MFSL Help! LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Carsell, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to this last night and for some reason it seems like the song Help was EQ'd a lot brighter than the rest of the album (which sounds pretty good to these ears).

I know MFSL Beatles LP's aren't perfect by any means, but to have 1 song way too high ended in comparison the the rest of the LP is strange.

Did MFSL management rush their engineers or were they even listening to test pressings or what??

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nope. A tricky situation when cutting at 1/2 speed. Lots of high-end in that song. Even more in "Please Please Me' where the harmonicas distort in the title track. Sounds like a bad stylus when you're playing it, but it's not.

I believe Stan did his best with what he had to do.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

As Stan Ricker has told it, he was given EQ "instructions" by one of the MFSL bosses. Thus everything is brighter than Stan would have personally wanted it. This is discussed somewhere, probably numerous times, somewhere in this forum's back pages. Not to mention EQ instructions from Steve, on how to tame the MFSL's.

4. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

I don't have the MFSL LP, but yeah, the stereo mix of the title track is different from the rest of the stereo mixes in lots of ways -- EQ, balance, panning, ambience, etc. A lot of the other tunes sound pleasantly dark, to me...not on the MFSL, I guess?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.