a tape?I don`t even own a tape deck but that the show is great!I like how they build the album from the ground up from riff tapes to various jams and demos up into rough mixes and then the tour.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Looks like a thrilling boxed set but the odd formats and high price means that I'll have to sit this one out: to be fair, the three-CD set looks like a good consolation prize if you can't take the full journey.