Metallica Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Ah ok, I have that one too as well as a 1989 Vertigo. I thought you had a Megaforce as well.

Deuce66 likes this.
  2. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

We will see how the black album box set will sound when it comes out. Just got my hands on a NM UK Vertigo copy of 'Metallica'. Holy cow it sounds amazing. I will have to do a direct comparison to the 45 RPM boxset I have but my god this Vertigo pressing is everything it is hyped up to be. If you can get one, very very highly recommend it. It's a perfect mastering of the album on a perfect pressing. Match made in heaven.

Also, the LPs are surprisingly heavy for a 1991 pressing. So, chances are that most of these pressings are still in decent condition, unlike a lot of the mid-80's OPs. My OP of Peace Sells is paper thin and visually looks nice but has surface noise all throughout during the quiet parts.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Hi all, I am the proud owner of a Rhino Box Set too. Incredible sound as everyone has reported. I was, however, listening to AJFA last night and noticed a lot of surface noise crackle on sides 3 and 4 even after cleaning the LP on my Project VCS vacuum cleaner. Anyone else experiencing surface noise on any of these LPs?

Jam757 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Congrats! Yes, My AJFA has some noise, sounds almost like non-fill but visually the vinyl is perfect. It’s too bad, but thankfully there aren’t too many quiet parts and gets drowned out by the music. Other than that it’s a flawless set.

Where did you find your copy and what number do you have?

Jam757 likes this.
  5. Dr. Metal MD

Just did an A/B comparison of my UK Vertigo black album vs 45 RPM pressing (at least of the first couple minutes of Enter Sandman). Both sound amazing. I think the OP UK pressing sounds smoother, more dynamic, warmer and has more defined bass. You can literally hear every time Jason plucks a bass string almost. Soundstage is identical I think. Hetfield's vocals may sound a tad more separated from the rest of the mix on the 45 RPM set. The 45 RPM kicks you right in the nuts. It's not brickwalled loudness either, it's just a more aggressive sound I think. The bass is less defined by still as loud in the mix. Both have their strengths. Both are amazing and among my best sounding vinyl in my collection.

6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I guess I got lucky as my set was pretty quiet throughout (or at least that’s how I remember it). I did have 3-4 pesky edge warps and had to run some through the vinyl flat but great sounding set. I listened to the Garage Days material from the Garage Inc. 45rpm set and I cannot say it definitely beats the Rhino version but they both sound fantastic.

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The Black Album was so well recorded it sounds great in almost any format. I’d love to hear the original vinyl but have to settle on the 45rpm which is indeed fantastic. Do you own the DVD-Audio? The 5.1 has an over extenuating bass that damn near knocks picture frames right off the wall. I can’t play it often as you could probably hear it half a mile away! It’s a fantastic and fun 5.1 with some great action in the rear channels and Kirk’s solos are shredding. I count around 6-7 incredible songs on the album but for some reason feel like I’m constantly defending it.

8. Dr. Metal MD

Probably because a lot of the songs got overplayed and it marked the end of what Metallica was for many people, unfortunately. I have a digital copy of that DVD-Audio but not the actual DVD. I'll have to take a listen to it again at some point.

Jam757 likes this.
  9. Dr. Metal MD

Just won an EX+ condition Megaforce OP of KEA. Only some soft surface noise during quiet parts and no original inner sleeve but the vinyl is in great condition. I compared this to the Elektra late 80's pressing, the MFN DMM 45 RPM 2LP pressing, and the recent remaster that came in the deluxe boxset. All pressings sounded good to great with slight differences. I also used to have teh 45 RPM Warner Bros reissue but sold it due to how bad it sounded. The Megaforce definitely has the warmest sound and Cliff's bass is more clear in the mix than I've ever heard it as well as Lars' snare. Really a remarkable pressing in terms of Cliff's bass. The recent box set reissue sounds amazing as well. It sounds more aggressive with less warmth and more in-your-face mids. Same thing with the 45 RPM MFN DMM pressing. All great, but different. Get a Megaforce if your budget can afford it. I'd love to get one of the ones still in shrink wrap but those are super expensive...$$$$$.

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

I wish you could compare it to the Canadian Banzai pressing or the German Vertigo 1989 pressing, I have both and I think the bass sounds incredible.

11. Dr. Metal MD

Me too! I never see either of those pressings for sale. Must be that good?

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

The Banzai sounds great and uses the MF stampers I believe. The 1989 Vertigo is very good as well, but my favorite now is the Rhino 2LP set.

Dorian75 likes this.
  13. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Havent read all of the thread but can anyone please comment on the box set I had but sold about 7 years ago - it was a 45 RPM Black Album box set (was definitely a 4LP set, maybe even 33 RPM). The problem with the pressing was it had some terrible sibilance - the drums, the vocals. I didnt bother back them finding out what was wrong with it but I have always wondered what is that magical 4LP Black Album people are talking about? Could it have been the same box set? This must of have been something else, maybe some EU pressing besides the appraised US pressing?

14. Dr. Metal MD

Are you talking about the Warner 45 RPM 2008 half-speed mastered version? I had that set and I never got it to sound good on my setup so I sold it. Or, are you talking about the 2004 box set that goes for so much money?

If it uses the same stampers as the Megaforce, I'll have to keep my eyes out for one!

I have the US Warner 4xLP 45 RPM as well as the UK Vertigo 'swirl' original pressing. Both of these, I think, are the 'gold standard' vinyl pressings. They are slightly different from each other, but you can't go wrong with either, IMO. If you had trouble with sibilance, it could have been a bad pressing or an issue with your alignment/setup. If you want an amazing sounding pressing, find a NM version of the UK Vertigo pressing. Make sure the label has the 'swirl' on it. They can be found for far cheaper prices than the US original right now. I would try to get both the UK Vertigo and the 4xLP 45 pressings.

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Sorry, I was talking about the limited boxset from Rhino 2004, that goes for a lot of money. They are double LPs but at 33rpm. They sound incredible and it’s my new fave for these albums.

Dr. Metal MD and Dorian75 like this.
  16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've had the '89 Vertigo, and I have the Rhino and MF KEA.

The Vertigo is the "value champ" as I like to call it. So close to the best of the bunch, but it's a little quiet. You need to crank it a bit more than most albums. But it sounds glorious and is comparatively cheap to get in NM condition, versus the Rhino or MF.

My MF is a bit noisy but it's very, very good. If I didn't have the Rhino, it'd be my favorite.

And I like the 2016 reissue quite a bit, despite the distortion in a couple quick parts. But for what it is, it's a heck of a bargain.

Dorian75 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

The 2016 is definitely one hell of a bargain considering what excellent condition originals go for today. A damn shame about the distortion in Hit The Lights. It’s so close to the 1989 Vertigo it’s scary. Incredible bass on the 2016.

I don’t mind the low volume of the 1989 Vertigo as it reminds me of the Banzai, as that one is cut a tad low as well, but incredible sounding.

Dorian75 likes this.
  18. Truncheon1

Truncheon1 Active Member

Be gentle, i'm new here.

And feel free to direct me to more appropriate thread.

I just picked up the 'Rhino' box set from 2004. I have read some posts about the quality of the pressings and so far cannot fault the sound.

However, does anyone else think some of the finer details of the set are lacking? I know the response (which is probably justified), will be about the mastering and pressing quality (GM/RJ and it being done at Sterling), but there are deficiencies in the presentation for such a set. Specifically the quality of the print on the jackets/covers. I have found them to be faded/washed out/ poor contrast making the photos almost black, pixelated and even serious maroon 'bleed' from the spine of MOP onto the front cover.

Got this set still sealed (No. 2880/5000)

Love to know anyone else thoughts.

Still going through each (only done KEA/RTL) But importantly so far i think these pressings **** all over my other editions .

'Rhino' KEA so much better than my 1987 MFN 7 DM 2 x 45 rpm.

'Rhino' RTL wins over:
    1. 1987 MFN 27 DM 2 × 45 RPM
    2. 2010 WB424636-1 2 x 45 rpm blue vinyl
    3. 1986 WEA ‎– 60396-1 (Australia)

Paully and Deuce66 like this.
  19. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Honestly there isn't much to the set outside of the vinyl itself - and I've had two boxes and they are NOT pressed perfectly. I was able to cobble together the best versions of a whole set that I could, but like my RTL disc 1 is still a bit noisy. It's so good, I don't mind - but still a little frustrating.

That said, my outer jackets have no fade or anything on them. Maybe it was a fluke on yours, I'm not sure? Sucks, but at least you did get some amazing wax within :)

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Welcome to the forum. I have the box as well and agree with you. The quality in terms of the scans of the covers are lacking. I was slightly disappointed when looking through the LPs for the first time but all that faded away once I began playing them. Also, I have great original versions for all the albums so I’ve got the high quality artwork that way. Thankfully my set does not suffer from what others have claimed to be poorly produced vinyl.

I’m definitely happy to own the set as I think each album sounds fab and spreading over 2 LPs really opens the sound up which is very nice to hear.

21. Truncheon1

Truncheon1 Active Member

Granted - much prefer some dodgy covers than a badly pressed vinyl. The purchase was worth it ($$$). Sound is awesome.

toddrhodes likes this.
  22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Are the Metallica vinyl reissues AAA?

23. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I'm sure somebody will know. My guess would be that they're ADA for the 80s ones, and DDA for the later ones, maybe with an analog mastering stage, if there is such a thing.

Soundslave and o0OBillO0o like this.
  24. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Depends on the reissues I suppose. My guess is all the albums prior to Metallica were analog, and the 1991 had some digital steps in it, but still was downmixed to tape, so I personally still count it as analog. Not sure about Load.
    As far as going through reissues, 2008 Universal were noted to be cut from tape, but the EQ choices are questionable for early albums. With the last remastering campaign I think after 2008 reissues all Blackened (those which don't use old Universal/MoFi stampers) are cut from digital by CB.

fretter likes this.
  25. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Is there an affordable black album reissue that’s worthwhile?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.