MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

This thread needs more lint free sock pictures.

2. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I just ordered 5 packs of these, I'll now spend my holidays going through and replacing all my mofi sleeves that have the residue...might even just replace them all just to be safe. I'll probably re-clean any vinyl that has the residue, maybe just a quick pass on the vpi with some distilled water as it seems the residue wipes off pretty easily. I'm then going to box them up and ship them to mofi asking for a refund for this defective merchandise, or they can give me store credit.

3. John

John Senior Member

Hmmm, I bought a pack a few months ago. I will have to try the black sock test. I do seem to recall a residue feeling on the inner sleeves on a few recently bagged LPs. I will have to check the condition of these. Im glad I happened upon this thread!

4. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

I love the MoFi sleeves and I've purchased several 50 pc. packs of these from my local retailer this year. After reading this thread, I checked a few records and didn't see any marks on the vinyl (100W lamp) or detect any residue on the inside of the sleeves. Maybe they had 'NOS'. I'll count myself as lucky.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Nitty Gritty also offers record sleeves. They are very high quality and feature a heavy cotton paper jacket with plastic liner. They cost a little more than most other brands but I've never had a quality issue.
    -bill

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I ordered from Sleeve City as well. I found an online discount too...just enter tweet15 at the time of checkout in the coupon code box and they'll knock 15% off your order. At least it worked for me....hopefully a few of you guys will have the same results.

7. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

thanks for the discount code...saved me $20. I ordered 500 and got a quantity discount too. No more mofi even if they do fix it.

8. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Just found this residue on some new sleeves I ordered from Amazon. I looked for it yesterday, but didn't see it until tonight with a new record I had just placed in the sleeve. I emailed MoFi.

9. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

SO I called them directly yesterday. Talked to a customer service guy named John. He said his supervisor knows all about this issue. I mentioned this thread here and how a bunch of audiophiles, ie great customers, are having issues. he called me back today and said they are taking it very seriously. he said his supervisor is comign up with a plan to take care of this issue and he would call me back by friday. I urge you to call them at music direct, or at the very least email them if you have a problem. I had mentioned that I KNEW he had received other complaints already and it is mainly because I knew people here had already complained. I mentioned this forum and this thread

Personally I want a refund on the 200 sleeves I bought, a refund on the at LEAST 2 bottles of cleaner it will take to remove them and then I will at least be even. This does to speak to the massive amount of time it will take to clean 200 records and re-sleeve them, but that is something they probably cant account for. if they at least give me a credit for the purchase I made I will be happy enough. hopefully everyone who is going through this like me will be taken care of. we will see.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Well they never bothered answering to my e-mail, which annoys me in a way. I am glad that there are other choices out there, as I am not planning to buy any inner sleeves from MOFI again.

11. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Give it time, they did answer mine right away last week saying they'll investigate it and let me know, but haven't heard from them since.

I also emailed my dealer (sleevecityusa.com) and they replied that the problem is hopefully being taken care of and they should have replacement sleeves from MoFi within the next week or two. I asked them to replace a pack of MoFis that I bought from them recently with Diskeeper Audiophiles, which they agreed to do right away.

Interestingly, I checked a few other dealers including MoFi themselves, and the MoFi sleeves show in stock and ready to ship everywhere. Does it mean that they have not pulled the defective ones and merrily keep on selling them?

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Give them a chance. I'm assuming they don't have a factory next-door, it's probably half a world away via subcontractors and language barriers. If something changed at the factory it might take them a while to figure out, and it might take them even longer to figure out a fix for it.

13. bayen

bayen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, it's been two weeks since my discovery and communication with the supplier of the sleeves and I have replacements on the way. I was offered replacement MFSL sleeves , from what MOFI claims is a new shipment, but I decided to go with the Diskeeper sleeves. MoFi did not address what may be causing the marks or if they have changed the way the sleeves are manufactured but did mention that they are aware of the problem and pointed out that they are also aware of the numerous audio forums were members are discussing the issue. I would really like to know what happened..but don't think we'll hear much more from them.

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well...that's fine then, as they won't be hearing much more from me either.

15. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Add one more to the list.

I live in Mumbai, India and I ordered a 50 pack of Mofi inner sleeves from Acoustic Sounds. I had a few brand new records that I cleaned and put in the sleeves. Less than 5 minutes later, I pulled out the records to listen and i saw the awful residue marks. At first I thought it was a problem with my RCM and maybe it wasn't drying the records enough, so I waited an hour for them to dry and then put them in.. same problem. Glad it's not just me, but sucks that I am stuck with a bunch of useless sleeves! Maybe I'll just have to write them off.. it's going to be tough to get a replacement sent to India, and even if they did I am scared to use Mofi inners now.

16. oregonalex

I now also have replacement Diskeepers on the way from my retailer for all the defective MoFis I bought from them this year. I also have not heard from MoFi themselves beyond their initial acknowledgement of my email. It would have been nice to know what the problem was and whether it is truly harmless to the records, but that is probably too much to ask for.

17. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I haven't heard from MoFi since their initial email either. I bought mine through an Amazon Vendor, I haven't contacted them yet as they are no longer selling the sleeves through Amazon. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I have since ordered more sleeves from another vendor, not MoFi sleeves. If MoFi don't respond, I will not buy their sleeves again.

18. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

It is my regret to report that I just opened two brand new Mofi LPs by Sinatra, and they look like crud! They have odd scuff like marks all over them. There's also a milky white film spread all around the playing surface. I've never seen anything like it on a Mofi product. Until now, they had a 100% perfect quality control record with me.

Now I'm trying to clean them. This defective inner sleeve issue is very real. Curious to find out what Music Direct has to say...

19. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

Just put some of my newly cleaned discs into Disckeeper sleeves from Sleeve City. I've been wanting to try these and this was reason to try something else. The last batch of sleeves from MoFi left marks on the dead wax where I pressed a finger. I'll continue to use their products and support them financially but maybe not buy their sleeves until the problem has been remedied. Mistakes happen and we should not throw out the baby with the bath water so to speak.

20. Distortions

Distortions Forum Resident

What a rip-off. Does anyone know how long this has been going on?

21. bayen

bayen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did a thorough search through my collection and the problem seems to have started around Febuary..almost a year ago.

22. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

Well, my luck ran out today. Since I haven't had any issues up 'till now, I rolled the dice and bought another pack of 50 from the retailer that I've been using. I checked the first sleeve that I pulled from the bag and it left marks just like the ones pictured earlier in the thread. I guess I'll be returning them tomorrow. My retailer puts a date on their stock sleeve; this one is from December 2012, so it looks like there are problem sleeves still out there.

Time to look for another sleeve supplier. :cry:

23. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

I've been hit by this also...misery loves company I guess.

24. oregonalex

What irks me the most is that MoFi has never gotten back to me with any explanation or remedy offer.

SleeveCity, where I bought some of the MoFi sleeves, on the other hand, has been exemplary, and replaced the defective MoFis with Diskeepers right away. Good peeps.

25. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Yep, after the initial email saying they were looking into it, MoFi never got back to me either. Apparently never notified retailers about potential problems in their stock either.