MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Yes, only mine are not as bad. Thanks for pointing it out. I have cross-posted there.

3. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

keep us posted - I've been using MOFI sleeves for a few years now and have never noticed this problem. But I'm due to buy a new pack soon...

4. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

Never had an issue...

5. oregonalex

Have you bought any this year? The problem seems to be limited to sleeves bought in 2012.

6. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

Yes. A 50 pack...

7. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Strangely, I think I have the same issue on some of mine - I cleaned Europe 72 part 2 (4 lps) and mofi sleeved them, and when I went to play a record a week
    or so later, noticed a very light film over entire record. it did dry brush off. Problem is, I think it was only that one 4 lp set. It's possible that it's moisture from my humidifier blasting in my small living room (not enough to coat windows, but pretty serious amounts of moisture and static?? My records are so disorganized now, I can't tell which other one's have been recently resleeved, so probably won't see it again, (till I see it... ) What other brands of sleeves are comparable replacements?

8. oregonalex

I am not surprised. I suspect the problem is more widespread then it appears. After all, I bought the sleeves at different times from different retailers and all have the problem. It's just that most of us inspect records only upon receipt, and not after they've been put into the sleeves. You won't likely notice this if you just casually pull the record out to put it on the turntable. It needs to be carefully inspected under bright light and looked at at an angle.

Anyway, MoFi wrote back to me that they are investigating the issue and will let me know.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

I have seen quite a few old records in old plastic sleeves of various types with this effect, sometimes severe. I don't use MOFI sleeves, though, I put almost everything in sleevetown Audiophile Inner sleeves, and haven't had any problems. I prefer the usability of these sleeves over the flimsier MOFI type. I cannot specifically recall if I've seen this effect on VRP or Mofi sleeves on older used stuff. It's always washed right off, so it's never really worried me, though I wouldn't put my records in sleeves that did this. I have never tried to play a record with this effect, though, so I don't know if it would be at all audible. My hunch would be that it is merely on the surface and shouldn't affect play, but I don't know.

edit: I just pulled out my 45rpm Mofi Dylan (#1985) to take a peek, turns out I left it in the Mofi sleeves it came in, I see no effects, the surface is pristine. Though, now I'm tempted to drop the discs in a sleevetown sleeve out of an abundance of caution. Intriguing.

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I ordered another batch from amazon, 50 pack I'll let you know if any issues with these later today, so far no issues with the previous ones I've bought this year, interesting

11. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Mofi inner sleeves are a waste of money.

Save yourself some $$ and buy the plain old el cheap u shaped poly inner sleeves.

Marshall_SLX likes this.
  12. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

bayen and others that posted, is this a sound, or just a visual issue? I've used MFSL stuff for years, and never had an issue soundwise, I may have have had some 'smudging' on the surface of some Lp's, and even some Cd's, my point is who the F cares if it doesn't apply to the sound, this is just silly IMHO, I prize my 1st edition MOFI's like everyone else, as long as they sound great, what is the problem??

Stu~

13. oregonalex

I don't think it is audible yet. But how do we know the stuff does not migrate into the grooves over time and become audible later?
    There is no need to risk it. Hopefully, MoFi will provide some answers after they've had a chance to look into it.

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Do plastics use corndust or starch as a release agent? Wonder if that's what it is, any-hoot wouldn't want that in my grooves, still waiting on my pack from fed-ex, will use a black phone microfiber on the inside to see if it picks up anything

15. oregonalex

Very unlikely. It has very fine grain structure. More like talcum powder or even finer.
    Also put a clean record in and gently press a finger on the deadwax area through the plastic sleeve. Then look at it at an angle under a 100W bulb and you'll know.

16. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

So you say, discerning vinylphiles think differently.

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I have used the formentioned, have over 5000 albums and my system is adequate.

I think you might be confusing discerning and gullible vinylphile. I would love you to explain what the mofi inner sleeves do better than the cheap poly inner sleeves, besides leaving a white residue.

I am not here for a pissing contest unlike yourself, just here to save fellow music lovers some $$ on ripoff overpriced inner sleeves

18. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

just saw this thread after starting my own. I am experiencing the EXACT same problem as the OP, and I did exactly the same. Cleaned about 200 Lp's with the Mofi wash on a VPI 16.5, They look mint perfect. into the sleeve they go, then when they come out, they have that residue! What to do except clean them all over? What a hassle.....btu what is the problem. So all the Mofi wash I used was wasted and so was the money I spent on 200 sleeves!!

any response from Mofi?

19. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

I do not use the MOFI inner sleeves because I prefer a stiffer poly sleeve. But the reason I spend coin on sleeves almost as expensive as the MOFI sleeves (diskeeper audiophile ultimate) is because they are a mixture of reasonably affordable (for me) and extremely usable. They are anti-static, make it extremely easy to insert/remove an LP in the sleeve without scuffing or unnecessary handling, and because they have a sheet of paper sealed into the sleeve on one side for added rigidity- they are the easiest to slide in/out of the record's outer sleeve for me. The flimsier plastic sleeves the corners fold over and make a big gnarled blobby mess, paper is awful, and as someone who actually plays my records, it's worth avoid the aggravation and frustration of trying to get the damn sleeves in and out, particularly when I leave pertinent original sleeves in there too, which makes space tight.

I could save some money by getting much cheaper sleeves, but they don't perform the same, and are a royal PITA. My sanity is worth a few extra cents an album.

Your opinion is that they are a ripoff, but they sure aren't to me. That's just, like, your opinion, man.

20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

OK, I will add some detail here.
    I have not chosen the cheaper sleeves just because they are cheaper - the more expensive sleeves offer no performance increase imo. BTW, agree, paper is the worst as they do surface scratch the vinyl each time you pull in and out, they are thrown as soon as a buy any LP.
    I have been buying and playing vinyl for 30 years and play around 30 hours per week - so please don't insinuate I am some sort of collector who does not play records - just the opposite in fact. I have never had one single issue with the sleeves I use below and they are a lot cheaper - the only issue i have had are the Nagoaka sleeves which years ago seemed to lose their anti static and like some others have mentioned left some strange residue.

I use the covers 33 type polylined paper sleeves that have the curved edges for easy slide in and out for any LP that does not have a carboard lyric sheet or similar. I have been using these for close to 20 years. These are used by most of the Euro pressing plants when they are doing premium/audiophile pressings.
    The diskeeper polylined paper sleeves I hate (any premium RTI pressing has these type) - as imo they are so much more difficult to pull in and out than the Euro curved edge sleeves. the mofi sleeves imo are just bad.

For any LP that has a cardboard with lyrics, photos, production credits - I put the plain ole U shaped poly inner sleeves. I do not have any issues in these becoming big gnarled blobby mess, as they are inserted into the cardboard. Not sure what you are doing.

Can't really comment on statis as I clean my records whenever I buy a new LP with a RCM. If you do not have one, highly recommended.

If you and others want to continue buying what you do, enjoy For me picture 1 and 4 are they way to go

http://covers33.co.uk/index.php/record/12-white-paper-polylined-sleeve

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

razorball likes this.
  21. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

So you're not using paper sleeves, you're using poly lined sleeves. The truth is out. Plain paper sleeves, the kind you were pushing before you started telling the truth, shed, they scratch vinyl, they tear and allow dust onto the record surface. But you knew that anyway.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/lp_sleaves.htm

22. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me! It was a PITA too. I'm done with MOFI sleeves. There are plenty of other options and since I switched to Sleeve City no more problems with that "residue".

23. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

RTI does not use the sleeves you were describing. They use a pink plastic sleeve with no paper backing.

25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?