Metallica Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

The new Metallica vinyl reissues were released yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone had picked any of them up? And if so, what do they sound like. I was considering buying Master of Puppets, but if it's the same as the last vinyl reissue, which most weren't pleased with, I might think twice.

2. KRumpledTUSK

KRumpledTUSK New Member

I am curious about these as well. My brother bought the 2008 reissue of Kill "em All and it sounds like complete ****. Seriously worthless. I hope they've fixed them.

john kelly likes this.
  3. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the ones that were released this year are exactly the same as the WB releases from 2008, just relabeled for the band's new Blackened label.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Anyone hear the new LP pressing of Death Magnetic? Just curious if it offers an improvement over the CD version?

Clanceman likes this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

So I guess this thread will get going again in about 6 years when someone discovers it and become a real barnburner.

Thankfully I'm a patient guy.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I think everyone is scared to buy them...I saw them at the record store this week but kept walking by them as I just cant trust their vinyl output based on the past issues.

Daddydave likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

That's how I feel as well LOL, I keep passing the display and I'm so tempted to grab Death Magnetic, but if it's no improvement over the CD, I won't bother. I wish that they had made a special master for the LP pressing, I really enjoy that album.

4stringking73 and James Bennett like this.
  9. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Someone messaged the manufacturer, and they confirmed they're the 2008 pressings, re-pressed under the Blackened Label.

I have no link to back this up, but it's legit...you'll just have to trust me.

The 2008 pressings sound great, and I find it comical people are saying they sound like $hit (I have them all - 33RPM single disk versions)

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Ok, VinylFan. I'm going to try and NOT be a snob here, and I'm definitely NOT a Metallica Authority. BUT the 5 disc vinyl set, cut at 45 rpm, that was released around 3 years ago.....??????? Did that go right past you?????? :yikes:
    That issue is not perfect, but it does offer a Significant upgrade in sound quality compared to the cd, which both of I have. (?) :wtf:
    In another words, get that Box, you can usually find it for a little less than $100, but at least you can listen to that version.
    The new ones are exactly like the older issues. Post #3 is spot on!:nauga:
    the beave

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

No worries, no offence taken. Actually I got back into vinyl about 2 years ago, and there were a lot of cool releases that I completely missed out on. Just wasn't on my radar at all. It's funny because I remember seeing all of those Metallica boxsets in HMV years ago, they had them all and I paid no mind. I saw the covers, but never picked one up to look at them.

I remember having the guitar hero version of those songs and found that to be a great improvement over the standard release.

I thank you for bringing this up because I may have to seek out that 5 disc vinyl set, I like the album that much.

12. Adam Bosman

The 5 disk Death Magnetic sounds OK, and is the best version of the official releases. I still say go download the Guitar Hero version. It sounds incredible...what this album SHOULD have been. I have the 2 disk vinyl collecting dust...no sense listening to it on compressed/bricked vinyl when the Guitar Hero stuff is out there.

Yes: i'm actually suggesting you download .mp3 from a video game over a 5 disk vinyl box set. That's how bad the loudness war has gotten.

Edit for Clarification: Death Magnetic was released as a special release for Guitar Hero (the 'playable' tracks w/ fake instruments). The master is completely different than the official release(s). Little to no compressions/bricking. Someone way back then ripped those files and posted them all over the internet, so w/ some searching you can find them.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  13. Ronnie Potchie

Ronnie Potchie Forum Resident

Death Magnetic is one of reasons why I re-discovered vinyl.
    How could anyone think a CD that loud and compressed would sound good ?
    The snare drum hits are a dead giveaway,even for audio novice like myself.
    Happy with the original Elektra/Asylum CDs pre-1995.

14. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

Quick bump. If these are the same as the 2008 WB reissues (I've read reports of better SQ in Amazon reviews, but obviously that's not definitive).

I'd like some consensus on what the best versions are, and what to avoid. I'm personally interested in era from Ride the Lightning to Black Album. Some say the 2008 Warner's are great, some say they're crap. Some say their original 80's Elektra's sound flat compared to the CD. What's going on here?

Sean007 likes this.
  15. Adam Bosman

I have all of the 2008 vinyls, and think they're all significantly better than the original CD's. Just my opinion.

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

I returned DM after 2 exchanges. Avoid these...simply put. The pressing quality is not even close to the 2008 or 2010 editions. The vinyl had thumb prints and marks, scratches all over it, on both copies I tried.

The sound of DM on vinyl is complete crap, I prefer the CD.

17. Adam Bosman

I don't think any edition of DM is going to sound good, other than the Guitar Hero master.

4stringking73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  18. Vinyl Fan 1973

True. I will say this, the original CD I bought on the day of release never gave me a headache, and the vinyl, after just one song was hurting my head. I could not believe how un-listenable it was. I thank HMV for allowing me to pick something else so I didn't have to take a chance on getting burned a 3rd time. Very cool.

19. Adam Bosman

This all happened before I was aware of the loudness wars. I remember downloading DM tracks from iTunes in the week leading up to the release (they did a track a day, or week...something like that). I couldn't understand what was wrong w/ my iPhone and/or the file. I was convinced it was an unmastered version or demo or something. Huge let down when the record came out, and I discovered the whole thing was that way.

I get pretty hot-headed over this issue now. This loudness garbage is really getting old, and I've stopped buying a lot of stuff that I used to spend a fortune on. I'm more upset that there's a lot of music out there that's just not worth pursuing because it hurts to listen to after one or two songs.

20. JustinBond

So when you say you have all of the 2008's, does that mean you purchased the single LP versions and the 2xLP 45RMP versions?

21. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

The Black album vinyl sounds great. Very dynamic.

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Agreed. I always thought the original CD I have sounds pretty damn good, but it's more fun spinning the vinyl. The double reissue from 2010 sounds awesome, and it's a EU press.

23. Adam Bosman

Good question. No. I only have the 33RPM versions...none of the box sets. I felt the extra money wasn't worth it (esp w/ my set up) and stand by that decision. The 45RPM boxes seemed like overkill for everyone but the HARD CORE fans/audiophiles.

relaxdrax and JustinBond like this.
  24. JustinBond

Thanks for answering that.

So this is why I'm curious about which issues to avoid. You say the 2008's sound "better than the CD's". The new reissues have been (allegedly) confirmed to be a re-press of the 2008's, which would dictate that the new reissues also sound good. I've also heard some vinyl issues sound flat and terrible, but I'm foggy as to which ones as I can't remember where I heard that.

25. JustinBond

Out of prosperity, which release do you have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.