MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've been checking my lps from recent purchases and I have yet to find a problem. Could this be an isolated situation? I suppose that is hard to answer since the company hasn't told anyone what causes it and they probably won't.

2. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Seems to be the situation. I have used MOFI sleeves for about 4-5 years and I can echo that this is the first time I've encountered the issue after purchasing maybe 150-2oo a year. I also believe the new production of what seem to be thinner or flimsier sleeves have created this unacceptable batch. Everyone is saying that it isn't affecting sound...I'd be interested to know if it colors or dulls the sound at all on freshly cleaned LP's.

3. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

My pack of Diskeeper Audiophile sleeves just arrived in the mail today. Never even heard of them before stumbling across this thread. Just got a VPI 16.5 RCM and want to minimize any chances of things getting mucked up in the process! :righton:

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

While I'd hazzard a guess that it doesn't have an effect on sound quality I'm not surprised to hear this since the company was bought a year or so ago. I forget who bought them but that usually means down sizing, quality changes and usually not for the good of the customers and other things to decrease costs and increase profit margins. That seals it for me. I think I'll be switching to another product and fortunately there are many choices in this very thread to consider. See ya MoFi!

Sleeve City here I come!

5. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

I returned my defective sleeves today and traded them in for some old stock that they had on the shelf (no Geodisc ad on the back and the stock label was dated 12/2011). No grime from these old sleeves. My next purchase will be Diskeepers.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

MFSL is still owned by Music Direct as far as I've heard. Any source for this?

7. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

johnnypaddock likes this.
  8. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks for posting that... much appreciated. I'm going to put in an order this afternoon. I've got a recent MoFi sleeves purchase and have noticed the same thing with the residue... WTF!! I am not looking forward to cleaning a bunch of records again, but I've got to do it. Once the Diskeeper sleeves come, I'll get that project done.

9. Ernest Jr.

Ernest Jr. New Member

Just noticed same problem tonight. Went searching and found this thread. Painful but real problem. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the response from mofi. My sleeves rolled in fall 2012. I have other mofi sleeves from earlier in 2012 that have no problems at all.

10. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

You're welcome.

11. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I ordered some of the Diskeeper sleeves yesterday after seeing your post. I stuck with the "audiophile" version, and went with 100... looks like the same style as MoFi, which I've always used, and I'm guessing the quality control is a bit tighter.

12. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

In late December Music Direct sent me two new Mofi Sinatra LPs. The records sound nice, but both had the funky residue on the vinyl. The residue sort reminds me of the powder that's on some latex and vinyl disposable gloves.

So I called Music Direct. The salesman said he had never heard of this problem. He asked me if the "dust" could have occurred during shipping.

13. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Sad to see Music Direct basically putting their head in the sand and ignoring customers complaints. :confused:

14. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Well, they did give me the option to return the records (at my own expense). I would have to give up the low serial number jackets with no guarantee of a similar lower number. So, of course kept the records and cleaned them. The salesman also said he would "alert the Boss Man".

Perhaps my expectations are too high, but "Special Static Free - Dust Free Inner Sleeve" is proudly advertised on the back of Mofi LP jackets.

15. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

I just opened a MFSL LP (Pretenders - Learning To Crawl) that I purchased recently and it has the same problems that all of you are describing. It's especially bad on the lead-in (I thought it was scuffed at first) and in the deadwax. It plays fine though, the grooves themselves are only slightly marked. I haven't tried cleaning it yet, but from what's been posted it hopefully should come off easily.

I did buy a pack of MFSL sleeves a few months ago that haven't given me any problems at all.

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That's probably the one and same. Time moves a lot faster these days. I knew they were owned by somebody but couldn't remember at the moment. I blame the gin and tonic I was drinking at the time.
    Sorry for the confusion.

17. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I posted in this thread and wanted to update my situation. I called Mofi with my story about hwo I got 200 fo them, had to waste 2 bottles of cleaner blah blah blah. they called me back a few days later adn TOTALLY MADE IT RIGHT! they sent me 4 bottles of cleaner for free, $80 value, to clean all the records that have to be recleaned. THEN they gave me an additional credit for my entire original purchase. WHen my new order came to about $12 over the credit I now had, they also gave me THAT as a credit and called it even...so they went WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND anythign they had to do to make it right. KUDOS to Music Direct. Raoul was my go to guy at customer service. they know about this problem

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

My Allman Brothers Band vinyl LP I just bought has the problem with the sleeve. I cleaned the record and it played fine and I used another MFSL sleeve that I had to replace it. There's definitely a manufacturing difference with these sleeves. It seemed thinner and not as well made.

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

No problem.

20. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

Glad I saw this thread. I noticed this on my last box of MoFi sleeves and thought it might be my fluid (recently changed to VPI fluid) or that I asn't getting the record dry enough. Haven't noticed it with my current box but since this is apparently a known issue I'll try those sleeve city ones next.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Just for the record, I never got a response from MOFI. I sent them two e-mails and they did not even acknowledged that they are aware of the issue. I have no idea whether they have attempted to rectify the problems with the inner sleeves or not. I am very happy with my Disckeeper sleeves so at this point I don't really care.
    But, as a long time customer of MOFI I never though that I would say this, shame on you MOFI for treating your customers like that!!!

22. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

I ordered these ones last night after I read this thread, and the coupon still works. Thanks for saving me some $$! :agree:

23. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I've been using the Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile inner sleeves for over two years and have been very pleased. They are heavy and yet they will fit inside most of the decorated paper inner sleeves of my records. I've never had a problem with residue or them sticking to records. This sleeve is only a bit more expensive than the MoFi and Sleeve City does have sales and quantity discounts on them.

Sleeve City has a bunch of other inner and outer sleeves, including an outer sleeve for box sets. Check them out.

24. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

It has been a month and I have not received any resolution or explanation from MoFi, so I forwarded my MoFi e-mail to Music Direct and requested at least a return of the defective sleeves for a store credit. Got an email back today from a rep named Emily:

"Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that you are getting residue from your sleeves. I have heard about this issue, though this is the first time I’ve gotten an email about it and I am not sure how we are remedying this. All of the managers are at the CES trade show this week and are difficult to get a hold of, so if you don’t mind, I will follow up with you as soon as I get a response; this may not be until next Tuesday or Wednesday. I apologize for any inconvenience."

At least they got back to me...

25. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Great pic of Frank on the bowl :)