MFSL's UHQR's question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

How much better were MFSL's UHQR's? What was it that actually made them better. Weren't they even $50 when they were still making them? That was a lot of $$$ back then.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

IIRC, the main differences were heavier vinyl, and special packaging. Sound-wise, I don't know...never owned one.

3. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

they were an experimental format of Mofi well sounding but too expensive.

Attached Files:

4. Dob

Dob New Member

The best (digital) version of Sgt. Peppers that I've heard is a needle drop CD-R made from the UHQR vinyl. It definitely beats the needle drop taken from the regular Mofi vinyl.

5. Dob

Dob New Member

Me neither, and I bought a lot of Mofi vinyl. Just too darn expensive!

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

At one point I owned ever UHQR, all except Sgt. Pepper are totally dispensible. Sgt is without a doubt the best version I've ever heard. The dynamics and detail are not to believed.

7. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I actually had the chance to listen to a MFSL copy of Cat Stevens "Tea for Tillerman" on the normal MFSL vinyl and the UHQR. I did not expect to hear much of a difference, but as you can imagine that was not the case.

Obviously, the tonal characteristics were very similar and the amount of detail was close, but different. I made my observations and then had my other half listen to both versions, as women have better hearing than men.

The difference was very noticeable and worth it if you want the best of the best. If one of these lp's are one of your favorites, you may wish to buy one at $70 to $100 if you have the extra money. The best way to describe the difference was that the UHQR was much more complete, more coherent than the normal version. I find this in many different audiophile systems. You can listen to a system and all the sounds are present, but they are not complete or put together correctly. The system that has coherence actually sounds like a band playing instead of 100 different sounds. The UHQR had a coherence and impact that was much better than the normal pressing. I would recommend it to anyone who finds one that is somewhat reasonably priced.

8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I own them all.

I agree with these Pepper comments, BTW...

9. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Having owned a few of these, Sgt. pepper,I robot ,Tea for Tillerman, Crime of the century,I can honestly say they were the best vinyl copies i have ever owned.
    Alas,I had to sell them in a moment of financial distress. ( Damn)

10. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Im dying to listen the the Sgt. Pepper UHQR..even a needle drop. It´s such a good album oh my god The Beatles...
    Sorry. :laugh:

11. Dob

Dob New Member

That's what I've been told...what I can't figure out is why this hobby seems to be dominated by men. Are we trying to compensate for our deficiencies? :)

12. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

They were absolutely superb for lack of surface noise, warp, etc. and I miss mine every day. I had most of them but, as Ed said above, I had to let ALL my vinyl go....dang.

13. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

Too bad they were just 8, even I heard rumours about an UHQR abbey road test pressing...regarding pepper there's people who says that NIMBUS supercut edition sounded even better and is even rarer.( goes for $1500 on ebay--crazy money)

ezio

14. Dob

Dob New Member

Has anyone else compared UHQR vs regular MFSL titles? I'd be interested in your comments.

15. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

The titles I owned were consistently better than their regular counterparts.
    Especially Sgt. pepper . What I wouldn't give to still have that. :(

16. Dob

Dob New Member

Thanks, Ed. Seems like everyone loves that UHQR Pepper...

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

There's Sgt. Pepper UHQR for sale sealed at eBay right now.
    However a buyer named megabucks has a bid on it for $400.

I wouldn't try to go against him...

His last 5 won items (all sealed LPs):

DCC Love is the Thing.....$125
    DCC Court and Spark......$150
    DCC Chicago TA MFSL.....$224.50
    Earl Klug MFSL UHQR.......$88.11
    Abbey Road MFSL.........$91.11

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'd like to know Steve's opinion.

19. Dob

Dob New Member

Wow..."megabucks" indeed!

20. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Just the name megabucks scares me away

21. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

Keep an eye over a mint or near mint one: it goes for half price if you wait for right item.
    if you want to open it and hear it. It will be easier to resell at this price and I can't think about a similar record not carefully kept even open. good luck

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is what I did. Mine is near mint for half the price. :edthumbs:

23. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Imagine a Sgt Pepper UHQR needle drop to 24/192 DVD-A via Wavelab! Would it be worth doing this way?

24. Dob

Dob New Member

Makes sense...you would figure that anyone buying one of these new would have taken good care of it.

25. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

MFSL UHQR Beatles Still Sealed FS in classifieds section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.