DCC Archive MFSL Eat A Peach - Ultradisc I or Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Randy W, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy W

Randy W Original Member Thread Starter

I've always been curious about the Ultradisc I version of Allman Brothers "Eat A Peach". Does anyone have any opinions on how this compares to the MFSL vinyl or recently remastered domestic CD? I really enjoy some of the songs on this album, but the MFSL is a bit muddy and the new CD is a bit bright for my tastes. Thanks.

2. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

Because of the relationship between "Eat a Peach" and "Live at Fillmore East" I might ramble a bit but here goes. I found the MFSL gold disk reissues of "Eat a Peach" and "Live at Fillmore East" to be rather expensive versions of these releases. I note this because the sound on these UDCDs is not as good as the original Capricorn label vinyl.

The Nautilus release of "Fillmore East" is a good re-issue, but it is as rare as who know what's on a bull.

The MFSL LP version of "Eat a Peach" is pretty good but rare. I don't know who remastered this as it sounds as if someone juiced the treble a smidgen. This is not objectionable; it just doesn't sound as smooth as a Capricorn original. The MFSL sounds a little bright to me. If you can get a decent price on the MFSL vinyl, get it by all means. However, if you can get an original Capricorn issue, I don't think you will be disappointed.

3. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

I have the Ultradisc I and the MFSL vinyl. I was disappointed to discover I don't have this on Capricorn, or Polydor. :eek:

I like the vinyl for its stage presence. I hear the whole band and how they're relating. But in comparison to the UDCD the vinyl does sound sluggish, as you say, muddy.

I think the UDCD may be too bright, too. No sluggishness, real immediacy, more information (the tone and timbre of Duane's guitar). It is sharper, edgier, almost shrill on the CD. I was surprised by this, but the CD may actually reflect the reality more accurately. I don't know, I never saw Duane live.

I appreciate the clearness and edge, the "more information" of the UDCD, but I am swept away by the feel and cohesion of the vinyl, sluggishness and all.

My 2 cents.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: justhefax ]

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

Personnally, I really like the MFSL. I thought it was "more full" than the Capricorn disc.

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Having owned both the MFSL LP and the Ultrdisc I Eat A Peach, my vote goes to the gold CD. Doesn't sound to trebley to these ears.

6. Randy W

Randy W Original Member Thread Starter

Thanks everyone - now does anyone have a UD1 of Eat a Peach they want to sell or trade?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.