MFSL Atom Heart Mother CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I got so board tonight I actually played played my MFSL Atom Heart Mother. Did MoFi get this one right? It's the only version I have but I'm not too impressed with it. How does the current remaster compare to the MoFi?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. Ben

Ben New Member

All I can say about AHM is.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (shhh!)zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The MOFI sounds pretty good if you can make it through the whole thing...not one of the Floyd's better efforts overall (IMHO, of course)

Ben

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Aggreed. What's up w/ those funky background vocals?? I just listened to the whole thing for the first time in years and sound quality aside I may have to sell it.

Chris

4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Not Pink Floyd's most inspiring album...it has to be said. I have the MoFi CD and the EMI remaster from 1994. There's not much in it to my ears. I'd say the MoFi is slightly better but only just.

It was an unusual choice for MoFi. Shame they didn't get to remaster Piper or Animals instead.

5. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

Personally, I've always loved AHM and pretty much all the way through! I think the symphonic suite is very interesting for it's broad diverse ideas, one minute funky, one minute in outer space, one minute choral arts...I just love it to pieces. Side 2 is mostly a very mellow experience, with If and Fat Old Sun being my faves...tho Alan's Psych Breakfast got me through many a 70's morning;)
    I must have played that album 100,000 times! It now sits as my 2nd fave floyd of all time, just behind Wish YWH.
    I also think AHM established a more sophisticated direction for the band after spending the previous 3 years pretty much exclusively in outer space.
    I think the quad mix has more life in it, however....funky cows!

Bluebair likes this.
  6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I played "Alans Phsyc Breakfast" on college radio once. A few of the students who never liked Pink Floyd went out just to buy the CD because of that track. Atom Heart Mother is a weird album. It has loads of charm though, and even more creativity. I have the MFSL CD, and it's been the best experience. I still wish I had my stupid Capitol reissue on LP though. Moooo!

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Some will find the background vocal somewhat similar to the vocals in Alan Parsons 'I Robot'. Parsons engineered this album and the influence is obvious. Although it's not your "run-of-the-mill" Floyd I kinda like it myself.

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

"Alan's Psyc Breakfast" COOL:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

9. vex

vex New Member

Even being the Floyd head that I am, AHM never really did a lot for me. A lot of it is very thick with a lot going on. It wasn't until I head the quadraphonic version that I really appreciated the recording. The quad version really helps break out the mix and allows you to appreciate the skilful composition and engineering. Anyway, just my two cents...

10. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere, maybe on this board, that AHM was regarded by many as one of Mofi's worst transfers. I really can't see the problem with it. Admittedly, I haven't been able to compare with the standard EMI remaster, but I think the Mofi sounds pretty darn good. It's not my favourtie Floyd by a long shot, but has some classic moments, which are served well on the Mofi gold disc.

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Actually the best version of the AHM suite is one of the live versions doing the underground rounds without the Orchestra and choir. Pink Floyd often performed it in concert after the initial tour without any backing. Does anyone remember their PBS special from around 71. To me it was an absolutely amazing performance. I believe it was filmed at the PBS studios in San Francisco prior to them playing the Fillmore that evening. They played AHM, Careful with that Axe, Grandchester Medows, Set the Controls, Saucerful, etc. . I would love to see a legit release on DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.