Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Same exact situation here. I purchased the remastered vinyl for the first two only. Now that I am about to pre-order the MoP Box, the OCD has kicked in and my collection simply cannot exist without the first two. So, they are on order :)

Clanceman, BurtThomasWard and sassi like this.
  2. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

If this ever happens, I'd gladly purchase the deluxe edition with the crappy Betamax whatever outdated tech junk just out of principle that we FINALLY have the bass present.

THAT being said, I guarantee you I'd still go back to the original just because it's the version I grew up with.

Todd W. likes this.
  3. sublime139

sublime139 Forum Resident

It looks like the reason they waited was so it could be called a ''30th anniversary'' box set. This is incredible.. puts the (great) KEA and RTL box sets to shame. 10 CDs!!! 4 soundboards, 2 CD's filled to the brim with demos/rough versions/works in progress and 1 CD of rough mixes. Each of the previous box sets only included 1 disc of studio tracks

I count 50 studio tracks (not including the album itself). I could not be more excited for this.. and the best part is they're legit outtakes/demos/sketches, not just 8 slightly different mixes like the LZ reissues. I love hearing legitimate alternate versions and demos, but unlike most bands of their stature their is only a small amount of demos/outtakes etc. that have ever seen the light of day. All I've ever seen unofficially available from this era is a single rough sounding demo tape). They have really pulled out all the stops for this. Oh and 4 live shows to boot (ha).. Cheers Metallica!

I just hope we won't have to wait until 2019 (my hopes are not very high) for the 'Justice' set as they seem to have jumped on the anniversary bandwagon (I'm looking at you Doors!) now. I do have some hope they will remix 'Justice' as I'm sure they've heard/read it thousands of times. The inclusion of Jason Newstead's auditions in this set is encouraging in that respect.. maybe they'll show him some more love by going through with the remix.

Wow that was a long post. Wake me up when October ends.

Dorian75, sassi, Matthew Tate and 4 others like this.
  4. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

This is truly a Deluxe Edition and a box set worthy of its name. I imagine that by now people have gotten used to not needing/wanting everything in a box set, but there is still backlash at these reissues. For example I wouldn't be using the cassette or the record, may hear the interviews once, but I say it's a fine addition to the box set and a fair price in my opinion. The only thing that could make a box set worse is the sound quality, hopefully the remasters are an improvement.

500Homeruns likes this.
  5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Link? I can't seem to find it on there...

6. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'm curious about the cassette of Cliff's last show. Is this supposed to be the audience recording that all the boots of this show come from, or is it a new source. The note says one track is from Lars vault, but doesn't say which track.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I wish Cliff's last show was on CD instead of cassette. I really don't want to have to connect my tape player to hear it, but I guess I will.

8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I like that it's on tape, kind of a throwback to how people traded shows back then. I bought the No Life Til Leather tape that came out on RSD, but I buy a lot of tapes so I'm an aging hipster I suppose.

johnny q likes this.
  9. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

The 30th anniversary was last year. In fact, this was apparently all ready to go for late last year (along with the "Back to the Front" book) until the new album took precedence.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

iTunes have the new set up for preorder, £99.99 in the UK with the album version of Dispoable Heroes available now. (Also on Apple Music and I suspect on Spotify etc.). No digital booklet etc with the iTunes version, although the book being available separately will help for those thus inclined. Which leaves the DVD content as SDE box exclusive.

Going off DH I'm quietly optimistic about the remastering of the album itself. Time will tell.

11. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Fingers crossed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Pre ordered. I have the Rhino set so I would be surprised if this new one sounds better. However this is my favorite album so the extras make it a no brainer

13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Does the vinyl have a separate mastering credit, is that why you're asserting the mastering isn't the same? Seems incongruous they would not pay for a 2LP set for MOP but would pay for two separate masterings which is rarely done with major label releases.

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just listened to the DH sample on iTunes. Unfortunately, it doesn't contain any vocal sections.

Also, unfortunately, I think it sounds pretty bad. It seems less squashed than the last two, but I really dislike the EQ. It sounds like a smiley face job. The mids are scooped out. The guitar sounds distant and the drums lose impact. Went back and checked my original Elektra CD and yup, sounds good. Could use less upper-mids and a little more bottom, but much more natural balance than this new one. I'm curious to hear how this new EQ will affect the vocals.

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

izombie73 likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I believe Chris Bellman mastered the vinyl and not the CD, I don't believe he is credited for the CD. When A/B'ing the two, it's clearly not the same master, not in the least.

Def Leppard did the same thing with the Hysteria set, the CD is squashed and the vinyl isn't.

Dmann201 likes this.
  17. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

This type of thing is so stupid.

Why give us something on a format that is of subpar quality?

Cater to the hipster idiots that think this is "so cool."

I can't believe they'd not at least include everything on CD's.

Really annoying.

18. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Not a huge fan but grew up with this stuff. Never liked the 80's sound.
    Remix would have been great.

Or "Orion" sessions! Hell that may be in there, quite a long tracklist.

19. FourWalledWorld

There is a digital download included of it.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  20. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

i would buy a remaster of Justice, as the one i have had for 20+ years is good musically, but the bass is not there....?

all the other releases sound fine to me. Justice needs a mix with the bass upped just a few notches higher

21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

MP3, though. For the price, they really should include hi-res downloads. It rubs me the wrong way that they would sell the hi-res downloads but not include them for those who shelled out for the physical set. That leaves those who bought the set with inferior fidelity unless they shell out another premium for the hi-res download. I know other artists do this, too, but it's pretty uncool.

500Homeruns and Use_Your_Koala like this.
  22. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Me as three. I was never gonna buy another Metlic product in all eternity, etc. I almost caved when the first two boxes came out but luckily I had other fish to fry financially. Now it looks like I'm gonna have to get all three :shake:

johnny q likes this.
  23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

All these baws complaining and anticipating DR levels in this box set are totally missing the point - this is being put out for longtime lovers of this album because of its content - not its sound quality.

If you want to talk technicalities, then yeah, choosing an audience source cassette for Cliff's last show is a good example, because it's very strange that they would not just put out a soundboard of that, considering that they're including several other soundboard gigs!

Maybe their tape deck was broke that night, because it's kinda bizarre that Lars ended up with the 2 audience sources in his vault.

johnny q and steveharris like this.
  24. FourWalledWorld

I don't disagree for the remainder of the material in the set. However, given the cassette show is an audience recording, I don't think it matters much.

rnranimal likes this.
  25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I used to trade tapes with a couple people in high school.Some years few years later I found a couple Puppets demo cds at a flea market and I loved all of that stuff!I`ll always find small things to pick on like,formats(Metallica vinyl is less squashed than digital),missing shows,and very importantly mastering,but as far as the content goes,this box is exactly the kind of thing I`ve been hoping they would put together!I especially like that there are more demos and works in progress.Wow imagine if this came out in 1988!:D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017